The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Third quarter winding down. A foul is called, the clock stops. The clock reads "00.00" but the horn had not blown yet.
The lane was cleared and the shooter was given her two throws. The quarter was called over.
Was that the correct call, or should we have allowed the players to line up and let the horn end the quarter?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Aaha! Great post Bob. Even though he didn't take my word on it, we'll find out what the "experts" say. There are several guys hanging out around here that know their stuff, even though we never totally agree on every little detail. Good to have you aboard.
Some background on the clock. It is definitely very slow to blow the horn, at least a second after it reads all zero's before it goes off.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

oops, and gals too, sorry Julie
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
oops, and gals too, sorry Julie
It'll take years of counselling, but I'll eventually learn to forgive you (insert cute little smilie here)
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Third quarter winding down. A foul is called, the clock stops. The clock reads "00.00" but the horn had not blown yet.
The lane was cleared and the shooter was given her two throws. The quarter was called over.
Was that the correct call, or should we have allowed the players to line up and let the horn end the quarter?
The period ends when the horn sounds. 5-6, 5.6C

By not lining up the players, you were depriving A (and, unlikely, B) of an opportunity to score if the second throw was missed.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I told them Bob. I had stayed around after my games and watched. But no matter what we couldn't convince Rev's partner to let the horn decide the end, so I just gave up on her, you know how hard-headed those woman partners can be. Oops, there I go again, gotta be more careful.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

This was handled incorrectly.

The quarter ends at the sounding of the horn (assuming it is an automatic horn) not even at 0.0000000000000000000000. Keep playing (with players lined up for the FT) until the horn goes off.

NFHS: 5-6
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you have definite knowledge of a timing error OR the table forgot to turn on the automatic horn!
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Tap / Try

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
This was handled incorrectly.

The quarter ends at the sounding of the horn (assuming it is an automatic horn) not even at 0.0000000000000000000000. Keep playing (with players lined up for the FT) until the horn goes off.

NFHS: 5-6
Mark,

What about the legal tap / try issue with less than 0.3 If the clock shows 0.0 with no horn. The horn would sound at the time of the touch assuming the 2nd shot missed right? I probably agree with the fact that the quarter wasnt over until the horn but I would be interested to hear opinions on what would happen next? Is 0.0 enough time for a tap?

Larks
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yes that could be enough time for a tap. There is no time restriction in the rules for a tap, the .3 rule just means that it can't be a catch and shoot try with .3 or less.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 04:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Yes it is enough time for a tap...the clock will start when ball is touched - theoretically...what that means is that the timer has to push the little button - he/she can't do that any faster than the player can tap the ball toward his/her baslet...line them up for the shots...
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 04:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

IN your particular case, I would have checked with the table prior to the free throws. If the auto horn was on, then proceed normally. If it was off, assume the quarter was over because the horn would have sounded and clear the lane.

I know there's a dichotomy in there somewhere.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

You are right in thinking of making sure about the autohorn. In this one, however we had been in the same gym for three days in this tournament and it had been the same all the time. We all knew it was on but just hadn't gone off yet. The first couple of times I kept hinting to the clock operator, thinking that she wasn't getting the clock going properly, but it became apparent that we simply had a really slow horn, and when we thought of it we pregamed it with the coaches.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

A tap for goal is legal at any time prior to the horn.

One thing I have always argued is that the time required to start and stop the clock (not lag time - that refers to errors; I'm talking about the .2 seconds or so reaction of a good timer) is built in to the clock. That's just my personal philosophy, though.

The real reason this rule exists is because of clocks without tenths - they can show zero when there is really 0.9 left - plenty of time to get off a shot.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
A tap for goal is legal at any time prior to the horn.

One thing I have always argued is that the time required to start and stop the clock (not lag time - that refers to errors; I'm talking about the .2 seconds or so reaction of a good timer) is built in to the clock. That's just my personal philosophy, though.

The real reason this rule exists is because of clocks without tenths - they can show zero when there is really 0.9 left - plenty of time to get off a shot.
Thanks Mark. Well said.