The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You know how no one remembers who the speaking captains are? Well when I'm reporting fouls I totally zone out as to who the official scorer is. I look at the person in the middle of the table (usually the timer). Works out well b/c I notice that they echo what I said to the 2 scorers.
That is why when you work with a table with a scorer in stripes int makes a big difference. Its a nice touch when it happens.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

That's why we put the official scorer in the middle. We know that the official will come to half court and report a foul.In our eyes it only makes sense for the official scorer to have the seat even with the division line because that is where the report will occur.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic referee View Post
speaking for officials everywhere, we really don't give a sh!t.
+1
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
I am trained in all table positions, for one. Even though it's been about 10 years since I've actually done scorer duties.

Did you ask everyone what their thoughts are? If not, then technically you cannot speak for everyone.
Actually he does not have to speak for everyone. I have never in all my years gave a darn who was working the table until they did something where they needed to be removed. Only once did I have to remove someone and he was a problem for an extended person to that program.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 07:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have never in all my years gave a darn who was working the table until they did something where they needed to be removed. Only once did I have to remove someone and he was a problem for an extended person to that program.
Don't take it too hard, cheasgle, but there it is right there.

We all have our job to do at a game. That inludes the popcorn lady. And part of our job is to make sure the chseagles of the world do their job. But if they don't, we just stop the game, find the AD, and say "Hey there, Mr. AD, I got me a faulty chseagle here. And this particular chseagle is beyond repair. Can y'all find me a new one?" And the AD says "No, problem. You there...popcorn lady...I need you to time the game. I know it's a step down in prestige but I got me a broken chseagle needs replacing and all my spare chseagles are out being de-wormed. I'll get Mort, the ticket-taker, to take over for you. He's just sitting around on his hiney doing nuthin' anyway." And the game goes on.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 07:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Reporting Area ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
We know that the official will come to half court and report a foul. In our eyes it only makes sense for the official scorer to have the seat even with the division line because that is where the report will occur.
The reporting area is a lot bigger than that. Three point line to three point line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 08:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Did you ask everyone what their thoughts are? If not, then technically you cannot speak for everyone.
He didn't say everyone, he said everywhere. I'm pretty sure that everywhere there are officials, there's at least one who doesn't give a sh1t.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 08:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's why we put the official scorer in the middle. We know that the official will come to half court and report a foul.In our eyes it only makes sense for the official scorer to have the seat even with the division line because that is where the report will occur.
Really? The only time I ever report from the division line is when I happened to make a call from the division line. Usually a handcheck or similar foul, although once I got to report a technical foul from immediately in front of the table.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

True, we also place the scorer in the middle so that the clock operators have access to the power supply.In our set-up we have to run extension cords to the table for the shot and game clocks as well as the sound system.We put the fans on one side and the teams on the other.A lot of our people will report from the 10 ft line on the volleyball court but those people that do college will come all the way to half-court.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 04:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A lot of our people will report from the 10 ft line on the volleyball court but those people that do college will come all the way to half-court.
That surprises me, a lot.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 04:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
True, we also place the scorer in the middle so that the clock operators have access to the power supply.In our set-up we have to run extension cords to the table for the shot and game clocks as well as the sound system.We put the fans on one side and the teams on the other.A lot of our people will report from the 10 ft line on the volleyball court but those people that do college will come all the way to half-court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That surprises me, a lot.
I do a little bit of college. I rarely come to mid-court to report. If I do it's most always because I will be the new lead going the other way. It's when I report from mid-court that I usually encounter the most traffic between me and the table crew.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How long of an extension cord?

I wish more gyms were setup with the fans on one side of the gym while the teams & table are on the opposite side.

For our main gym here, we run a 25-ft. extension cord from a 6 outlet surge protector under the scorers' table 6 ft. to the plug-in located in the bleachers. As of yet still using wired scoreboard & shot clock controllers.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Eagle,
We use a 3 ft secondary cord and then a 15 ft or so extension cord to access the outlets in the bleachers.Keeping the fans over on the other side is a great idea if you can pull it off.My AD was the former boys coach and he said after the first season in this set-up that we should have done it years ago.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Eagle,
We use a 3 ft secondary cord and then a 15 ft or so extension cord to access the outlets in the bleachers.Keeping the fans over on the other side is a great idea if you can pull it off.My AD was the former boys coach and he said after the first season in this set-up that we should have done it years ago.
In the main gym I do not know how it could be done as the home student section is directly across from the visitors' bench.

The local community college has their gym set up right, as the gym is built with the bleachers only on one side of the gym. The benches & table are on the opposite side.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Eagle,
In your set-up which we use once a year (homecoming) I would suggest to your superiors that a section about 4 rows high be roped off immediately behind the table.It gives you a little bit of breathing room at least from the fans.We put signs on those seat that limit them to school staff only!