The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

any comments from officials on this forum as far as their responses to ignorant fans when being heckled.the reason i ask is because of some responses nba ref earl strom came back with in his day were witty and hillarious.i'm just a bb fan that would like to hear some classic comebacks to fans that don't know the rules.i mean, really,if you refs knew as much as the fans,you wouldn't be heckled!(lol w/alot of sarcasmmmmm)humorous input is appreciated.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have never talked back to a fan. I might use a come back with a few coaches, but never will I discuss anything with a fan.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking back to the crowd is a dangerous game to play. You are not likely to win that game, and you'll certainly take a credibility hit.

However, if you do a search on this site for "Davism" (go to google and add sitefficialforum.com to your search -- hmmm, that emoticon is actually a colon followed by the letter o), you'll find a whole lot of things we wish we could say

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Mar 8th, 2005 at 04:00 PM]
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:06pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

During warm-ups there was a group of 12 16-18 year-old lads that already were hyped into the game (15 minutes before it started).

I strolled over to position and said "Hi, guys."
They returned the greeting.

I asked them to help me out if they "saw me kick any calls".

They had fun the whole game, but not at my expense.
mick

Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

ref18,i know it is not appropriate to acknowledge idiots,but casually refs sometimes interact or comment to descent and respectful fans with regards to the comment made by goofan whom might not be in listening distance.i know i've chatted briefly with some refs just prior to inbounds play resuming.we'd both get a laugh and play continues.hope you understand my point.thanks for your response.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

When I was waiting at half court for teams to come out of their huddles, this guy sitting about 2 rows up had been borderline all day with his comments. He was this big corn fed galoot. AS I am standing there with my backed turned, he spouts off with, "You guys are horrible!" I put the ball in front of my face, drop my whistle, turned my head towards him and said, "How would you know?" The other fans sitting in the area all ducked their heads in their hands and started to giggle.
The rest of the date was pretty pleasant.

I also asked this older gentleman one time - If he was here, who was stirring the sauce?

Being a xxx does have it's advantages sometimes.
AAR

[Edited by mick on Mar 8th, 2005 at 06:12 PM]
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Not a comment to a fan but a great one a friend of mine had this year.

A1 forces her way down the lane between several players, takes an off balance runner and falls to the floor, out of bounds, beneath the basket. She looks up and says to my friend "Where's the foul!" He replies "Here it is!" WHACK!

Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

please keepem' coming.good stuff.LOL
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams

A1 forces her way down the lane between several players, takes an off balance runner and falls to the floor, out of bounds, beneath the basket. She looks up and says to my friend "Where's the foul!" He replies "Here it is!" WHACK!

Do we know eachother??

And back to noinwe's post, I have no problem having a laugh with a fan, but if they are critizing you, don't waste your time responding.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

should have been more specific and added coaches,players and fans comments.thanks
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams

you have to be kidding. Issuing a T for that??? geeeesh
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

hey ref18, i don't believe we've met.i'm agaloot from pothole,pa. tried to get some comments on a bb forum in pa just to break the ice from some of the negative feedback coming from biased pinheads.a official referred me to this forum.figured i could get real laughs on here.he was right.officials got a tough job!how long have you been on th e hardwood?

[Edited by mick on Mar 8th, 2005 at 06:11 PM]
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

The only reason I asked is because I've used that line with coaches.

I'm from Ontario, Canada, so I'm pretty sure we've never met.

I agree fans don't know their xx from a whole in the ground. I used to read the Hoop-La a local bulletin board regarding high school basketball, but don't anymore because the fans are so stupid. I've been pounding the hardwood for 4 years now.

[Edited by mick on Mar 8th, 2005 at 06:05 PM]
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Bobby Knight shared a story on the Dan Patrick show today about his interaction with a fan at Michigan State years ago. The fan was notorious for heckling Knight so one year Bob decided to engage in a "conversation" with him. Knight called the fan out of the stands before the game and handed him a few peppermints with the comment "Why don't you chew on these tonight instead of chewing on my xx". The fan stopped his heckling and the two became good friends over the years. The fan even went so far as to get a resolution passed in the Michigan legislature honoring Knight for his years of service to Big 10(+1) basketball.

[Edited by mick on Mar 8th, 2005 at 06:06 PM]
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Tue Mar 08, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I actually had a partner last year who had two in one night. We had a JV/Varsity Boys double-header (most of our games around here are like that) between two big rival schools. The horn sounded for halftime of the JV game, and as the three of us are gathering at midcourt to go to the table, the visiting coach comes running out and starts going nuts. It was one of those things that you could kinda see coming. The coach got only a few words out before WHACK! my partner nails him. In response, the coach yells, "Hell, you might as well just give me the second one!" WHACK! now he gets the pointer finger to the door as well. Until this point, none of us have said anything. As the coach is getting ready to turn, he then yells, "I've been coaching for 11 years, and I have never been ejected from a game!" Now my partner replies, "Well, then I guess you will have to start that streak over again."

After the coach was ejected, he kept trying to come back in the gym, we actually had to get the sheriffs involved.

In the varsity game, there was a fan sitting in the first row, foul line extended, and he was being extremely loud, and even more obnoxious. After getting on my partner a few times, he was standing in the C near him. The guy said someting, and he just turned to him and said, "You probably don't know this, but I actually hold an officiating record for throwing fans out of gyms." Interestingly, the guy actually quieted down after that.

At this particular school, things are always interesting, and this night was no different.