The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Fashion Police -- Only watch above the Socks

I have never been a real fan of being the fashion police, but there are several things in this area that make no sense. The NFHS was concerned about players drawing attention to themselves, therefore they put a number of rules in place.

1. They attempted to eliminate the Shooting Sleeve -- Unless it is for medical purposes, which basically has permitted the shooting sleeve if a player really wants one.
2. They determined that "anything that goes completely around the head is a head band and, therefore, must be the same color as all teammates AND must be one of the four permitted colors of headbands: white, primary uniform color, black or beige (so that the "typical" pre-wrap color could be used).
3. Undershirts, if worn, must be similar in color to the jersey and the sleeves are to be the same length.
4. Memorial patches must be be no more than 4 square inches and CANNOT be a number.
etc., etc., etc.

Apparently, the NFHS Fashion Police Committee must all have stiff necks as they apparently cannot see below the bottom of the shorts. While I will be the first to admit, I dislike a number of these items -- ESPECIALLY item #2 when doing a girls varsity game (or any girls game for that matter) -- I can't help but wonder what they are really thinking.

Exhibit A: Varsity Girls game on Saturday night. One team had 12 players. Four players had one black shoe and one white shoe (three black right shoes and one black left shoe). Most other players wore black shoes, while one wore white shoes. A couple wore one black sock and one white sock pulled up high. One wore a pair of black socks with three wide white stripes. A couple others wore plain high black socks. A few others did not wear visible socks at all.

If the NFHS is going to require me to tell a player who has black hair and has a black rubberband to hold her hair in place that she has to remove it because her teammates are all wearing that ugly beige pre-wrap in their hair; or require me to tell a team that their uniforms are illegal because they have a 1.5" high #12 in the inset of their jerseys to honor a teammate who has lost a battle with cancer; or require me to tell a player that they have to take a black underarmour shirt off because their uniform is blue, WHY does it allow the area below the knee to look anything BUT uniform?

I understand shoes not matching. But, if they are going to make us go to the nth degree to observe all of these other aspects of the uniform, why not at least the color of the socks -- if they are visible?

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Mon Jan 19, 2009 at 09:43am.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

First, the NFHS takes seriously the meaning of the word 'uniform'.

Second, if you're complaining about inconsistency concerning socks, wait for it...
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
JV game the other night, I had a reserve player come out with "the sleeve" on. I asked him if it was for medical reasons and when he looked at me with the "dear in the headlights" look, I made him take it off. His coaches reply, "Thanks Ref."

My partner had an issue with one boys socks that game - bright orange with a gold uniform? Yuk! I told him he has no right to mess with socks.

I agree though.....wait for it.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have had a few players wear socks that are above the knee. I just confirm that they are not under garments that extend below the knee.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Boys Varsity the other night...

Had a home player with white tights (coach actually had medical slip) and this player was wearing two white sweatbands, with nike logo, on each ankle...I guess so it would look like the tops of socks.

Looked kinda funky...but, we let it go.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Had a home player with white tights
This is that one that I'd get rid of immediately. Why are tights illegal? Especially since long pants are perfectly legal. What's the difference between pants (which don't even have to match the jersey!) and tights worn under the shorts?

I'm not ranting, I just truly don't understand. Make them legal, and subject to the same logo and color restrictions as handbands/sweatbands.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Don't Want To Know How Far They Go Up ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I have had a few players wear socks that are above the knee. I just confirm that they are not under garments that extend below the knee.
I don't even ask.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Somewhere Over The Rainbow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
If the NFHS is going to require me to tell a player who has black hair and has a black rubberband to hold her hair in place that she has to remove it because her teammates are all wearing that ugly beige pre-wrap in their hair?
The NFHS is not telling you that she has to remove it. The NFHS differentiated hair control devices from headbands this year, and hair control devices, like the black rubberband holding a player's hair in place can be any color of the rainbow.

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Changes
3-5-3 Any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity. Black and beige have also been added. Rationale: This change makes the rule more consistent in application and enforcement. The additional colors will provide student-athletes with the same low-cost options, while maintaining team uniformity.

COMMENTS ON THE 2008-09 RULES REVISIONS
HEADBANDS DEFINED AND COLORS ADDED (3-5-3): Any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity. The colors of black and beige were also added to the list of permissible colors a team may wear. This change makes the rule more consistent in application and enforcement. The additional colors will provide student-athletes with the same low-cost options previously available, while maintaining team uniformity.

SITUATION 5: A1 is wearing a red headband and one red wristband on each wrist below the elbow. Red is the torso color of the team jersey. A1 is also wearing a multicolored "scrunchie" to secure the hair in a ponytail. RULING: Legal; devices used to control the hair and that do not go around the entire head, are not considered headbands and, therefore, are not required to meet the same restrictions. (3-5-3d)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:28pm
In Time Out

I let some minor things go but sometimes I tell the players hey that may be illegal and another ref might ask you to remove it. Don't think I've seen a player wear a wristband this year or I haven't really been watching. A few headbands but on the girls side not the boys.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Had a home player with white tights (coach actually had medical slip)

A doctor's note does not legalize tights.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Had a home player with white tights (coach actually had medical slip) and this player was wearing two white sweatbands, with nike logo, on each ankle...I guess so it would look like the tops of socks.

Looked kinda funky...but, we let it go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yep, you may not care, but you failed to properly enforce the rule on that one.

3.5.6 SITUATION B: A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts.
Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warmups
or a skirt instead of shorts? RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not
require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may
not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights “below the
uniform shorts” would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as
the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (3-4)
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
No, but he could take his uniform shorts off and wear the tights as his uniform pants. Unless they had more than one visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference. Or the logo/t/r exceeded size requirements.

Last edited by Scratch85; Mon Jan 19, 2009 at 09:44pm.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NFHS is not telling you that she has to remove it. The NFHS differentiated hair control devices from headbands this year, and hair control devices, like the black rubberband holding a player's hair in place can be any color of the rainbow.

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Changes
3-5-3 Any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity. Black and beige have also been added. Rationale: This change makes the rule more consistent in application and enforcement. The additional colors will provide student-athletes with the same low-cost options, while maintaining team uniformity.
Girls wear an elastic band that goes around the entire head. Therefore, the NFHS is indeed telling me that they must meet the color requirements.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
No, but he could take his uniform shorts off and wear the tights as his uniform pants. Unless they had more than one visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference. Or the logo/t/r exceeded size requirements.
Sorry, tights are not pants.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sorry, tights are not pants.
The material and fit of "pants" is defined? I don't think so.

If a girls team played in volleyball style shorts, that would be legal. Why wouldn't the same thing full-length be legal?