View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 06:50pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
Dangerous"

Probably not, unless it were to come off in a loose ball/ rebound situation. One problem I have and I am all for kids playing, is that coaches need to take care of details.

The proper way to have ahndles this as a coach is to hve taken care of this and then approached me and shown me the state approval. Then, obvioulsy we have no problem.

In my opinion, this coach would not have said I have it, but forgot it. He didn't know the rule. In this situation you make mutiple copies, keep one with you, put one in the med-kit, tape one in the scorebook. You know you have a special situation. You are prepared for it.

I don't belive it is my job to deny that the rule is there just to be nice to the player. Did I personally like having to do it. No. It has bohered me.

I have written my state association rules interpreter to get some clarification from them. Obviously I would not want a repeat of this and would like some specific guidelines on what steps to take in the future. When I get a response I will share it here on the board.
caref,
Yes, I do not disagree with what you are saying.

The coaches shouldn't put us in those positions by their ignorance, or arrogance, but they do give us that yoke.

When they do, we use our experience, knowledge and sometimes "gut feeling" and make a decision for which we are willing to take the heat.

Whether we follow a rule to the letter and get applauded,
whether we very liberally interpret a rule and get chastised, or whether we just disregard a rule and are never confronted, we make decisions with which we are willing to live.

At sub-varsity levels,
I do not make a fat kid tuck in her shirt.
I do not make a big kid wear the identical jersey of his teammates.
I do not "T" an excited sub that forgets to report.
I do not "T" a squad of 24 jr. High players with illegal numbers.
I do not penalize any wrong color of T-shirts under team jerseys.

These are decisions which I typically decide to bear. Why?
Cuz it doesn't bother me to allow these illegal actions and equipment.

To paraphrase Rut, do, or don't do, according to the cusomary practices in your area, but don't be the only official to enforce a specific ruling, because of the rules.

Your gut told you that something was wrong with the picture; sometimes that's the only answer we have.

mick