View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
Dangerous"

Probably not, unless it were to come off in a loose ball/ rebound situation. One problem I have and I am all for kids playing, is that coaches need to take care of details.

The proper way to have ahndles this as a coach is to hve taken care of this and then approached me and shown me the state approval. Then, obvioulsy we have no problem.

In my opinion, this coach would not have said I have it, but forgot it. He didn't know the rule. In this situation you make mutiple copies, keep one with you, put one in the med-kit, tape one in the scorebook. You know you have a special situation. You are prepared for it.

I don't belive it is my job to deny that the rule is there just to be nice to the player. Did I personally like having to do it. No. It has bohered me.

I have written my state association rules interpreter to get some clarification from them. Obviously I would not want a repeat of this and would like some specific guidelines on what steps to take in the future. When I get a response I will share it here on the board.
While I agree the coach should be proactive and have a copy with them at all times, I think a little common sense also applies. Suppose you have a game involving a private school catering to Orthodox Jews. Are you going to make the team forfiet if the coach forgot the paper from the state?

The assumption here seems to be that the state would ordinarily deny such a request. Given our current society I feel you can safely assume the state would need a reason to deny. A local (North TX) judge recently ruled that a pentagram worn by a Wiccan (sp) was a religious emblem, and thus could be worn to class and was not a violation of the schools dress code.

Let 'em play. Sure, the head covering may fall off and pose a possible safety hazard. But then, a light bulb over the court could explode causing shards of glass to fall on the floor...we don't play in the dark with a glowing ball. The building could catch on fire...but I don't remember seeing a fire unit on standby.