Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Would you access a 'T'?

Ok, follow me closely.
Regional playoff game.
A.D. says our game, second of the nite, will start at 8:10pm. Ask him again, he replies 8:10pm. Even the announcer says the next game will start at 8:10.
At 7:50 the A.D. come gets us, saying there's 8 minutes left on the clock. No time to argue with A. D., just get out on the floor, take a quick head count and go to the score's table & check the book. (We're used to going to the table at the 12 minute mark, giving us time to make corrections to the book if necessary). Well, visitors have a mistake in book which has to be corrected. Would you access a 'T'?

Last edited by timeout; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 12:36am.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Nope, not me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout View Post
Ok, follow me closely.
A.D. says our game, second of the nite, will start at 8:10pm. Ask him again, he replies 8:10pm. Even the announcer says the next game will start at 8:10.
At 7:50 the A.D. come gets us, saying there's 8 minutes left on the clock. No time to argue with A. D., just get out on the floor, take a quick count and go to the score's table & check the book. (We're used to going to the table at the 12 minute mark, giving us time to make corrections to the book if necessary). Well, visitors have a mistake in book which has to be corrected. Would you access a 'T'?
No.

Also, I don't know how to "access" a technical. I do now how to assess one though.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
No.

Also, I don't know how to "access" a technical. I do now how to assess one though.
Beat me to it.

Although I would have said "I do KNOW how to assess one though." As opposed to "I do now how..."

Last edited by NoFussRef; Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 12:45am.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Go ahead and whack the AD with a technical...no technical for the book issue.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 06:41am
Do not give a damn!!

I would certainly be more lenient at that time. But my question is what needed to be changed? Not sure I would nitpick this when you were told one thing and had to adjust.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 07:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ok, follow me closely.
At 7:50 the A.D. come gets us, saying there's 8 minutes left on the clock. No time to argue with A. D., just get out on the floor, take a quick head count and go to the score's table & check the book. (We're used to going to the table at the 12 minute mark, giving us time to make corrections to the book if necessary). Well, visitors have a mistake in book which has to be corrected. Would you access a 'T'?
Unless there were extenuating circumstance, you have no choice but to assess a "T". If the visitors didn't comply with one of the necessary items listed under NFHS rules 10-1-1&2, that's on them.

Whether you were out on the court or not when they screwed up is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that they screwed up. The visitors made the mistake; not the officials. You can't change that fact.

It's got nuthin' to do with being a hardazz either. It's got everything to do with NOT having rules backing to NOT assess a "T".
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Unless there were extenuating circumstance, you have no choice but to assess a "T". If the visitors didn't comply with one of the necessary items listed under NFHS rules 10-1-1&2, that's on them.

Whether you were out on the court or not when they screwed up is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that they screwed up. The visitors made the mistake; not the officials. You can't change that fact.

It's got nuthin' to do with being a hardazz either. It's got everything to do with NOT having rules backing to NOT assess a "T".
By rule you have no choice but to not assess the T.

3-2-1 "At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team shall supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul (see 10-1-1 Penalty)."

The scheduled start time was 8:10 PM. The visiting team has until 8:00 PM to submit its roster. The book was checked 20 minutes before the scheduled start time.

The home team cannot manufacture a T on the visitors by changing the start time in this manner.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post

3-2-1 "At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team shall supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul (see 10-1-1 Penalty)."

The scheduled start time was 8:10 PM. The visiting team has until 8:00 PM to submit its roster. The book was checked 20 minutes before the scheduled start time.

The home team cannot manufacture a T on the visitors by changing the start time in this manner.
Something tells me this is from my state. If this is the case then a regional is not hosted by the home team necessarily. It might be two teams from other schools playing. If that is the case as it would be the case where I live, then this was a situation created beyond the control of the participants, but the host school. I would probably give any team a pass in that case for one the schedule affected everyone. I had a similar situation this year with a tournament that started and hour and a half later and I bent over backwards to make sure the information in the book was correct as they only put 10 minutes on the clock before game time. I understand what the rule is, but I think this is where some common sense has to play a role. Also I am talking more about the time frame than a legitimate mistake where the wrong number was submitted and we discovered much later.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:

That's where the extenuating circumstances come in. If you check and find that both teams came out to warm-up at approximately the same time, were given the customary warm-up period for a regional playoff, the clock was set at an agreed time for the warm-up and there was sufficient time for both the visiting and home scorers to enter the correct info, then there is no reason by rule NOT to assess a "T". The officials actually being on the floor is moot under those circumstances rules-wise.

If they rushed the warm-up period, then of course you can use the extenuating circumstances as a valid reason to not asses a "T".

No matter what, you still have to be able to give valid, logical and rules-based reasons to defend your action.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
That's where the extenuating circumstances come in. If you check and find that both teams came out to warm-up at approximately the same time, were given the customary warm-up period for a regional playoff, the clock was set at an agreed time for the warm-up and there was sufficient time for both the visiting and home scorers to enter the correct info, then there is no reason by rule NOT to assess a "T". The officials actually being on the floor is moot under those circumstances rules-wise.

If they rushed the warm-up period, then of course you can use the extenuating circumstances as a valid reason to not asses a "T".

No matter what, you still have to be able to give valid, logical and rules-based reasons to defend your action.
No, this is not a case of extenuating circumstances. The rule has nothing to due with the time on the clock. The visitors have until 10 minutes before the scheduled start time. In this case the error was discovered 20 minutes before the scheduled start time. By rule, there is no reason to penalize the visiting team.

Just because the time on the clock normally is counting down to the scheduled start time does not mean that it always is.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Ok, follow me closely.
Regional playoff game.
No T from me. The AD has clearly changed the situation to deny the visiting team the proper time frame that they're entitled to.

An analogy would be you driving along the interstate where you see a sign that says "70 MPH". So you speed up to 70. Then, without your knowledge, a state traffic worker replaces the sign with one that says "60 MPH". Now that you're speeding, a cop pulls you over and tickets you. Issuing a ticket makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No, this is not a case of extenuating circumstances. The rule has nothing to due with the time on the clock. The visitors have until 10 minutes before the scheduled start time. In this case the error was discovered 20 minutes before the scheduled start time. By rule, there is no reason to penalize the visiting team.

Just because the time on the clock normally is counting down to the scheduled start time does not mean that it always is.
That might be a local interpretation (which I do not have a problem with) but that is not the case everywhere. Usually what is on the game clock is ultimately what we go by. I know I do not carry a watch on the court to know what is the exact time is before we start any game. And if we do what you suggest than a team would be in violation if a game before went long and no teams submitted the proper information. This is why I think the rules allow for the Referee to make decisions not specifically covered in the rulebook and this is one of them. I agree with you that we probably would not call a T here, just do not agree with the overall logic you are making that conclusion.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That might be a local interpretation (which I do not have a problem with) but that is not the case everywhere. Usually what is on the game clock is ultimately what we go by. I know I do not carry a watch on the court to know what is the exact time is before we start any game. And if we do what you suggest than a team would be in violation if a game before went long and no teams submitted the proper information. This is why I think the rules allow for the Referee to make decisions not specifically covered in the rulebook and this is one of them. I agree with you that we probably would not call a T here, just do not agree with the overall logic you are making that conclusion.

Peace
It's not my logic or my local interpretation. It is the actual rule from the rule book. See, I quoted it above.

Most games that follow another game are scheduled to start a certain number of minutes after the conclusion of the previous game (typically 25 or 30 minutes later here).

But the rule is not based on the time on the clock but the scheduled starting time.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It's not my logic or my local interpretation. It is the actual rule from the rule book. See, I quoted it above.

Most games that follow another game are scheduled to start a certain number of minutes after the conclusion of the previous game (typically 25 or 30 minutes later here).

But the rule is not based on the time on the clock but the scheduled starting time.
And Rut's point is the way most places interpret this rule is slightly different than the way you read it; for the reason he stated. When I'm on the court, I am not looking for a wall clock that has (in my experience) about a 40% chance of being correct. I do not carry my phone with me, so I have no way of verifying the time.

This rule was written with the assumption that the countdown is to the scheduled starting time. The rule doesn't say "originally scheduled time." If that clock is counting down to the start, then that's your clock for this purpose. The schedule has been moved up, period.

That said, I've got no T here. I'm not giving the AD the opportunity to make a bush-league move like this to try to get a cheap T against the visitors.