Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 07:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Jurassic:
You imply passiveness on Howard's just 'landing' on an opponent. I get a sense that he made a mid-course maneuver to actively (and illegally) perform screening action that swayed the decision from no call to illegal screen. I think we can divine intent to screen from his blatant redirection after he released the ball. Just seems like the right call at the time.
Mid-course maneuver? Blatant re-direction? Are you serious?

Maybe I gotta learn to read minds or predict the future. When I looked at the play, I saw:
1) a player jump into the air with the ball
2) that airborne player pass the ball
3) that airborne player then land on an opponent that moved into the path of his jump

Those are facts. What I don't know ....or should try to guess either imo..... is the intent of either the passer or defender. I'll leave that to others that are way smarter than me.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Mar 25, 2011 at 07:19pm.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Friday's early games - first half (x2) - let the beatings commence. Wow!
Yeah-huh. Thrash-o-matic.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 07:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
1) Being airborne doesn't magically give you the right to land if that spot is also in the path of another player who has the right to that spot.

2) What if, in the process of defending a shot, the defender was airborne while the shooter is still on the floor? What if the shooter then moves into the airborne defender's path in the process of taking the shot? Offensive foul for moving into the spot of an airborne player since the airborne player has a right to land?

3) If you are suggesting that an airborne player must always be allowed to land, then no defender who gets pumped faked into the air can ever commit foul when the shooter ducks under them.

4) As I said before, we have two conflicting rules.... guarding rules vs. screening rules ....with opposing requirements. Each rule requires that the guard/screener allow the other player certain rights and those rights conflict. We have to decide if the defender was guarding or the offensive player was screening.

5) In this play, the net effect was a screen.
1) What rule gives any opponent the right to a spot under an airborne player when that opponent did not have that spot when the player went airborne?

2) Yup, I think a player should be allowed to land if there was no one in his path when he went airborne.

3) Yup. A shooter can't legally jump into an opponent. And if a defender jumps within his vertical plane, a shooter can't move under him legally either.

4) Yup, it's a judgment call imo too.

5) But was the net effect an illegal screen? That's where the judgment lies.

As I said, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Camron.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 07:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Yeah-huh. Thrash-o-matic.
"We wuz doing real good until the big boys got outa school."
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Jurassic:
You imply passiveness on Howard's just 'landing' on an opponent. I get a sense that he made a mid-course maneuver to actively (and illegally) perform screening action that swayed the decision from no call to illegal screen. I think we can divine intent to screen from his blatant redirection after he released the ball. Just seems like the right call at the time.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. It is obvious that the Wisc player made an adjustment in the air for the sole purpose of impeding the progress of the Butler player. Had he not done this, it would have not been a foul.
If you watch the clip again you can see him turn in mid air eyeing up Howard. This is not exactly a common occurence but I have personal knowledge of people who do/did this. Like I said 9 times out of 10 this gets missed.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 08:24pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
We've discussed this before.....

1:13 left in the UNC/MQ Game, UNC up by 21 and with the ball coming up the court. TWEEEET! Ref elects to stop the game and bring the subs at the table in.

No complaints, no issues, no reason other than - the ref took it upon himself to get the subs in and get the players on the court for a few secs in the NCAAs.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1:13 left in the UNC/MQ Game, UNC up by 21 and with the ball coming up the court. TWEEEET! Ref elects to stop the game and bring the subs at the table in.

No complaints, no issues, no reason other than - the ref took it upon himself to get the subs in and get the players on the court for a few secs in the NCAAs.
Roy called a TO just for Substitute purposes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 08:49pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Roy called a TO just for Substitute purposes
Got it. Thanks.

But, they didn't actually take the TO right? Game just continued.

One of our Rec Leagues used to have a "Substitution TO."
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 09:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Got it. Thanks.

But, they didn't actually take the TO right? Game just continued.

One of our Rec Leagues used to have a "Substitution TO."
In NCAA you can take abbreviated time-outs. In this case it's standard for the requesting coach to signal it's a substitution time-out by giving the travelling mechanic.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In NCAA you can take abbreviated time-outs. In this case it's standard for the requesting coach to signal it's a substitution time-out by giving the volleyball/soccer substitution signal.
Fixed it for ya!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 09:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) What rule gives any opponent the right to a spot under an airborne player when that opponent did not have that spot when the player went airborne?

2) Yup, I think a player should be allowed to land if there was no one in his path when he went airborne.

3) Yup. A shooter can't legally jump into an opponent. And if a defender jumps within his vertical plane, a shooter can't move under him legally either.

4) Yup, it's a judgment call imo too.

5) But was the net effect an illegal screen? That's where the judgment lies.

As I said, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, Camron.
Which goes back to my and Snaq's question. So now a screener can go airborne into the path of a guard and thus becomes absolved for any responsibility for the contact that ensues?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

This was from the Arizona vs. Duke game

Foul on the defender for his initial forward movement into the offensive player? Just a foul on the follow through? Or do you have no foul? Also brought this play up since we had discussion earlier about the amount of contact we allow on dunk plays.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 01:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
This was from the Arizona vs. Duke game

Foul on the defender for his initial forward movement into the offensive player? Just a foul on the follow through? Or do you have no foul? Also brought this play up since we had discussion earlier about the amount of contact we allow on dunk plays.
I do not see how you call a foul on this play at all. It looked like he got the ball and almost all the contact was with the ball. Play on IMO.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see how you call a foul on this play at all. It looked like he got the ball and almost all the contact was with the ball. Play on IMO.

Peace
Some would argue that the foul is on the follow through when the offensive player was hit in the face (not necessarily making this argument).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Seemed in the arena that VCU benefited from a slow 5-second count in OT to score the winning basket against FSU. Opposite of TX/AZ game. Thoughts?