The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Clock and horn question

Situation... A foul is called at the moment clock goes to 00.0 and the horn blast starts... The TK hits the clock stop button when he sees the official raise the arm... Will the horn still sound for its full duration, i.e., 2 or 3 seconds, or does the clock kill also kill the horn such that the horn would sound for only a fraction of a second?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

what does any of that matter? i dont get the question or its relevance to the game of basketball?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:36pm
In Memoriam

What difference would it make?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Finally...a question CHS can answer in depth!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Half A Horn ???

After thirty years of hearing lots of horns, in lots of gyms, I believe that some horns will stop part way through their "sound" if the clock operator hits the stop clock button at 0:00. I don't know why it would matter, rulewise, the horn still sounded.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

A situation I experienced as a TK in a frantic sequence at the end of regulation time prompted this question. As a TK, knowing what a clock-horn will do in this situation is significant to me. In a very, very noisy gym, a very short horn blast, e.g., two tenths, may not be well heard. A full blast is more likely to be heard, even over the noise. I guess I can just test each clock beforehand to know what I've got.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
A situation I experienced as a TK in a frantic sequence at the end of regulation time prompted this question. As a TK, knowing what a clock-horn will do in this situation is significant to me. In a very, very noisy gym, a very short horn blast, e.g., two tenths, may not be well heard. A full blast is more likely to be heard, even over the noise. I guess I can just test each clock beforehand to know what I've got.
This is something you can note before the game. When the clock is running down during warm ups, you can note how the horn will blast when the clock runs down to zero.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation... A foul is called at the moment clock goes to 00.0 and the horn blast starts... The TK hits the clock stop button when he sees the official raise the arm... Will the horn still sound for its full duration, i.e., 2 or 3 seconds, or does the clock kill also kill the horn such that the horn would sound for only a fraction of a second?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Finally...a question CHS can answer in depth!
It all depends on the scoreboard manufacturer's specifications on how long the horn after hitting the clock stop button. It can also depend on the year of manufacturing.

APG, Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
This is something you can note before the game. When the clock is running down during warm ups, you can note how the horn will blast when the clock runs down to zero.
Not always is the clock going to be allowed to run all the way down to :00.0 before the game.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First, you're a timer, period. There's no such thing as a TK.

Second, it makes no difference, as the horn ends the period no matter how long it sounds.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Not always is the clock going to be allowed to run all the way down to :00.0 before the game.
Now, did that really need to be said?

Since he's the tiemr, I believe he is probably the one who gets to decide whether it runs all the way down or not.

Good grief.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
First, you're a timer, period. There's no such thing as a TK.

Second, it makes no difference, as the horn ends the period no matter how long it sounds.
Timekeeper means the same thing as timer. Unless I'm mistaken it's an older term that has previously been used.

Yes the horn ends the period, however I can see the reasoning for asking especially in noisy gyms where it might be hard to heard a short horn blast.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Now, did that really need to be said?

Since he's the tiemr, I believe he is probably the one who gets to decide whether it runs all the way down or not.

Good grief.
Actually it all depends on GM as a whole, not just the timer.

For example: here for Varsity Games, once the minute horn sounds the clock is stopped & reset to 8:00 & team introductions are done.

The same was done during 3A/4A Regionals last year.

It would not surprise me if the same procedure is to be used for the JUCO Tournament in March.

Last edited by chseagle; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 12:26am.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Timekeeper means the same thing as timer. Unless I'm mistaken it's an older term that has previously been used.

Yes the horn ends the period, however I can see the reasoning for asking especially in noisy gyms where it might be hard to heard a short horn blast.
First, the term is timer. Don't believe me, have somebody read it to you from the rule book. So how aobut we teach the newbie the proper term?

Second, if the horn sounds, the period is over. It doesn't matter how loud the damn gym is. The clock will be at zero and the officials will group to see if either of them or the table heard the horn. Someone will have.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually it all depends on GM as a whole, not just the timer.

For example: here for Varsity Games, once the minute horn sounds the clock is stopped & reset to 8:00 & team introductions are done.

The same was done during 3A/4A Regionals last year.

None of that means a thing. If the guy needs to learn about the horn, he can allow the time to run down and see what the horn sounds like.

eagle, could you do us all a favor and just STFU?