Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Sad story about HS player dying after winning a game

Updated: March 4, 2011, 3:20 AM ET
Player collapsed on court after layup

Associated Press

FENNVILLE, Mich. -- A western Michigan high school basketball player collapsed on the court and later died after making the game-winning shot to cap his team's perfect season.
Holland Hospital spokeswoman Deb Patterson says 16-year-old Fennville High School basketball player Wes Leonard died Thursday night. A cause of death has not yet been determined.
Patterson says paramedics performed CPR on Leonard before he was pronounced dead at the hospital.
The Holland Sentinel reported that Leonard had scored the game-winning layup in a 57-55 win over Bridgman in overtime to cap Fennville's 20-0 season. Leonard fell to the ground after teammates and fans rushed the court.
The newspaper says Leonard was also a quarterback on the high school football team.
Fennville is about 200 miles west of Detroit.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 06:05am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Dear Lord, please have mercy on Wes Leonard.

Life is short, eat it up.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 07:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Saw it on the news this morning. Really a sad story.

God be with his family and loved ones.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 12:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Whoa - what a tragic story. My prayers to him and his family.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is a very sad story, and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

But couldn't the sadness be tempered slightly by the fact he died while doing something he loved, and even right after being the hero and hitting the winning shot no less? C'mon, how many of us would give anything to know that when we move on to the next life, we are in the middle of doing something we enjoy?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 12:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

M&M, while I understand what you're saying, 16 is too young for anyone to go - especially an athlete.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
M&M, while I understand what you're saying, 16 is too young for anyone to go - especially an athlete.
I heartily agree, it is way too young, no matter what the circumstance.

I guess I'm trying to look at it from the same perspective of the "funeral" vs. "celebration of life" ceremonies. Yes, it's a tragedy and a sad event, but let's try and insert a little positive perspective.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

tragic story...and my heart goes out to his parents, team-mates, everyone who knew him...

that said, i love sports because of the perspective it keeps me in. i never, ever take it for granted. i ref each game like it could be my last...i never turn down an assignment, no matter the level. today i'm leaving work early to go do four junior high games at a small out-lying community.

i have played, coached or ref'd football and basketball for over 40 years. i got into ref'ing late, and this is the end of my 3rd year. everytime i go onto the court i glance upward and say,"Lord, i don't know what i did to be so fortunate, but, whatever it was, thank You."

and i mean it. sometimes i get so excited that i literally am bouncing off the walls. i love the kids, coaches, and yes, even the fans.

i bet that kid felt the same way. though 16 is far, far too young, in cases like this is can only be that God needed another angel.

i thank everyone on this board for helping a newer ref- and i thank the world of sports for giving me all the opportunities that i have been truly, truly blessed with.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

In a perfect world, 16 would be close the end of the first quarter of life. That being said, lets hope all of us, officials, athletes, moms and dads... hug someone and appreciate what we have. I wish he could have missed that shot, lived and hit a winning shot against his high school aged grandson. God Bless Us All and especially his family.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2011, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I too echo the earlier sentiments of all on this board-
Lord be with this family and community as they deal with this tragic loss.We are praying for you out here in SoCal.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 09:32am
This IS My Social Life

Key Role Model Player

Had this team in district playoffs last year on 3/10. This was a bigger player who had a nice set of hands, who could easily knife through a zone on a drive and go up strong to the hoop. But most noteworthy was that, even as a sophomore then, he was the one I went to a couple of times when a player from his team was getting a little out of control. He'd go over and discreetly settle his teammate down and calm the situation.
The medical officials determined that the cause was an enlarged heart. I'd say this kid was all heart. The kind of player any of you would enjoy officiating.
This particular coach is the kind of guy you'd want a team to have in this sort of discomforting situation. A care filled young man who is now saying and doing what needs to be said and done.
Our hope here is that the team can play to the best of their efforts in his memory as they proceed to districts this coming week, if they choose to continue today.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 09:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Well said Freddy. Thanks for the insight.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

His first cousin, Adam Leonard, plays for Missouri State. He scored 20 yesterday against Southern Illinois in the MVC tournament in St. Louis. He said something to the effect of his cousin helping him during the game.

Pretty sad story.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 10:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Had this team in district playoffs last year on 3/10. This was a bigger player who had a nice set of hands, who could easily knife through a zone on a drive and go up strong to the hoop. But most noteworthy was that, even as a sophomore then, he was the one I went to a couple of times when a player from his team was getting a little out of control. He'd go over and discreetly settle his teammate down and calm the situation.
The medical officials determined that the cause was an enlarged heart. I'd say this kid was all heart. The kind of player any of you would enjoy officiating.
This particular coach is the kind of guy you'd want a team to have in this sort of discomforting situation. A care filled young man who is now saying and doing what needs to be said and done.
Our hope here is that the team can play to the best of their efforts in his memory as they proceed to districts this coming week, if they choose to continue today.
This could very well be the best quote in the 12-year history of this forum.

Kudos for noticing this young man, Freddy.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

May none of us have to experience this on the court, a player passing away.

Injuries are bad enough.

The family is in our prayers.