The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

weird situation involving last-second shot

I had a weird situation that could have been easily avoided.

Did a JV game Saturday night. About 10 seconds left to go in the first half, A is bringing the ball up after B shot and made a basket. I am now the L while my partner is the T. I'm at the baseline of A's basket when A1 managed to lose the ball somehow (whether it was a pass-gone-bad, fumble, etc.) and B1 grabs the ball. With 5 seconds left, he runs towards the other basket to go for a right-handed layup. At this point, he is by himself. My partner (now the L) is on the left side from the basket, along the side-line at the foul-line extended. I (now the T) am running hard to get closer to see if the ball is released or not before buzzer goes of. I'm about a few feet from the half-line opposite from the basket in question, while on the right-side from the basket. The hand and ball is in clear view to me, while my partner wouldn't have been able to tell if the ball is out of the hand or not yet. At the buzzer, I saw there were a few inches between the hand and ball, so I'm getting ready to call the basket good if it goes in. The ball does go through the rim and just as I'm about to throw my hand down to say "good basket", here's my partner, who would not have had a clear view of the layup, running towards the table, hands waving off the basket, yelling "no basket! no basket!". Now, this was MY call to make, he was not in the position to make the call. We didn't have a pregame because my partner decided to show up a little late, then talk with everyone he knows on his way from the gym entrance to the official's room. So we couldn't discuss last-second shots like you would in a pre-game conference.

What do you do if you were in my situation? I was always told that in close cases like this, if one referee makes a call, whether right or wrong, without talking with the other official(s), you should not overturn that ruling, regardless of what you know is right and wrong. Following that "word of advice", I let him on his own to defend his ruling against the coach of the team he just took away two points.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Technically you can overrule him on this if you are the R. But, unless you're talking about a game winning/losing basket...I'd say let it stand and discuss it at half time. If that doesn't go well, then GiGdGo.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Technically you can overrule him on this if you are the R. But, unless you're talking about a game winning/losing basket...I'd say let it stand and discuss it at half time. If that doesn't go well, then GiGdGo.
GiGdGo? What?

I'm new to this forum, don't know what that means.

Yes, I was actually the R for that game, but this guy I ref'ed with was a hard-*** and would've given me hell if I overturned him. We actually had a heated argument that almost heated up to a fight about something totally different. The rest of that game was pretty ugly between the two of us.

Last edited by representing; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 03:20am.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
GiGdGo? What?

I'm new to this forum, don't know what that means.

Yes, I was actually the R for that game, but this guy I ref'ed with was a hard-*** and would've given me hell if I overturned him. We actually had a heated argument that almost heated up to a fight about something totally different. The rest of that game was pretty ugly between the two of us.
Get in, get done, get out

Best thing you can do in situations when things get testy between partners.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Get in, get done, get out

Best thing you can do in situations when things get testy between partners.
haha that's how I was in the locker room at half-time and after the game. At half-time when he started yelling at me about some stupid ****, I left the locker room. I was out on the court with 7:31 left on the clock and he was still in the locker room. I didn't care.

Then after the game, while the Varsity officials were in there, I went in, walked passed everyone, took my shirt off and changed my shoes, and got the heck out of there.

So yes, GiGdGo did apply here very well
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
going back to this post, the game was pretty close (3 or 4 points difference at Half-time). However, the visiting team only had 7 players when the home team had 11 or 12, so the visiting team got tired by the end of the game and home team ended up winning by like 15 or 20, at least.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a weird situation that could have been easily avoided.

Did a JV game Saturday night. About 10 seconds left to go in the first half, A is bringing the ball up after B shot and made a basket. I am now the L while my partner is the T. I'm at the baseline of A's basket when A1 managed to lose the ball somehow (whether it was a pass-gone-bad, fumble, etc.) and B1 grabs the ball. With 5 seconds left, he runs towards the other basket to go for a right-handed layup. At this point, he is by himself. My partner (now the L) is on the left side from the basket, along the side-line at the foul-line extended. I (now the T) am running hard to get closer to see if the ball is released or not before buzzer goes of. I'm about a few feet from the half-line opposite from the basket in question, while on the right-side from the basket. The hand and ball is in clear view to me, while my partner wouldn't have been able to tell if the ball is out of the hand or not yet. At the buzzer, I saw there were a few inches between the hand and ball, so I'm getting ready to call the basket good if it goes in. The ball does go through the rim and just as I'm about to throw my hand down to say "good basket", here's my partner, who would not have had a clear view of the layup, running towards the table, hands waving off the basket, yelling "no basket! no basket!". Now, this was MY call to make, he was not in the position to make the call. We didn't have a pregame because my partner decided to show up a little late, then talk with everyone he knows on his way from the gym entrance to the official's room. So we couldn't discuss last-second shots like you would in a pre-game conference.

What do you do if you were in my situation? I was always told that in close cases like this, if one referee makes a call, whether right or wrong, without talking with the other official(s), you should not overturn that ruling, regardless of what you know is right and wrong. Following that "word of advice", I let him on his own to defend his ruling against the coach of the team he just took away two points.
So let me get the facts straight.
1. This is an uncontested try for goal by a player who is out in front of everyone else.
2. Your partner is at the FT line extended on that end of the court.
3. You have to run hard from the end line at the far side of the court to reach the division line before the horn sounds.
4. You believe that this was your call to make, not your partner's.
5. You believe that your partner was out of position.

Want to know my opinion of this situation?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So let me get the facts straight.
1. This is an uncontested try for goal by a player who is out in front of everyone else.
2. Your partner is at the FT line extended on that end of the court.
3. You have to run hard from the end line at the far side of the court to reach the division line before the horn sounds.
4. You believe that this was your call to make, not your partner's.
5. You believe that your partner was out of position.

Want to know my opinion of this situation?
If it's in a constructive criticism manner, and not in an arrogance manner. Yes.

And I want to say, for the record before you go on to say anything, that my partner would have had no way to tell whether that ball left his hand or not. I was at a better angle to see, and I was close enough to see the ball leave the hand before the buzzer went off. From my partner's angle, he probably saw the ball not completely past the finger tips and thought his fingers were still touch the ball.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

One other thing, he was not behind the player at the FT line extended, but on the opposite side-line at the FT line extended. Not a good angle to see this shot at the last second.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One other thing, he was not behind the player at the FT line extended, but on the opposite side-line at the FT line extended. Not a good angle to see this shot at the last second.
So let's skip my earlier list for now and allow me to ask you why you feel that an official standing at the FT line extended on one side of the court would not have a good view of an unguarded player releasing a right-handed lay-up from the other side of the basket. What is obstructing his view? Why do you think that his angle is poor? Where is the C normally positioned in a 3-man game when he has the last shot? How about the T during a half court offensive set?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So let's skip my earlier list for now and allow me to ask you why you feel that an official standing at the FT line extended on one side of the court would not have a good view of an unguarded player releasing a right-handed lay-up from the other side of the basket. What is obstructing his view? Why do you think that his angle is poor? Where is the C normally positioned in a 3-man game when he has the last shot? How about the T during a half court offensive set?
Why don't you do this... ask someone to take a basketball and put it in his/her left hand, and then place the right hand on the right side of the ball, whether touching the ball or not. Then you stand about 20 feet away at about a 10-15 degree angle. You couldn't possibly tell whether that hand is touching the ball or not. Then you got the net and the rim obstructing your view as well during this layup. Me, I had the best and clearest view of the ball and the hand as I was pretty much in line with the player at the taken of the shot, to the right of the net and rim so I had no obstruction. I was able to see the hand clearly, and the ball was released from the hand just before the buzzer. He had a bad angle to see where the ball was in relation to the hand.

End of discussion, I'm going to bed. Feel free to say more but I won't be replying until tomorrow.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

So you are saying that you believe that your partner's view of the shooter's hand was blocked by the ball? The ball was between the shooter's hand and his eyes on this play?

I need to get my rest as well, but I believe that I have made it clear that my opinion is that you don't have a clear grasp for handling the mechanics of this last-second try for goal in transition. You are convinced that this call was your decision to make and not your partners as well as that he got it wrong. I believe that you are mistaken about the former and I can't pass judgment upon the latter because I didn't see the action. If you would like to learn something from this situation, you will need to cease being so rigid in your view and open your mind to other possibilities. I'll be back posting tomorrow, if you desire to hear some of the finer points of dealing with such a play.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

"and B1 grabs the ball. With 5 seconds left, he runs towards the other basket to go for a right-handed layup. At this point, he is by himself"

Simple. Travel.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:49am
#thereferee99

The timing didn't help.

If your partner had the horn before the try was released and felt it was his call, an early "No Shot!" would have been more appropriate than a late "No Basket!"
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:41pm
In Time Out

learn from it and then you'll be prepared for these tough situations. and be glad it was only halftime