The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Well this is what I did. I brought the coaches together to which the home coach said "jeremy, we have a new shot clock operator, and you will have to watch her"

I told both this. I KNOW that more than 7 seconds went off the clock and now since we have lost 10 seconds off the game clock, we are going to add 3 seconds to the game clock, and award the ball to the home team due to the visiting team allowing the shot clock to expire.

The clock was verified at 7, but a good couple seconds after the inbound, the operator reset. Yes, we should have caught it, and working with a couple relatively new NCAA rules officials, I should have looked again.

Lesson learned, and both coaches had no problem with the ruling.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yeah, I can see that. The idea of wiping a foul, though, and resetting the clock seems precariously close, IMO. Even a CE doesn't involve negating a foul.
It is simply using the principle of "definite knowledge" to reset the clock; you're not resetting the clock back to the original time, only back to the time where it was determined the violation occured. Then, as far as the "foul" is concerned, it would be no different than if you saw contact after the horn went off - you simply ignore it unless it was intentional or flagrant, since the violation occured first.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
It is simply using the principle of "definite knowledge" to reset the clock; you're not resetting the clock back to the original time, only back to the time where it was determined the violation occured. Then, as far as the "foul" is concerned, it would be no different than if you saw contact after the horn went off - you simply ignore it unless it was intentional or flagrant, since the violation occured first.
A retroactive dead ball? Do we do that for anything else 10 seconds after the fact?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A retroactive dead ball? Do we do that for anything else 10 seconds after the fact?
How about an end-of-game scenario? Same play, but instead of the shot clock at 7, it's the game clock. After an amount of time (say, 17 seconds) with the ball inbounds, a foul occurs to send a player to the line with a chance to win the game. However, after checking the monitor, it was determined the clock started about 10 seconds after it should have, and the foul occured well after the 7 seconds that should've run off the game clock. Wouldn't the ruling be the same?

(Yes, I know the officials should be watching the clock, counting, etc. so that this shouldn't happen.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno View Post
Thanks, Bad. Would there be a point where the mistake could not be rectified?
Yes. When the "reset" shot clock expires.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes. When the "reset" shot clock expires.
So 'shot-clock period' refers to the 'new' shot clock and not the previous? 5-11.4 states "...may be corrected in the shot-clock period in which it occurred." ("it" being the mistake, not the discovery)

Jeremy handled it properly (kudos), but i'm confused by the wording.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno View Post
Thanks, Bad. Would there be a point where the mistake could not be rectified?

I haven't researched enough to give a definitive answer, but it seems the norm for most situations is before the 2nd live ball. But then what about a situation where after the shot clock should have expired then there is an OOB to Team A and then there is 2nd dead ball while A is in possession and the mistake is realized?