The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

table error makes ref look bad

At GV state tourney game. I am there as a spectator.

A32 commits a front court foul. Coach immediately sends sub to table. L reports foul clearly and correctly. Two man game (yea, don't ask why a state tourney game is two man), so refs rotate and B makes another sub just before the throw-in.

Now twenty seconds later the tables buzzes and asks for clarification on who the foul is on. Ref says A32. Table responds there is no A32 in the game (she was subbed quickly). Ref is now looking around at the floor trying to find the offender, and finally changes the report to A3 because she kinda looks like A32.

The real problem was the sub reporting quickly while the ref was still reporting. The table got distracted and the wrong player got the foul.

Anything the ref could have done? He held the sub while he reported, but the table was still confused.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

20 seconds after the foul I would not have changed it based on that information. I have changed numbers before (did it just the other day) but not so long after the foul with the reasoning being #32 is not in the game. The official(s) should have been aware there were subs brought into the game since the time of the infraction.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Other than remembering that A32 had subbed out immediately after the foul call? Not really.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post

A32 commits a front court foul. Coach immediately sends sub to table. L reports foul clearly and correctly. Two man game (yea, don't ask why a state tourney game is two man), so refs rotate and B makes another sub just before the throw-in.

Now twenty seconds later the tables buzzes and asks for clarification on who the foul is on. Ref says A32. Table responds there is no A32 in the game (she was subbed quickly). Ref is now looking around at the floor trying to find the offender, and finally changes the report to A3 because she kinda looks like A32.

The real problem was the sub reporting quickly while the ref was still reporting. The table got distracted and the wrong player got the foul.

Anything the ref could have done? He held the sub while he reported, but the table was still confused.
I guess he could have asked who got subbed out. Or if there was an A32 in the book.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Notice that the scorer is or isn't scoring.
Presuming it was noticed that the table was confused, fix the confusion before continuing.

Which leads me to the next question, how many of you notice whether the scorer records what you tell them before continuing with the game?
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Notice that the scorer is or isn't scoring.
Presuming it was noticed that the table was confused, fix the confusion before continuing.

Which leads me to the next question, how many of you notice whether the scorer records what you tell them before continuing with the game?
I'm making eye contact with the scorer every time I report something. If I'm constantly having to wait on the scorer because he's not paying attention, then that's an issue that's going to be addressed.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I ensure eye contact; but I don't make sure he writes anything down. I have to have a certain level of trust until I get evidence to the contrary.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When reporting the foul, make sure to have eye contact with the scorer & timer, so that both receive the information.

One thing you didn't mention was where was the sub, in front of the scorer kneeling or standing, or was the sub off to the side kneeling or standing? Also was it a one book table or a two book table?

If a two book table have the official scorer confer with the other book about who the foul was on & make sure they are in constant communication throughout the game about who scored & fouled and the running score & foul counts.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 04:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
When reporting the foul, make sure to have eye contact with the scorer & timer, so that both receive the information.
Whyinthehell would we care if the timer knows who committed a foul? The only official information on the scoreboard is the time.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Whyinthehell would we care if the timer knows who committed a foul? The only official information on the scoreboard is the time.
recording the foul on the scoreboard, for one. even if not official. Also depending on the communication structure of the table, the timer assists the scorer with who scored &/or fouled.

If the only official item on the scoreboard is the time, then why have everything else posted as well? The coaches use both the scoreboard & the scorebook(s) for information pertaining to the score & fouls.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 05:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
recording the foul on the scoreboard, for one. even if not official. Also depending on the communication structure of the table, the timer assists the scorer with who scored &/or fouled.

If the only official item on the scoreboard is the time, then why have everything else posted as well? The coaches use both the scoreboard & the scorebook(s) for information pertaining to the score & fouls.
JR point is simple; we don't care if the timer knows or not. If he doesn't know but needs to, he can get it from the scorer. My only concern is that the scorer gets it. Anyone beyond that is irrelevant to me.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The rest of that information on the scoreboard is superfluous. There's a reason why games can be done with a scoreboard that only has the time and the score. Team fouls and player foul counts are just for the fans. I'm not going to ensure the timer is paying attention. If he does, good for him. If he doesn't, not my problem.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 05:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The rest of that information on the scoreboard is superfluous. There's a reason why games can be done with a scoreboard that only has the time and the score. Team fouls and player foul counts are just for the fans. I'm not going to ensure the timer is paying attention. If he does, good for him. If he doesn't, not my problem.
Even then, the score isn't official. I could do one without a scoreboard and be perfectly happy. Just give me a clock and an arrow.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Even then, the score isn't official. I could do one without a scoreboard and be perfectly happy. Just give me a clock and an arrow.
Well...I'm not going to go that far.

Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 06:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And no team foul count.