The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Last Second Shot Situation Today

66-64 with Red losing. Red comes down and fires up a last second shot in the lane. The official opposite table (Trail I believe, could have been C) has the call, and waves the shot off which ends up going in.

The school in question had dated replay equipment which would only show 1 second at a time and not tenths of a second. When they reviewed the play with 1 second left on the clock, the ball was in the players hand and she was starting her motion to throw up the wild shot (wasn't a regular jumper at all). So needless to say the officials could not tell from the monitor indefinitely if it was off in time but could put the pieces together that it probably was. So they count it and the game is sent to overtime.

Now could they have gone to the original call to wave off the shot as initially indicated by the official opposite table, instead of putting a puzzle together at the monitor???

Thanks

Last edited by CDurham; Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 12:25pm.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

They probably went frame by frame on the video to see when the clock changed from 1 to 0 and at take note of where the ball was in that frame.
That would give a definitive answer.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Tied ball game and Red comes down and fires up a last second shot in the lane. The official opposite table (Trail) has the call, and waves the shot off which ends up going in.

The school in question had dated replay equipment which would only show 1 second at a time and not tenths of a second. When they reviewed the play with 1 second left on the clock, the ball was in the players hand and she was starting her motion to throw up the wild shot (wasn't a regular jumper at all). So needless to say the officials could not tell from the monitor indefinitely if it was off in time but could put the pieces together that it probably was. So they count it and the game is sent to overtime.

Now could they have gone to the original call to wave off the shot as initially indicated by the official opposite table, instead of putting a puzzle together at the monitor???

Thanks
What was the signal from the "C"? This sounds like you are talking about an NCAA-W game. If that is the case, it is SOP that the "C" has the clock and the rest of the crew have an opinion.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tied ball game and Red comes down and fires up a last second shot in the lane.

(snip)

So they count it and the game is sent to overtime.
I'm confused. Was it tied before the shot, or after tehy counted the basket?

In any event, they would use the clock on the monitor if it was synced with the game clock. Otherwise, they'd use the lights, then the horn.

And, if they couldn't tell definitely, they'd go with the call on the floor ("no basket" according to the OP, I think).
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm confused. Was it tied before the shot, or after tehy counted the basket?

In any event, they would use the clock on the monitor if it was synced with the game clock. Otherwise, they'd use the lights, then the horn.

And, if they couldn't tell definitely, they'd go with the call on the floor ("no basket" according to the OP, I think).
I'm sorry. The game was not tied. Red was down by 2 and the shot ended up sending the game into overtime once the officials counted it.

The game was a D-I Womens game. The Trail (I'm pretty sure), but could have been the C, opposite table immediately waved off the shot as in his judgement it was in the players hand once time expired. But they went to the monitor to make sure

The monitor was old technology and I could hear the officials saying that they had to piece it together and in their judgement she got the shot off in time. As with 1 second left she was starting her motion to throw the ball up. It just seemed weird to go with defunct technology over an official who was all over the play. I would like to see the play under tenths of a second just to see.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sorry. The game was not tied. Red was down by 2 and the shot ended up sending the game into overtime once the officials counted it.

The game was a D-I Womens game. The Trail (I'm pretty sure), but could have been the C, opposite table immediately waved off the shot as in his judgement it was in the players hand once time expired. But they went to the monitor to make sure

The monitor was old technology and I could hear the officials saying that they had to piece it together and in their judgement she got the shot off in time. As with 1 second left she was starting her motion to throw the ball up. It just seemed weird to go with defunct technology over an official who was all over the play. I would like to see the play under tenths of a second just to see.
If the monitor is there, they are required to use it, no matter how "old" it is.

And, the C has the last-second shot in NCAAW -- extremely unlikley that they got this part wrong.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the monitor is there, they are required to use it, no matter how "old" it is.

And, the C has the last-second shot in NCAAW -- extremely unlikley that they got this part wrong.
I understand that. But is there any interpretation on how to use one that cannot give you any clear evidence? Would you revert to the official who waved it off?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand that. But is there any interpretation on how to use one that cannot give you any clear evidence? Would you revert to the official who waved it off?
From post 4: And, if they couldn't tell definitely, they'd go with the call on the floor ("no basket" according to the OP, I think).
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

What game was this? Any reason it's being kept a secret?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What game was this? Any reason it's being kept a secret?
Haha. It was a Big South womens game, nothing too spectacular. Did that narrow it down??
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 04:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Haha. It was a Big South womens game, nothing too spectacular. Did that narrow it down??
Was curious as to what D1 school would have "old" technology. Interesting considering who the Men's supervisor is for that conference.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Was curious as to what D1 school would have "old" technology. Interesting considering who the Men's supervisor is for that conference.
That is what I thought also. The coach did say he was donating $200 out of his own pocket to update the equipment. I assumed it was necessary to have the replay equipment show tenths of a second since the game clock does also. But obviously not after yesterday
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At one of those schools they could have just gone to one of the four "JumboTrons" in the corners of the arena!