View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

The situation happened in a freshman boys game yesterday. I explained the rule to the coach and even showed him the rule book. His school is from a different association. he told me they said it was ok.

I certainly would not tell someone to take something off if they couldn't, but I told the coach the player could not play with it by rule. To say the laest he wasn't too happy. His team did win the game.

My reasoning was; Since I had nothing in writing in the form of a state approval I was not going to take it upon myself to allow it. If something were to happen, an injury, no matter how unlikely, than I put myself in a very tenuous position. I also had to work the first three quarters alone. No one showed up. I didn't even have someone to discuss it with. Finally, there seems to be a lack of coaches knowing what the rules are and taking the necessary steps to care of situations like this.

A concern at the varsity level would be if no approval was granted and the lcoal association allowed it all season what would happen if the team made the playoffs and oher officials were involved.

I would hope the coach takes action today to take the necessary steps to get approval.