The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, looks like I will be working a sophomore and then a varsity scrimmage Friday night. First time in the stripes.

What can I expect?

It's supposed to be five-man mechanics, and we're supposed to get the opportunity to try all five positions.

If anyone has gone through this before, or if you have helped new people get through a scrimmage situation before, and could let me know what to expect, I'd greatly appreciate the heads-up.

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 10:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Where are you going?

Best way to tell you is read as much about each position. Expect to make a lot of mistakes. Expect to be overwhelmed. Expect to have more questions afterwards. They probably will not do any kicking plays, so that you might not learn that much from that aspect of the game.

Just have fun and get ready to start a wonderful journey.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

You'll be so lost, it probably won't matter.

Keep your whistle out of your mouth, this ain't basketball.

Try to mirror a fellow official to get a feel for what's happening.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Keep WWWIIIDDDEEE. Stay BACK, Be redy to give ground.
Especially in the umpire position. If you aren't an experienced linebacker, start a good 8 to 10 yards back.
Give yourself time to get used to seeing the world from another angle. Head on!

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what everyone else said, and I wish to add one more thing--expect the coaches to yap (quite a bit...or more that expected anyway). I was working a scrimmage last year, and a QB was hit hard after he crossed the sideline, so I called a late hit on B on the play. I suppose if this game were on television, the announcers would say this was a "close" call, but it was definitely a foul. The B coach complained about the call. I knew I was right, the call was there, etc., but I wanted to say to him "coach, this is just a scrimmage," but I figured he would not appreciate that. Not that you shouldn't expect coaches to "argue" for their team, but it will be more than you expect. Also, have fun, and best of luck.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I think it's just one team going against itself, not two teams. Though I could be wrong about that.

I'm going to try to make notes of where to line up on scrimmage plays and each type of kick (just in case there are kicks) so at least I'm standing in the right place. I figure that'll be half the battle.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

One word....HUSTLE. As with any sport you officiate, HUSTLE makes up for a lot of inexperience. Coaches will overlook a lot if they see you busting your butt out there.

I remember my first varsity game on the field. I was umpiring and felt lost as a goose. I thought people in the stands must surely be laughing at me. Expect to be very uncomfortable. It'll get better. Make mental notes of what you did right...repeat those...and what you did wrong...correct those (if you don't know how, ask you white hat between quarters). Learn the mechanics.. they make life easier by giving you a routine to repeat...every time.

We put new guys on the clock and tell them...keep one eye on the Referee and the other on the umpire.
Once they hit the field, I prefer giving them one position and letting them build some confidence there. We usually start them in the middle...away from the coaches.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I think what everyone is saying is on point. Just have fun. If you accomplish nothing else than having fun you have done really good.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

If it's one team going against itself it will be VERY low-key and enjoyable to work and learn on the job. I did a D-II scrimmage last night, one team against itself. No real kicking and QB protected. It was a good opportunity to put the stripes on prior to a real game.

Watch players, not the ball! Have fun! The learning curve is steep early on, so you will feel comfortable soon.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Overandback: Here is some sound advice I got from my trainer in my first year. BayouUmp hit one of them. Before I get into this very short list you need to know there are some thing you don't have control over. You have control in learning rules and mechanics but you don't know them all yet and it takes time.

So, FOCUS ON THE THINGS YOU DO HAVE CONTROL OVER.

4 things you definitely have control over:

1) Be on time. There is probably no other bigger cardinal sin in officiating than being late. (Ok, there's one which would be betting on the game in which case the official should be shot.) But seriously, make sure you're there in a timely manner.

2) Hustle (but don't hurry). BayouUmp pointed this out. There's nothing worse than a slacker on the crew.

3) Communicate. Don't be a mute. Communicate with your partners. They're the only friends you have in the ballpark. If you're vocal with your partners they'll definitely appreciate it.

4) Be clean. Look the part. Be in full, clean uniform. That is...SHOES SHINED, clean knickers (or shorts for scrimmages), clean shaven (or neatly trimmed facial hair). In other words, don't look like a slob...period.

You have 100% complete control over those 4 things.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm covered on those, so thanks!

I'm planning to be there 90 minutes before.

Hustle I can do.

Communication is my business.

Everything I have is brand new, and I'm clean-shaven.

Having had the basketball experience helps a bit, I think, because there's something mental about feeling like you belong on the court/field in an official capacity, and you can't fake that. But if you have it, it can make up for a lot.

Supposedly they're going to have us try all five positions for a bit during the two hours (sophomores for an hour, varsity for an hour).
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

We all remember our first experience on the field! My first game was a peewee game. Two officials. I had the chains. I had no clue what was going on. I had to keep the official time and I remembered to start and stop the clock sporadically in the first half, but I think it all worked out in the end. I felt like an imposter. But it gets better.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck and have fun!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

At 6:44pm CT tonight, I realized something:

This is fun!

Of course, it was only a scrimmage and only one team in a controlled environment and nobody booing, but it was fun.

Outside of my schedule saying scrimmages at 6pm and 7pm, and showing up at 4:45 and finding six other guys already in stripes on the field ready for a 5pm scrimmage, it went off well.

I worked as line judge for the freshman and the sophomore scrimmage. Every play it seemed like there was one more layer to add on to as far as stuff to pay attention to ("You mean I have to pay attention to that, too?") but it was a great learning experience.

At one point we had ten guys in stripes out there - veteran guys helping us out and the experienced crew did the varsity game while we watched.

One of our instructors from the class I'm taking (a college umpire) was there and was extremely helpful.

Good stuff. I'm hooked.

Of course, it hasn't rained yet, and coaches haven't gotten in my ear yet, and I haven't blown a big call yet. But as first nights go, this one was pretty darn good.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Kinda works it's way under your skin...doesn't it.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!