The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I find this really hard to believe. Any chance you've documentation of the bylaws?
Why is this hard to believe? You know the basketball rules don't allow the logos but lots of teams have them. Obviously there is some other reason that all these teams are wearing logos.

Wearing Apparel Items that Display Logos During Competition. A student-athlete representing
an institution in intercollegiate competition is limited to wearing apparel items that include only the
logo (not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches) of an apparel manufacturer or distributor. The studentathlete
may not wear any apparel (e.g., hat, visor, shirt, pennies) that identifies any entity other than
the student-athlete's institution and the apparel manufacturer or distributor.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...Nl&hl=en&pli=1
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1344/...25b04a50_o.png
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Why is this hard to believe? You know the basketball rules don't allow the logos but lots of teams have them. Obviously there is some other reason that all these teams are wearing logos.
It's hard to believe (for me) because I can't see the NCAA allowing one of its rule-making bodies to enact a rule that contradicts an NCAA by-law. Kind of like allowing a state to enact a law that contradicts the US Constitution.

Quote:
Wearing Apparel Items that Display Logos During Competition. A student-athlete representing
an institution in intercollegiate competition is limited to wearing apparel items that include only the
logo (not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches) of an apparel manufacturer or distributor. The studentathlete
may not wear any apparel (e.g., hat, visor, shirt, pennies) that identifies any entity other than
the student-athlete's institution and the apparel manufacturer or distributor.
Thanks for posting this, but it doesn't say that a player can wear a manufacturer's logo on his/her jersey. It only says that IF a player is legally wearing a logo, it must be the logo of the item's manufacturer or distributor. In other words, a golfer may wear a hat with the Nike swoosh on it, but may not wear a patch for Hooters, for example.

So I am still left wondering why no one has made a stink about the logos.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Tue Mar 08, 2011 at 06:15pm.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's hard to believe (for me) because I can't see the NCAA allowing one of its rule-making bodies to enact a rule that contradicts an NCAA by-law. Kind of like allowing a state to enact a law that contradicts the US Constitution.

So I am still left wondering why no one has made a stink about the logos.
Did you look at the links Cobra posted?

The NCAA cut a deal with manufacturers that allows this. The memo from the NCAA is clear: if the manufacturer gets the NCAA approval on their shirts, then they can put their logo on them.

This is the official word from the NCAA:
For the 2010-11 season, this program is voluntary. Participation in the program, however, allows the manufacturer to place its logo on the game jersey, which is not currently allowed by NCAA playing rules. The program becomes mandatory for Division I in the 2011-12 season and for Divisions II and III in the 2013-14 season.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:14am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Did you look at the links Cobra posted?
I did not. Thanks for posting it. I was going only by his comments in the post.

So I guess this means that when "participation" becomes mandatory, the rule regarding the logos on jerseys will simply be deleted?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I guess this means that when "participation" becomes mandatory, the rule regarding the logos on jerseys will simply be deleted?
The NCAA is surely getting a fee from manufacturers' for this approval process. It is all about the money. The "voluntary" nature simply allows the NCAA to get its money a year early -- as long as universities go with the new jerseys.

NCAA rules are updated every two years -- and this is the year for the update. I would expect the new rules book will show this change.