The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

injury

Had knee surgery last year and my Dr gave me tylenol-3. Knee has been really sore and I have one last game tomorrow. Has anyone taken tylenol-3's while doing a game? Any side effects? I'm a big guy and these have never bothered me before but I have never taken one while being on the court.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I have a prescription for it (really) but I usually take it after my games when I am the most hurting. I don't take it too often, but when I have, say, four games in a row, it really helps the muscle pain.

For those of you who are not "med smart", tylenol 3 is tylenol with codeine. BTW - you can buy aspirin with codeine over the counter in Canada.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I have a prescription for it (really) but I usually take it after my games when I am the most hurting. I don't take it too often, but when I have, say, four games in a row, it really helps the muscle pain.

For those of you who are not "med smart", tylenol 3 is tylenol with codeine. BTW - you can buy aspirin with codeine over the counter in Canada.
However you are limited in number of bottles you can bring back per person when it comes to the aspirin w/codeine.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 03:38am
Official Forum Member

A few years ago I slightly tore my meniscus (sp?) in my right knee. I lost a month's games, and later, on my way to a game, I stopped to get some ibuprofen. The pharmicist strongly suggested to take it 45 min. to an hour before my games, to avoid the trauma/aggravation to the injured area, rather than trying to treat it after having aggravated it.
I also take 1000 mg of glucosamine, one of the main elements that make up connective tissue, in the am with my vitamins, and 1000mg at bedtime. I understand that to be a maintenance dosage.
Since I'm vegetarian, I don't use chondroitin, which is another element of connective tissue, which comes from bovine, or porcine, or shark cartilage. It has been show to be of great benefit to sufferers of joint pain.
Most people who use these two substances report a lessening of joint discomfort within two to four weeks of usage.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 07:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm no doctor....

and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.

My advice is - if you've never done it, don't start now! If you don't know what will happen as you exercise AND in front of a crowd I wouldn't even conceive of trying it.

Ask your physician or as a minimum read the label - exercise, drive, heavy machinery?

But hey, that's just me. Good luck - whatever your decision.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Also not a doctor, but like many I have knee pain from arthritis/wearing and loss of cartilage.

Doctor's recommendation was to use 3200mg of ibuprofen each day during the season, essentially 4 tabs four times per day. He was clear that I shouldn't think of it as treating the pain, but rather treating the swelling etc on an ongoing basis. He also said he'd be willing to give a cortisone shot or two during the season but I have not needed to go that route.

I've been able to call 1-2 JV games during the week and 3-5 youth games each weekend and the pain is tolerable. Sure do hate those cafetorium floors though in some of the schools. Basketball was meant for wood, not linoleum over cement.

I wouldn't use the T-3 during a game, not would I want it in my system driving to and from the game. Too much risk I think.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I would not take opiates and then work a basketball game.

If I were trying to minimize joint pain before a game, I would take ibuprofen.

That's just what I would do, and not medical advice.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 12:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
However you are limited in number of bottles you can bring back per person when it comes to the aspirin w/codeine.
You knowing this explains a lot.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 12:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I would not take opiates and then work a basketball game.
Agree. That's just a waste of good dope.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

As a grizzled veteran of the operating room, yet no doctor, I would NOT take Tylenol 3 prior to doing ANYTHING that would require me to make judgement, especially snap judgements. It will also cause nausea and dry mouth is most cases. It is a good product but not to be triffled with. Any pain killer that is not OTC (and some that are) really have a tendancy to do funky things to your thought process. Thus the little stickers that say "May Cause Drowsiness" "Don't operate heavy machinary" etc. Or as Bill Murray said in Stripes "Its not so much the drugs but all that cough syrup I had this morning"!
I take a few Naproxen/Advil around noon time when I have a game that nite. It is an anti-inflam more so then a pain killer, but it does do wonders. I save any pain meds for after the game.
Now, if you would like to know the finer points of say Oxycontin v Oxycodeine v Tylenol 3... I MAY know a guy.............
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
I'm use Celebrex daily as an anti-inflammatory, and Arthritis Strength Tylenol an hour to hour and a half before games. Glucosamine/Chondroitin is also part of the daily routine. It's working for me. My knees seem to be getting stronger.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 03:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Nice Name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
I'm use Celebrex daily as an anti-inflammatory, and Arthritis Strength Tylenol an hour to hour and a half before games. Glucosamine/Chondroitin is also part of the daily routine. It's working for me. My knees seem to be getting stronger.
This from a guy whose screen name is "Butterfly."
Man, those meds must work well!
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
This from a guy whose screen name is "Butterfly."
Man, those meds must work well!
Yo, I thought it was kind'a clever...combination of my business name and the planes I fly. Give the ole' guy a break.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 03:44pm
This IS My Social Life

My Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
Yo, I thought it was kind'a clever...combination of my business name and the planes I fly. Give the ole' guy a break.
Oh, I thought you selected your screen name as an apt description for the ease and fluidity with which you move about the court.
Probably still applies that way, eh?
Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Oh, I thought you selected your screen name as an apt description for the ease and fluidity with which you move about the court.
Probably still applies that way, eh?
That one went right over my head, probably because those "ease and fluidity" days are long gone. I've really grown to appreciate 3 person mechanics!