The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Runner on first. Pitcher throws over. 1B sweep-tags runner hand off bag. I banged runner out. Off. manager is bulls**t, says 1B can't push his player off base. It was just a catch and sweep, no violent intent (my editorial comment).

Did I blow this call?

Doug
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

You do not give us enough information. What exactly did the runner and the fielder do?
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

As Macaroo said, not enough info. Did you run ol' foul mouth?

Bob
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbide Keyman
Runner on first. Pitcher throws over. 1B sweep-tags runner hand off bag. I banged runner out. Off. manager is bulls**t, says 1B can't push his player off base. It was just a catch and sweep, no violent intent (my editorial comment).

Did I blow this call?

Doug
To answer your question, yes, you blew this very easy call. This is obviously obsturction. Signal obstuction and award R1 second base. This is the rule for FED games, but if the game is an OBR game, use 9.01c to award R1 second base. Everyone knows that MLB wants to change their obsturction rule to the Federation ruling, but the player's union won't let them. I talked to Rick Roder about this just last week, and he verified that I am correct. Just wait a year or two and this will be the official ruling.

Also, why did you not eject the offensive manager? It should be your goal to eject as many people as possible in every single game. My association gives out an award for the official who ejects the most participants each year. It is a very prestigious award, and will help you get many state championship games. Thankfully, with my good game management skills, I won the award last season with 65 ejections durring my 42 game high school season (I didn't win the award for the "summer season" for I was out evaulating umpires in the NCAA DI playoffs). Peter Osbourne has a series of articles on the paid part of the site about ejections, and I suggest you don't take his advice. He does not eject enough people.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Luke has gone off his rocker, thinks he is Lance.

If it was a standard sweep tag and the player's hand can not maintain contact when the tag is applied then he is out. Good call.

If you did not run the coach who said bulls**t, then you blew that call.

[Edited by DG on May 14th, 2005 at 08:23 PM]
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Standard garden-variety sweep tag with no malice, knocked the hand from the base. I never considered obstruction at all.

And yes, I ran potty mouth.

Doug
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Luke,

The ambulett has arrived, ready to take you back to the home. Rick is the driver and is looking forward to your baseball discussions. Peter, the attendant outside your room says you can still play in the outfield if you want, ALL BY YOURSELF.

Good night Johnboy,

Good night Luke