The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I disagree as well. It is very easy to say what you should do when you are not there or not in the situation. Actually I looked at many of the actions by the officials similar to a baseball crew trying to get a mad man manager/coach off the field. Not sure what you can do if the guy wants to yell and scream and rant and rave like that. Most coaches do not act that way and I am sure they were trying to get on with the game. Easy to say what should be done when the actions of the coach were so over the top.

Peace
It's really hard to discuss best practices in any endeavor without using examples of situations involving less-than-best practices. It doesn't mean that the crew in the older Floyd scenario wasn't comprised of great officials. But I don't think any of them would tell you today that they handled that situation as well as they could have. As long as it creates a positive learning opportunity for others and no one is being hyper-critical, I don't see what the problem is with pointing out some "areas of opportunity" in the clip.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
It's really hard to discuss best practices in any endeavor without using examples of situations involving less-than-best practices. It doesn't mean that the crew in the older Floyd scenario wasn't comprised of great officials. But I don't think any of them would tell you today that they handled that situation as well as they could have. As long as it creates a positive learning opportunity for others and no one is being hyper-critical, I don't see what the problem is with pointing out some "areas of opportunity" in the clip.
One of the officials at the camp I was at was on this game. He admitted that they handled Floyd incorrectly. They should've taken care of Floyd first and foremost before handling anything at the table. He uses this clip as a learning scenario on how (or how not) to handle a "flash point" during a game. As he talked about it, my respect for him as an official (as well as a person) grew immensley.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 05:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
One of the officials at the camp I was at was on this game. He admitted that they handled Floyd incorrectly. They should've taken care of Floyd first and foremost before handling anything at the table. He uses this clip as a learning scenario on how (or how not) to handle a "flash point" during a game. As he talked about it, my respect for him as an official (as well as a person) grew immensley.
OK, so the breakdown/analysis you gave us all on page two of this thread was actually what the official talked about?
That is pretty cool that he would break it down like that and discuss what he felt they did poorly/could have done better.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 11:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
OK, so the breakdown/analysis you gave us all on page two of this thread was actually what the official talked about?
That is pretty cool that he would break it down like that and discuss what he felt they did poorly/could have done better.
First camp I ever attended the director showed us a tape of a fight that occurred in his game and how the officials mistakes help lead to the situation, mainly not paying attention to off-ball players. A lesson ingrained in my brain.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ok-Tim Floyd is an embarassment to the coaching profession. Anybody here work volleyball? I have a terrible example of a high school coach getting ejected-

Middle of the fifth set a coach from the visiting school goes ballistic over a line call made by a home school's jv player.Referee accepts the call and awards the point accordingly.The coach then takes a couple of aggressive steps towards the JV girl who made the call while yelling at the referees and throwing his hat on the court.He earned the yellow,red,and yellow/red cards in a span of about 90 seconds.On the way out of our gym after being ejected he proceeded to karate kick one of the double doors.
In the case of Tim Floyd's video documented ejections there was game management in place to handle it.In my case we did not have communication with our game management staff.Afterword we realized that our school's security staff did not give us a radio to summon them if they were not in the gym and something happened.During the incident it was up to those of us in the building to get him out and finish the match.The table was being run by two former lady coaches and our only other available staff was the male head coach and myself.This coach played for a local university and was 6'5 240 or so and the we were both 5'5 160 or so.I was formulating what I was going to do if I had to deal with him and I would have said "Lay one hand on me in a inappropriate manner and I have absolutely no problem calling the cops."
He eventually leaves the building at the urging of his school's parents and AD but our security staff watched him until he left the premises.This coach's AD apologized to us for his behavior and made him write a letter of apology to the JV girl and our school.He was suspended one match for his behavior in this incident.Conference USA unfortunately does not realize the impact that letting Floyd get away with his antics will have at the high school and lower levels.

Had another incident where in a girls summer league basketball championship game one of the fans was ejected for commentary on the referees.On his way out he threatened to key my AD's car so we kept him in his office for about an half hour while the crowd dispersed.When he left he summoned a police officer who did a drive around and helped us disperse the crowd.An email was sent to the AD of the school who's fan was ejected saying "You will send some sort of administrative supervision or we will not play this boys championship game." They did and the boys fans were way more tame than the girls.

Its sad how coaches and fans are allowed to behave sometimes.Tim Floyd needed to be the example of what happens to people who display bad sportsmanship.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sat Feb 26, 2011 at 04:26pm. Reason: Wanted to tell another story
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 04:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
I did not say what they did worked like a charm. Just saying that when you are dealing with an unreasonable person that puts you in unreasonable situation. Of course they could have done a lot of situations, but not many of us will ever be in that situation or see it many times in our career. So we can discuss all kinds of things they could have done, but it changes when the lights are on you. That is really all I am saying. If the officials did the things differently or did things in a different order, that is not going to change this maniac.

Peace