The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:11am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Cheerleader T Almost Costs Louisville Game....

Technical foul on cheerleader nearly costs Louisville a victory - The Dagger - NCAAB - Yahoo! Sports
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Pitino needs a T for his Colonel Sanders impression
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

I'm not even sure why this was a T, considering the clock showed all zeros and the article said the horn had sounded.

Even if they have to put 0.5 seconds back on the clock, how is the cheerleader's action delaying the game? The officials will have to go to the monitor to find the correct time, so how did the kid's action have any effect on the game?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I saw a blurb on this on the Yahoo front page and thought I would see that chseagle had posted it here.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:54am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I saw a blurb on this on the Yahoo front page and thought I would see that chseagle had posted it here.
At least mine directly deals with officiating!
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:30am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Ouch.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Ouch.
Yeah, I know, that one kinda hurt a bit.

While Bob and I have never been "close," that one smarted!
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Yeah, I know, that one kinda hurt a bit.

While Bob and I have never been "close," that one smarted!
I wouldn't take it personally. There's bound to be some chseagle blowback from time to time.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm not even sure why this was a T, considering the clock showed all zeros and the article said the horn had sounded.

Even if they have to put 0.5 seconds back on the clock, how is the cheerleader's action delaying the game? The officials will have to go to the monitor to find the correct time, so how did the kid's action have any effect on the game?

This was a huge mistake that thankfully didn't cost Louisville the game. As for the technical foul it falls under 10.9d under Admin. Fouls, and team followers.

9d: Delaying the game be preventing the ball from being promoptly made live or by preventing continuous play...

That is the reason why it represents a T, because the male cheerleader picked up the ball and threw it in the air. As for the horn it went off after, he the male cheerleader, picked up the ball. There was about .5 left on the clock when Kuric flushed the dunked, so that is why they went to the monitor to find the correct time.

I hope that helps and clears everything up.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I hope that cheerleader had his scholarship revoked!
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
This was a huge mistake that thankfully didn't cost Louisville the game. As for the technical foul it falls under 10.9d under Admin. Fouls, and team followers.

9d: Delaying the game be preventing the ball from being promoptly made live or by preventing continuous play...

That is the reason why it represents a T, because the male cheerleader picked up the ball and threw it in the air. As for the horn it went off after, he the male cheerleader, picked up the ball. There was about .5 left on the clock when Kuric flushed the dunked, so that is why they went to the monitor to find the correct time.

I hope that helps and clears everything up.
So the ball went through the hoop, into the hands of the cheerleader who then threw it into the air. All this happened in .5 second?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So the ball went through the hoop, into the hands of the cheerleader who then threw it into the air. All this happened in .5 second?
The clock should have stopped on the made basket...it seems to stop at .5 and then start again and runs to zero.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:06am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post

That is the reason why it represents a T, because the male cheerleader picked up the ball and threw it in the air.
I understand what happened and the rule reference. But read the rule again. The technical foul is for "DELAYING the game". This cheerleader did not do that. The clock had already expired and the horn had apparently sounded. So there was going to be a delay anyway, while the officials fixed the clock.

The cheerleader's actions do not fall under the rule you cited.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
The clock should have stopped on the made basket...it seems to stop at .5 and then start again and runs to zero.
Ah. Nothing like a home team timer.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 11:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I understand what happened and the rule reference. But read the rule again. The technical foul is for "DELAYING the game". This cheerleader did not do that. The clock had already expired and the horn had apparently sounded. So there was going to be a delay anyway, while the officials fixed the clock.

The cheerleader's actions do not fall under the rule you cited.
That's if the article is correct in its description of the play. According to Bleach the clock stopped after the made basket, the cheerleader pick up the ball, and then the clock started again. The action by the cheerleader thus prevented Pitt for getting the ball at their disposal.

Guess we need someone to youtube this one for us.