The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Using the monitor on shot clock violation

NCAA Men's question:

May the crew go the monitor to rule on a called shot clock violation to see if the ball hit the rim? If so, what are the factors that the crew considers when deciding whether or not to use the monitor?

I ask after watching a close play near the end of the first half of the Purdue-Iowa game. Shot clock at 2, A1 shoots a 3 from the top of the key. Shot comes up short but obviously (or not so obviously I guess) hits the front of the rim and falls straight down. Shot clock horn expires. Ed Hightower is Lead, blows whistle and signals shot clock violation. C comes in to offer info to Mr. Hightower. After 2 second conference, Mr. Hightower again signals shot clock violation and we go the other way. ESPN shows A coach yelling and pointing at monitor.

Is the a situation in which the monitor can be used? Is it the officials' discrection on when to use the monitor?
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I just went and reread the rule about the use of monitors (2-13). I do not believe that the officials can use the monitor in this situation.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you

Lotto, thank you for pointing me to 2-13. Does 2-13.2.c.4 not allow a review in this situation? Or does that only apply to a clock malfunction or mistake of the shot clock operator and not to overrule the judgment of the on-floor officials?
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 07:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
NCAA Men's question:

May the crew go the monitor to rule on a called shot clock violation to see if the ball hit the rim? If so, what are the factors that the crew considers when deciding whether or not to use the monitor?

I ask after watching a close play near the end of the first half of the Purdue-Iowa game. Shot clock at 2, A1 shoots a 3 from the top of the key. Shot comes up short but obviously (or not so obviously I guess) hits the front of the rim and falls straight down. Shot clock horn expires. Ed Hightower is Lead, blows whistle and signals shot clock violation. C comes in to offer info to Mr. Hightower. After 2 second conference, Mr. Hightower again signals shot clock violation and we go the other way. ESPN shows A coach yelling and pointing at monitor.

Is the a situation in which the monitor can be used? Is it the officials' discretion on when to use the monitor?
Aren't the C and T responsible for knowing if the ball hit the rim? I would think that C or T would come in only if they knew for sure that the ball did hit the rim (and not that they think it hit the rim).

Even if Hightower didn't know it at the time, the perceived SCV is an IW.

If so, then sticking with the SCV is an error. Either give the ball to the same team if there was team possession, or use the arrow for the IW.

Or am I missing something?
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Aren't the C and T responsible for knowing if the ball hit the rim? I would think that C or T would come in only if they knew for sure that the ball did hit the rim (and not that they think it hit the rim).
The only thing that I can think of is perhaps Hightower asked the C for help, but for whatever reason the C didn't have any help to give.

Quote:
I don't think you are missing something. I think they just kicked it. Which brought about my original question of can the crew get help from the monitor to fix it. Lotto says no. What say you?
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 10:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Even if Hightower didn't know it at the time, the perceived SCV is an IW.

If so, then sticking with the SCV is an error. Either give the ball to the same team if there was team possession, or use the arrow for the IW.

No, all officials are can call a shot clock violation if it is seen.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I've seen them review shot clock situations at least twice in the MVC tournament this weekend. Granted, they were checking to see if the ball hit the rim so they could reset or not. In the one last night, the clock didn't reset and they stopped play to review it, but saw that it did hit the rim, so they reset it. Today, the operator reset it after a shot but the shot didn't hit the rim, so after review they left it at 18 which is where it was when the offensive player caught the ball on the rebound.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I've seen them review shot clock situations at least twice in the MVC tournament this weekend. Granted, they were checking to see if the ball hit the rim so they could reset or not. In the one last night, the clock didn't reset and they stopped play to review it, but saw that it did hit the rim, so they reset it. Today, the operator reset it after a shot but the shot didn't hit the rim, so after review they left it at 18 which is where it was when the offensive player caught the ball on the rebound.
I believe that those two are cases of timing errors by the shot clock operator and the monitor can be used to fix that. The officials make the decision on the court that the ball did or did not contact the ring and then go to the monitor to see what the proper setting should be for the clock. They are not looking at the monitor to see if the ball contacted the ring.

My understanding of the NCAA rule is that shot clock violations are NOT reviewable except very near the end of a half or overtime period.