Go Blue

GV 2 Whistle, ACLU Stepping in

ACLU is concerned with prep officiating cuts | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I thought you all may be interested.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post
Well, that solves that problem. This will be the end of 3-man crews in Michigan.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 09:37am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
When FL was going to cut number of games allowed as a cost saving measure, but exempted football, the threatened lawsuits reversed the decision.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
From that article, "In a prepared statement ACLU attorney Jessie Rossman said, "by treating student-athletes differently based on gender, the Downriver League is sending a troubling message to our young people that girls are inferior and are therefore less valuable."

Shouldn't the ACLU be working on the evening news to give as much air time to the D-1 women's game as they do the men's game, for the same rationale quoted above?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Figures

I'd hate to have common sense get in the way of politically correct! Geez
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 10:00am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
From that article, "In a prepared statement ACLU attorney Jessie Rossman said, "by treating student-athletes differently based on gender, the Downriver League is sending a troubling message to our young people that girls are inferior and are therefore less valuable."

Shouldn't the ACLU be working on the evening news to give as much air time to the D-1 women's game as they do the men's game, for the same rationale quoted above?
Methinks the ACLU focuses on the battles that they can win.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post

If they were rational, they would admit there is a deference between boys' and girl's basketball and acknowledging that difference is in no way, shape or form a statement of any kind on the quality or value of girls.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I knew this would eventually start happening in areas that use 2 for girls but 3 for boys. It's the same reason schools that have double headers are starting to rotate the order of the games. The same reason Michigan had to end their tradition of fall ball for girls. Had Iowa not ended their 6 player game 18 years ago, they would have likely seen a lawsuit eventually as well.

I understand you don't always need 3 officials on a GV game (even though it will always provide the best coverage), but that isn't always the overriding concern in our society.

I will say the savings estimated seems about right; $500 per season per varsity team.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:00am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
i knew this would eventually start happening in areas that use 2 for girls but 3 for boys. It's the same reason schools that have double headers are starting to rotate the order of the games. The same reason michigan had to end their tradition of fall ball for girls. Had iowa not ended their 6 player game 18 years ago, they would have likely seen a lawsuit eventually as well.

I understand you don't always need 3 officials on a gv game (even though it will always provide the best coverage), but that isn't always the overriding concern in our society.

I will say the savings estimated seems about right; $500 per season per varsity team.
shhh!!!!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
If they were rational, they would admit there is a deference between boys' and girl's basketball and acknowledging that difference is in no way, shape or form a statement of any kind on the quality or value of girls.
There's even a difference.

But good luck if this goes to court being able to prove in legal or civil terms how those differences equate to only needing 2 officials for girls but 3 for boys.

Eliminating 1 official from girls varsity to save $500-700/school per year is probably not the brightest decision. How could those in charge not anticipate that this would create litigation? All those savings and more will now be going to lawyers.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

But good luck if this goes to court being able to prove in legal or civil terms how those differences equate to only needing 2 officials for girls but 3 for boys.

Eliminating 1 official from girls varsity to save $500-700/school per year is probably not the brightest decision. How could those in charge not anticipate that this would create litigation? All those savings and more will now be going to lawyers.
Which is why the schools will back down before it goes anywhere.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

It's quite possible that it was known (even obvious?) to the PTB that this would create "an issue" and therefore, they'd relent and also revert VB to 2 officials, saving even more money.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I will say that this is the only league that has considered this (to my knowledge) in Michigan. At least it hasn't been brought to any of the associations with which I am a part of. I sincerely hope this isn't where baskeball is going here in Michigan...the cost savings is so minuscule compared to the benefits. However, the bottom line is getting to be a political thing as opposed to a practical thing. It's more about grandstanding as opposed to actual solutions.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
But then what would they do with the WNBA?

NBA Draws about 17,0000 plus per game.

WNBA draws 7,800 ( which shocks me that it's that high) ( I bet they give a lot of tickets away free)

There IS a difference.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
But then what would they do with the WNBA?

NBA Draws about 17,0000 plus per game.

WNBA draws 7,800 ( which shocks me that it's that high) ( I bet they give a lot of tickets away free)

There IS a difference.
My guess is they will sue all Americans in an attempt to require us to attend more women's basketball games but will actual end up with a legal cap on men's basketball attendance equal to the the attendance at the last women's game. (It's as logical as most of their arguments.)

The ACLU doesn't care that there's a difference. They think it's possible to make women men and vice versa if only they can find the right person to sue.