LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 05:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Good no call on 208.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Can't find this play anywhere on this thread. Remember when the Butler kid hurt his knee on a rebound in the 2nd half and fell to the ground in pain. It looked like to me he had the ball when he landed on the ground. Does anyone think that should have been called a travel. He didn't ask for a T.O. .........thoughts??????
The player hurt his ankle rather than his knee. Here is the play in question.

IMO he clearly did travel.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 07:58pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The player hurt his ankle rather than his knee. Here is the play in question.

IMO he clearly did travel.
I remember wondering about that too...Unless he yelled timeout and we didn't hear it, should have been a travel.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 08:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
From the UK/UNC game:

The late three point attempt and no call...agree/disagree?
I originally saw a foul. Neither player had principle of verticality. Had the UNC player gone straight up instead of leaning forward, then he may have gotten the call as the KY player clearly stepped toward him as he was going up. BUT, he did NOT initiate the contact IMO. "Make the shot, and play defense." He had an opening to go straight up and have a clear shot, but he did not take it. By going for 4, he got none. I'm good with the no call.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

204....no travel...but VERY close...it appeared that the ball was caught between strides as the right foot came down, step with the left, and the right foot was just about the touch again when the ball was released on the shot. Again, it was VERY close and looked funny at live speed but funny isn't a travel.

205...flop. No question.

207...good continuous motion call.

208....very close. I think Liggins may have been moving slightly forward at the time of contact. He remained on the floor (which technically doesn't matter but makes it a lot easier to not actually commit a foul) and had his arms sufficiently vertical. However the UNC player had a good look at a shot and gave it up to make contact. Not all officials will give a player that foul....particularly when the defender didn't bite on the pump fake.

212...Travel.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Mar 28, 2011 at 10:15pm.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 09:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You know what sucks the most about this tournament? I had Ohio State in the pool.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 10:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

212: No quesiton he traveled. Looks like the lead got straight lined, and by the time the C was going to go get it, he went with the injury instead. I'm ok with a no-call on an injury play like this.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2011, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
212: No quesiton he traveled. Looks like the lead got straight lined, and by the time the C was going to go get it, he went with the injury instead. I'm ok with a no-call on an injury play like this.
It didn't look like the lead was straight lined at all to me. Look like he had a pretty direct line of sight or a decent enough view. He just didn't call it for whatever reason.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Am I the only one who thinks that #212 was a foul on the defender for tripping.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 07:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that #212 was a foul on the defender for tripping.
He wasn't tripped. He turned his left ankle on the court when he landed. Taylor reached for the ball but he didn't trip him.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Jay R - No you are not the only one who thinks 212 was a foul.

Rebounder goes up straight for rebound. opponent comes underneath him and rebounder lands on opponents foot and falls down. foul on opponent - new defensive player.

Watch the video closely. The rebounder lands on the opponents foot, not the floor.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 08:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Jay R - No you are not the only one who thinks 212 was a foul.

Rebounder goes up straight for rebound. opponent comes underneath him and rebounder lands on opponents foot and falls down. foul on opponent - new defensive player.

Watch the video closely. The rebounder lands on the opponents foot, not the floor.
Watch a little more closely. Taylor's right foot was in the air when the rebounder initially landed and then Taylor himself actually trips over the rebounder when he does make contact.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
RE: Post 204
It's borderline, I think. He plays through and gets a good shot, but how difficult was the shot due to the contact? I probably pass on it, but I can see situations (game getting rough) where I'd need to get it.

On 205:
Sure looks like an Oscar to me, but the decision seems to have been made before he fell. Maybe he was anticipating something; guessing he'd like to have that back.
He whacks him pretty good in Post 204...don't penalize the offense for being strong.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I've looked at this many times. My first impession was a foul on White 11 for contacting the rebounder's leg and sending to the floor. I have no problem with a no call in NBA rules or FIBA rules where falling to the floor is not trvalling. But a travel here IMHO is not the right call. If White 11 doesn't come from behind and contact the rebounder's leg, I believe he is not going to fall.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
I've looked at this many times. My first impession was a foul on White 11 for contacting the rebounder's leg and sending to the floor. I have no problem with a no call in NBA rules or FIBA rules where falling to the floor is not trvalling. But a travel here IMHO is not the right call. If White 11 doesn't come from behind and contact the rebounder's leg, I believe he is not going to fall.

He fell because he damn near snapped his leg in half, not because of the contact with Taylor's leg. Taylor contacted the rebounder's leg because the rebounder's leg popped out towards Taylor

.........IMVHO