View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 07:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
NCAA Men's question:

May the crew go the monitor to rule on a called shot clock violation to see if the ball hit the rim? If so, what are the factors that the crew considers when deciding whether or not to use the monitor?

I ask after watching a close play near the end of the first half of the Purdue-Iowa game. Shot clock at 2, A1 shoots a 3 from the top of the key. Shot comes up short but obviously (or not so obviously I guess) hits the front of the rim and falls straight down. Shot clock horn expires. Ed Hightower is Lead, blows whistle and signals shot clock violation. C comes in to offer info to Mr. Hightower. After 2 second conference, Mr. Hightower again signals shot clock violation and we go the other way. ESPN shows A coach yelling and pointing at monitor.

Is the a situation in which the monitor can be used? Is it the officials' discretion on when to use the monitor?
Aren't the C and T responsible for knowing if the ball hit the rim? I would think that C or T would come in only if they knew for sure that the ball did hit the rim (and not that they think it hit the rim).

Even if Hightower didn't know it at the time, the perceived SCV is an IW.

If so, then sticking with the SCV is an error. Either give the ball to the same team if there was team possession, or use the arrow for the IW.

Or am I missing something?