The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Opinion on officials remarks......

My old home team playing in a 3rd round Iowa contest. Foul count 10-0 against our team. During a TO our HC is naturally complaining about the loopsidedness and really kept his composer while doing so. After he turns his back,back to his team,the official backs away. I am very good at reading lips and the cheap bugger said "A__Hole" to the coaches back. I Feel that I should report him,but the other officials did a good job. Also during any dead-ball he was smacking and blowing his gum????? Our team did win by a good margin in the end. As an official,it was very hard to stay in my seat when all around me people were jumping and hollering. He only called one foul on the other team all night when there was only 3 seconds to go.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
My old home team playing in a 3rd round Iowa contest. Foul count 10-0 against our team. During a TO our HC is naturally complaining about the loopsidedness and really kept his composer while doing so. After he turns his back,back to his team,the official backs away. I am very good at reading lips and the cheap bugger said "A__Hole" to the coaches back. I Feel that I should report him,but the other officials did a good job. Also during any dead-ball he was smacking and blowing his gum????? Our team did win by a good margin in the end. As an official,it was very hard to stay in my seat when all around me people were jumping and hollering. He only called one foul on the other team all night when there was only 3 seconds to go.
Sorry, you sound like a fanboy and I strongly suggest spell check.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lots of superfluous stuff here.

Would I report an official for saying an expletive behind a coach's back? Probably not. Report an official for blowing gum? Not if I wasn't working the game and even then, I might just give a friendly suggestion. Believe me, if the assignor cares, he'll be found out sooner or later. Not to say it looks professional but it's not my place IMO to say anything.

And what does it matter that he called one foul on the other team? I know it's rare, but sometimes, that's the way the dice rolls. To say anything would be questioning his integrity. I'm not going down that road.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

That is my point exactly. That he was not acting in a professional manner. Perhaps as you say,an assigner will probably weed him out.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is my point exactly. That he was not acting in a professional manner. Perhaps as you say,an assigner will probably weed him out.
Well then why point out the foul count? It really comes off as fanboyish when you say the count is 10-0 and the official in question only called one foul on the other team. The fact that you mention how many fouls he call for your team, in the context of your post, makes it sound like you're questioning his integrity.

As far as his actions, if you read his lips correctly, then obviously that's not professional. Of course you could be wrong on this and another reason why I'm not even thinking about reporting this. It would be more appropriate a member of the offending team or one of his partners to take care of this...not a fan.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

A lil birdie told me it was time for River Ref to bugger off back down the river of callitbothways.

Foul count 10-0, ever seen one team aggressively drive the lane drawing fouls all night while the other puts up uncontested jumpers?

You read an officials lips??? Professional or not...Maybe he was just chewing his gum.

Since you don't KNOW what he said, and you don't have any PROOF he was biased (as your post certainly suggests), it sounds to me like your a sore loser looking for an excuse as to why the team you were rooting for lost.

Last edited by NoFussRef; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 12:10am.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
kept his composer while doing so..
Beethoven or Mozart? Or maybe Shostakovich?
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 06:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
No, we keep them. They can be trained. What we try to weed out is back-stabbing fanboys like you who masquerade as officials. You're a lost cause.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

(Since you don't KNOW what he said, and you don't have any PROOF he was biased (as your post certainly suggests), it sounds to me like your a sore loser looking for an excuse as to why the team you were rooting for lost.)

We did not lose the game. The 2nd half the fouls counts were both over 10.He only called one foul in the whole 2nd half and it was with 3 seconds left in the game. I started this thread because I did not think he represented officials very well and asked for your opinions.

Last edited by River Ref; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 08:37am.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Since you don't KNOW what he said, and you don't have any PROOF he was biased (as your post certainly suggests), it sounds to me like your a sore loser looking for an excuse as to why the team you were rooting for lost.)

We did not lose the game. The 2nd half the fouls counts were both over 10.He only called one foul in the whole 2nd half and it was with 3 seconds left in the game. I started this thread because I did not think he represented officials very well and asked for your opinions.
Unless a video of the entire game is posted, how can we opine without any actual knowledge of the game.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 08:57am
I miss being on the floor

Was it a 3-whistle game?

I've only worked 3-man once...in a scrimmage...but the very first thing I noticed is how you call fewer fouls as an individual.

In the game I watched last night, it seemed like one guy was always at the table reporting the fouls. I thought the crew as a whole did a great job. It just happens that way some nights.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I started this thread because I did not think he represented officials very well and asked for your opinions.
And you think that YOU are representing officials well when you come here complaining about the mean ol' officials screwing "our team" (your exact words)? I hate to break it to you but "our team" IS the officials.

My opinion is that you're just another back-stabbing graduate of the Judtech School of Officiating Ethics. Do us all a favor and stay in the stands where you belong. Well, either that or become an assistant coach.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was at this game.

I was sitting directly across from you and I read your lips all night.

You kept repeating "that's a reach" and "over the back" all night
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
i was at this game.

I was sitting directly across from you and i read your lips all night.

You kept repeating "that's a reach" and "over the back" all night
Bang!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Again, what does it matter? What is the point of telling us this bit of information. If all you did was tell us what he allegedly said and was chewing gum like you said, then yeah, we all know he shouldn't have done that.

The rest of what you included is superfluous and is coming dangerously close to questioning the official's integrity unless there was some other point in telling us the count was 10-0 and that he called only one foul on the other team.

Last edited by APG; Sat Feb 19, 2011 at 01:24pm.