The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey NCAAM fashion police (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64269-hey-ncaam-fashion-police.html)

Mark Padgett Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:02pm

Hey NCAAM fashion police

Are shooting sleeves allowed in NCAAM? I'm guessing yes, because two USF players are wearing them in their game tonight against Gonzaga. The USF uniforms are yellow (or gold - hard to tell the difference) and green while the sleeves are black. Also - one of those players looks like he has a sleeve on one of his legs, too. Kind of weird.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 07, 2011 09:12am

They are allowed.

Scrapper1 Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:46pm

What is NOT allowed, however, and I am beginning to see all over the place is a manufacturer's logo on the game jersey. Lots of D1 schools doing it now. Not sure why it's been allowed.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 737405)
What is NOT allowed, however, and I am beginning to see all over the place is a manufacturer's logo on the game jersey. Lots of D1 schools doing it now. Not sure why it's been allowed.

I don't have my books with me, but I thought it was allowed on the jersey in NCAA (not in FED)

Scrapper1 Mon Mar 07, 2011 03:49pm

Well, Bob, you planted a whole lotta doubt in my mind, so I had to dig out the rulebook and look it up. After reading your post, I thought maybe the restriction only applied to the new "neutral zone" (which includes the team name and player's number). But here is the relevant citation:

NCAA 3-8-1: "A visible manufacturer's or distributor's label or trademark is not permitted on the game jersey or undershirt".

bob jenkins Mon Mar 07, 2011 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 737487)
Well, Bob, you planted a whole lotta doubt in my mind, so I had to dig out the rulebook and look it up. After reading your post, I thought maybe the restriction only applied to the new "neutral zone" (which includes the team name and player's number). But here is the relevant citation:

NCAA 3-8-1: "A visible manufacturer's or distributor's label or trademark is not permitted on the game jersey or undershirt".

Well eff me.

Like you, then, I don't know why it's being allowed.

I apologize for any confusion.

Scrapper1 Mon Mar 07, 2011 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 737493)

1) My post was not intended as an "Eff you". I apologize if it came across as snide or condescending.
2) In this case, any confusion was actually good, because it made me dig it out of the rulebook.

Jfpdi Mon Mar 07, 2011 06:07pm

What is the penalty for violating 3-8-1? I looked under rule 10 and it only refers to an illegal jersey as defined in 3-5. (10-2-3c)

Raymond Mon Mar 07, 2011 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 737528)
1) My post was not intended as an "Eff you". I apologize if it came across as snide or condescending.
2) In this case, any confusion was actually good, because it made me dig it out of the rulebook.

What's up with all this nicety?

What happened to the goold ole days of "Shut Up!!!"?

Jurassic Referee Mon Mar 07, 2011 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 737545)
What's up with all this nicety?

What happened to the goold ole days of "Shut Up!!!"?

Scwappy was never a shut up-er. He was always a shut up-ee.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 07, 2011 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 737528)

No, it didn't. My remark was directed at me. I was "sure" that it was allowed.

Quote:

Ditto

Cobra Tue Mar 08, 2011 01:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 737493)
Well eff me.

Like you, then, I don't know why it's being allowed.

NCAA bylaws allow the logo while the basketball rules do not. The bylaws take precedence over the playing rules of individual sports.

Scrapper1 Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 737611)
NCAA bylaws allow the logo while the basketball rules do not. The bylaws take precedence over the playing rules of individual sports.

I find this really hard to believe. Any chance you've documentation of the bylaws?

Adam Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 737674)
I find this really hard to believe. Any chance you've documentation of the bylaws?

Along with documentation that they take precedence.

26 Year Gap Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 737681)
Along with documentation that they take precedence.

Along with any evidence you are not related to Old School?