The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Questions to those guys who work in East Coast cities with Jewish schools: do these schools belong to the state associations and follow NFHS rules on head coverings? Do they have some sort of blanket permission for wearing yarmulkes and how they must be attached? I'm curious because a local Jewish high school just joined our state association and will be competing this season.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
So all of you "game managment" experts better do some serious convincing when you accept some and deny others.

The example is ridiculous but so is this discussion.

Amen.

The rule is straightforward, don't know why everyone is trying to put a spin on it. In the state of Washington, you need to have a letter. No letter, no play with the "illegal" items. Coach doesn't have to like it, but any respectable coach would understand.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
Questions to those guys who work in East Coast cities with Jewish schools: do these schools belong to the state associations and follow NFHS rules on head coverings? Do they have some sort of blanket permission for wearing yarmulkes and how they must be attached? I'm curious because a local Jewish high school just joined our state association and will be competing this season.
Curious about what? According to your way of thinking these
kids need a letter from the state approving their way of
dressing on the court. What difference does it make to
you how we do things on "the East coast"?
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I do some games at the local Jewish Center. the kids where their elligious head gear with which I have no problem. thies ae kid games and not high school games. But I do worry about the metal clips they use to hold the headwear on. If girls used these metal clips in their hair I would have them removed. evfen with thes clips the hats come off during the games. so far no injuries but the clips do worry me. At this level I am letting it pass but, What would I and you do if someone wore thes clips in a regualation High school game.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Err Dan,

I'd swear you're pouting.

I thought his question was respectful enough that it could be answered.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm with BJ here, the rule is...

these kids can play, with a letter. There's no discrimination here, except that the Fed has "discriminately" allowed some players to have an exception to a rule under certain circumstances.

If this was the first game where the kids were new under Fed rules, I might consider letting them play, and then following up the next day with the state ... they'd better have a letter by the next game. But I would definitely call my commissioner before that first game, to be sure I was covered.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Curious about what? According to your way of thinking these
kids need a letter from the state approving their way of
dressing on the court. What difference does it make to
you how we do things on "the East coast"?

I'd like to know what your state associations allow and don't allow.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Is a Viking war axe illegal... it's been blessed?

You guys are having so much fun.... thought I might join in.

Safety???

What kind of head gear is unsafe? Is that like "I'm of Nordic descent and my Dad told me I had to wear this Viking war helmet with the horns sticking out each side... or I'm going to sue you."

Hi Tim ! Good to hear your words. Completely ridiculous is correct.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
Can't offer anything regarding Jewish schools, but a couple of years ago I had a MS girl's game at a Saudi Arabian academy (northern VA area) and at least half of the girls wore the head covering and long pants -- regular tops, but with a T-shirt underneath. I let all of them play. BTW, I had to show my driver's license at the door (security reasons), and they kept it until the game was over. Actually a pretty good one-man game and it paid $60.00!
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Is a Viking war axe illegal... it's been blessed?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
You guys are having so much fun.... thought I might join in.

Safety???

What kind of head gear is unsafe?
I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic here. The rule book is very clear, and doesn't talk about any judgement or discretion required.

Kids can wear religious headgear only with a letter from the state association. Period. All other headgear is illegal. Period. If you're working for a different association that's not using Fed rules, fine, then use your discretion. In Fed games, why aren't you using Fed rules?
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 06:44am
In Memoriam

Question Re: Re: Is a Viking war axe illegal... it's been blessed?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Kids can wear religious headgear only with a letter from the state association. Period. All other headgear is illegal. Period. If you're working for a different association that's not using Fed rules, fine, then use your discretion.
A little kid with glasses shows up with a kippa.
He keeps looking and smiling at his grandparents in the stands.
They came a long way to see him play.
You ask for a letter.
Coach forgot.
If you sit him, I'm surprised.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Is a Viking war axe illegal... it's been blessed?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Kids can wear religious headgear only with a letter from the state association. Period. All other headgear is illegal. Period. If you're working for a different association that's not using Fed rules, fine, then use your discretion.
A little kid with glasses shows up with a kippa.
He keeps looking and smiling at his grandparents in the stands.
They came a long way to see him play.
You ask for a letter.
Coach forgot.
If you sit him, I'm surprised.
I have to retract my previous stance of "let 'em play". I brought this up at our chapter meeting last night and the position we must take is No Letter, No Play...PERIOD, NO EXCEPTIONS. Also, the headwear may not be secured with metal clips.

So, in the situation with the little kid with a kippa, smiling at his grandparents...I hope they enjoy their time together before and after the game because they will be unable to see him play if he refuses to comply with the rule.