View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I think some of you have missed the point of 'why' the rule is in the books.

As times change we are faced with interesting decisions. The National Federation of High Schools reacted at first to the 'head covering issue' when problems were occuring in the large metropolitan areas of players wearing "do rags".

The NFHS reacted by out-lawing all types of head covers.

It had NOTHING to do with the safety 'during' the game but had everything to do with safety 'outside' the game.

We now fast forward a few years and there are several religious groups that require head coverings (some 100% of the time others during specific times) so the NFHS ruled that the state (and only the state) could make 'individual' decision on players and the right to wear a head covering.

So we, that is the royal reference to OFFICIALS, are again directed to make sure that there is PROOF that the ruling has been made.

So as an official you have to make one of two choices:

1) Follow the letter of the rule and ask for documentation that apporval has been given or,

2) Make your own decision that there is enough evidence that you strongly believe that it is agreeable to allow the head cover.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear --

There has been no LEGAL challenge to not allowing the head gear. Officals, in a court of law, are expected to abide by written rule. Therefore there has been no legal finding holding an official at fault for following the predescriped rules.

I do not think there is an 'easy' answer to this question (we get the same question and have a like rule in FED baseball) and I do believe this is some thing worth time of discussion at your local association meeting.