The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:20am
Do not give a damn!!

T or not T, that is the question?

This was posted on the NF site and I felt it was interesting considering the previous conversations.

Quote:
Team A hits an apparent game winning shot with 3 seconds remaining and fans go crazy. Team B is bringing ball up court and shoots a desperation shot that falls short and buzzer sounds. Fans run on court, player A rips off shirt in excitement and it appears game is over. Apparently a timeout may have been called, before the shot, by coach B. Ref is at table discussing the situation. Ref decides to put 1.5 on clock and give ball to B at division line. The question is would YOU give team A technical for the shirt coming off?
What do we do here?

Peace
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Nope...no T from me.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:25am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This was posted on the NF site and I felt it was interesting considering the previous conversations.

What do we do here?

Peace
Based on others' previous opinions, nothing other than resume play with 1.5 seconds left, assuming that the official had definite knowledge.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

No technical foul here...this is an honest mistake by the player who thought the game was over...we get paid for our judgment of the rules...use good judgment here.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 05:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
No T from me.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 06:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

From the '05-'06 NFHS Interps:

Quote:
SITUATION 3: Team A is leading 62-60 when the horn sounds to end the game. A1 then removes his/her jersey near the team bench (a) before the officials leave the visual confines of the playing area; or (b) after the officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. RULING: In (a), A1 is assessed a technical foul. Team B is awarded two free throws; if both are successful, overtime will be played. In (b), since the officials' jurisdiction has ended, no penalty is assessed. (3-4-15; 2-2-4; 10-4-1h)
It doesn't matter if the kid thought the game was over. In the interp, the game horn actually had sounded, and it's still a technical foul. The uniform may not be used for demonstrative purposes.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 07:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

It doesn't matter if the kid thought the game was over. In the interp, the game horn actually had sounded, and it's still a technical foul. The uniform may not be used for demonstrative purposes.
I still wouldn't call a technical foul. May the lord of the NFHS have mercy on my soul.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Rich. No way.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
i still wouldn't call a technical foul. May the lord of the nfhs have mercy on my soul.
+1
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 07:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is interesting because it does bring up several questions that are related to the thread you're referring to.

By rule, this is a "T". Personally, I wouldn't call it though....and I'd also bet Lark's left nut that we end up with a consensus supporting that stance in this particular situation.

Sooooo....is the end result that we officials are determining whether something should be called no matter what direction the rulesmakers give us? As in the case of when a swung elbow that missed was an automatic "T" by rule, and that rule was almost universally ignored because we thought the punishment didn't fit the crime in all cases? This situation is something like that imo.

Maybe the bottom line is that we think too damn much sometimes and should just follow the rules. Maybe if we all did call 3-seconds strictly by the rule, the teams would adjust and we wouldn't have to talk players out of the paint.

And maybe that's why officiating is as much an art as it is a science.

And maybe I'm thinking too damn much for this early in the morning.

No matter what though, Jeff, I'm still calling a "T" if a player swears loud enough to be heard in the stands(unless he broke a leg or something, of course).
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This is where our judgment comes in.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So you are going to whack the kid...really?
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
It is interesting because it does bring up several questions that are related to the thread you're referring to.

By rule, this is a "T". Personally, I wouldn't call it though....and I'd also bet Lark's left nut that we end up with a consensus supporting that stance in this particular situation.

Sooooo....is the end result that we officials are determining whether something should be called no matter what direction the rulesmakers give us? As in the case of when a swung elbow that missed was an automatic "T" by rule, and that rule was almost universally ignored because we thought the punishment didn't fit the crime in all cases? This situation is something like that imo.

Maybe the bottom line is that we think too damn much sometimes and should just follow the rules. Maybe if we all did call 3-seconds strictly by the rule, the teams would adjust and we wouldn't have to talk players out of the paint.

And maybe that's why officiating is as much an art as it is a science.

And maybe I'm thinking too damn much for this early in the morning.

No matter what though, Jeff, I'm still calling a "T" if a player swears loud enough to be heard in the stands(unless he broke a leg or something, of course).
Agree with the above. But the same question exists - so if a majority of us disagrees with a direct rule and/or interp, should we just not call it?

Would this be the same with the dreaded backcourt interp - should we simply not call it the way the interp states, simply because we don't agree with it?

In either case above, how do we answer the person who asks us why we simply didn't follow the rule? JR, you have said consistenly over the years that "rules rulz", and that we cannot go wrong if we follow them, no matter what we feel or think about certain ones. What makes this one different?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:35am
Archaic Power Monger

I'm calling the T....

....if I want to make sure that I never advance to working varsity ball.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:50am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I'm sure it was out of my primary.