The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
He whacks him pretty good in Post 204...don't penalize the offense for being strong.
What penalty? Did the contact affect the shot? If not, what penalty? If so, how?
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:00am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm thinking about deleting one of my earlier posts just to throw off the message count of this thread so that everyone will be confused.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm thinking about deleting one of my earlier posts just to throw off the message count of this thread so that everyone will be confused.
Heh, I wondered about that when I started referencing them that way.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BadNewsRef Quote:
Watch a little more closely. Taylor's right foot was in the air when the rebounder initially landed and then Taylor himself actually trips over the rebounder when he does make contact.
Wrong--- white number 11 moves forward and his foot goes under the rebounder who lands on white 11's foot causing 11 to trip. If you have ever played basketball and while moving someone steps on your foot, it causes you to trip which is why 11 tripped. Why do you think the black rebounder turned his ankle? Do you think it is because he landed on the flat court or on 11s foot? Most ankle injuries in basketball happen while landing on a foot as in this case.

One point I would like to make. Considering the differences of opionions on what we believe actually happened and us seeing the play multiple times, the officials at the game made the best call. Give the ball to black and act like it was for the injury. I can see how it would be too tough to make the foul call in live action and yet you do not want to penalize the black team. Good call in my opionion.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
What penalty? Did the contact affect the shot? If not, what penalty? If so, how?
He got hammered...So if I shoot the ball and the ball is gone but I am still airborne and I get drilled to the floor a foul shouldn't be called because it really didn't affect the shot?
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Snags - I agree but.........

Quote:
212: No quesiton he traveled. Looks like the lead got straight lined, and by the time the C was going to go get it, he went with the injury instead. I'm ok with a no-call on an injury play like this.
Great feedback on this play, however a play was missed. Either a foul or a travel. Personally I believe it was a travel

Been in that situation before and felt like a deer in head lights.

If I am the coach of the other team I am freakin furious.

And BTW, I have been blasted for taking an NBA approach in the past and now there are some people that are ok with applying the NBA rule in this circumstance becuase an injury occured.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He got hammered...So if I shoot the ball and the ball is gone but I am still airborne and I get drilled to the floor a foul shouldn't be called because it really didn't affect the shot?
Nope, "drilled to the floor" is much different than a guy getting slapped on the arm with no effect. If you want to argue there was some effect on the shot, I can live with that. Otherwise, what basis do you use to differentiate between incidental contact and a foul?

Your play is different (although some would argue that if your shot was blocked, you're all but fair game) than the video. An airborne shooter knocked to the floor certainly involves the disadvantage of not being able to participate in normal offensive movements.

In the video, what normal offensive movements were prevented?

Last edited by Adam; Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 11:39am.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Great feedback on this play, however a play was missed. Either a foul or a travel. Personally I believe it was a travel

And BTW, I have been blasted for taking an NBA approach in the past and now there are some people that are ok with applying the NBA rule in this circumstance becuase an injury occured.
He was injured before he traveled, if the official had noticed more quickly, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. I'm perfectly fine with letting it go with a late whistle for the injury and ignoring the travel.

What NBA rule are you talking about?
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, "drilled to the floor" is much different than a guy getting slapped on the arm with no effect. If you want to argue there was some effect on the shot, I can live with that. Otherwise, what basis do you use to differentiate between incidental contact and a foul?

Your play is different (although some would argue that if your shot was blocked, you're all but fair game) than the video. An airborne shooter knocked to the floor certainly involves the disadvantage of not being able to participate in normal offensive movements.

In the video, what normal offensive movements were prevented?
In the play in question the contact is not incidental, it is illegal contact and 90% of the people here would have called that a foul.

Last edited by GoodwillRef; Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 11:46am.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

In the NBA that play is a no-call, the guy can fall to the ground and there is no penalty !!!!!!!!

Yes he may have been injured prior to the fall, butI still think (Per Rule)

a call needed to be made. Foul or travel....just my opinion
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In the play in question the contact is not incidental, it is illegal contact and 90% of the people here would have called that a foul.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but why isn't it incidental? It certainly fits the definition of incidental contact. "Contact which does not prevent the opponent from participating in normal ... offensive movements" (paraphrased from memory.)
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In the NBA that play is a no-call, the guy can fall to the ground and there is no penalty !!!!!!!!

Yes he may have been injured prior to the fall, butI still think (Per Rule)

a call needed to be made. Foul or travel....just my opinion
Yes, by rule, he traveled. By rule, a call should be made. I'm still not sure an assigner would want that call made due to the injury.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Warning Warning Warning !!!!!!!

Posting more than three times on the women's NCAA tourney thread and then attempting to come back here and post will have a stiff penalty.

It is possible that the stiff penalty will be enforced by Dee Kantner !!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was not suggesting taking the NBA approach for an NCAA game. I'm saying that if this happens in an NBA game, there is no onus on the officials to make a call.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2011, 01:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Wrong--- white number 11 moves forward and his foot goes under the rebounder who lands on white 11's foot causing 11 to trip. If you have ever played basketball and while moving someone steps on your foot, it causes you to trip which is why 11 tripped. Why do you think the black rebounder turned his ankle? Do you think it is because he landed on the flat court or on 11s foot? Most ankle injuries in basketball happen while landing on a foot as in this case.

One point I would like to make. Considering the differences of opionions on what we believe actually happened and us seeing the play multiple times, the officials at the game made the best call. Give the ball to black and act like it was for the injury. I can see how it would be too tough to make the foul call in live action and yet you do not want to penalize the black team. Good call in my opionion.

In 1990 I ripped every ligament and a good amount of the nerves in my left ankle without stepping on my opponents foot so I have a good idea of how you can turn an ankle without stepping on someone's foot.

Now back to the play, I suggest you go to the 33 second mark of the video and pause it every second and tell me where Taylor's right foot is when the rebounder lands. Sh!t, in fact Taylor's left foot is in the air also. It's frickin' obvious, I can't believe you are actually saying the rebounder landed on Taylor's foot.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 29, 2011 at 02:15pm.