The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
eagle, could you do us all a favor and just STFU?
BBR can you be a little bit circumspect? There are many times over the years you have been more overbearing than CHS has been.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
None of that means a thing. If the guy needs to learn about the horn, he can allow the time to run down and see what the horn sounds like.

eagle, could you do us all a favor and just STFU?
BBR, I said game management as a whole.

All I am saying is that not always will it be allowed for the clock to completely run to zero for pregame.

Also I am being civilized in my responses, please do the same.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do the letters FO mean anything to you?
Does hypocrite and bully mean anything to you? You are exhibiting the epitome of "keeping posts civil"

BktBallRef
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted 13-02-2011 07:54 PM Profile for BktBallRef
Edit/Delete Post Yes, from time to time posts or threads are removed for violation of forum policy. Other than spam, only one thread has been deleted within the past few weeks. I removed it earlier today, as it was addressed to me.

Several years ago, the NFHS was ready to close these forums, as members simply couldn't participate in civil discussion. I offered to moderate some of the forums in an effort to keep them open. I do my best to keep the peace. But too many people point fingers and see the faults of others, but necessarily their own. I'm left to clean it up. It's not personal, it's just an effort to keep the boards civil.

I can always be contacted via private message regarding any concerns. Thanks. Posts: 5726 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
BBR, I said game management as a whole.

All I am saying is that not always will it be allowed for the clock to completely run to zero for pregame.
And nobody cares whether you will always be allowed to completely run the clock down to zero for pregame. It has NOTHING to do with the thread.

If the man is going to work the clock, no one is going to stop him from checking it out and seeing how it works. You know it, I know, and everybody here knows it. So please don't bore us with all this other nonsense.

ref2coach, different boards, different standards. Not my rules over there, I just have to enforce them. Rules aren't as strict here. Don't like it? Makes no difference to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 12:41am.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Timekeeper means the same thing as timer. Unless I'm mistaken it's an older term that has previously been used.

Yes the horn ends the period, however I can see the reasoning for asking especially in noisy gyms where it might be hard to heard a short horn blast.
The term is timer. You say you have a rule book so it should be easy to look up. Remember, on this forum, we speak officiating, therefore we use officiating terms.

Also if the timer really is concerned with the horn, he could very easily test out the clock by setting it close to zero and letting the clock run. All he would have to do is note how much time was on the clock before he did this.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And nobody cares whether you will always be allowed to completely run the clock down to zero for pregame. It has NOTHING to do with the thread.

If the man is going to work the clock, no one is going to stop him from checking it out and seeing how it works. You know it, I know, and everybody here knows it. So please don't bore us with all this other nonsense.
A good suggestion then would be to do a dry run before the shootarounds/pregame starts. Set the clock for like 10 secs. & run it down from there & do a quick stop clock as the horn sounds & see what happens.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The term is timer. You say you have a rule book so it should be easy to look up. Remember, on this forum, we speak officiating, therefore we use officiating terms.

Also if the timer really is concerned with the horn, he could very easily test out the clock by setting it close to zero and letting the clock run. All he would have to do is note how much time was on the clock before he did this.
APG, I am meaning in the past the term "timekeeper" was used instead of timer, possibly.

All the rule books I've read do say "Timer", however I was asking for clarification that maybe way back when the term "timekeeper" might of been used.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A good suggestion then would be to do a dry run before the shootarounds/pregame starts. Set the clock for like 10 secs. & run it down from there & do a quick stop clock as the horn sounds & see what happens.
You mean like checking it out and seeing how it works. What a wonderful idea.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
APG, I am meaning in the past the term "timekeeper" was used instead of timer, possibly.

All the rule books I've read do say "Timer", however I was asking for clarification that maybe way back when the term "timekeeper" might of been used.
It doesn't matter. BBR was correctly informing the OP of the correct terminology used today. Whatever was used in the past is irrelevant.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean like checking it out and seeing how it works. What a wonderful idea.
IOW getting there to the game site far enough in advance that if you do not know the controls you can play around with them.

Before the pregame countdown starts, if that is possble.

Like I was saying earlier, letting the clock run down to :00.0 for pregame cannot always be done, as it depends on how game management wants things done.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It doesn't matter. BBR was correctly informing the OP of the correct terminology used today. Whatever was used in the past is irrelevant.
I was not arguing that fact, except that the OP might be used to the older term.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ref2coach, different boards, different standards. Not my rules over there, I just have to enforce them. Rules aren't as strict here. Don't like it? Makes no difference to me.
Ya-but!!