The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   GV 2 Whistle, ACLU Stepping in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62502-gv-2-whistle-aclu-stepping.html)

Treeguy Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:05am

GV 2 Whistle, ACLU Stepping in

ACLU is concerned with prep officiating cuts | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I thought you all may be interested.

Eastshire Tue Feb 15, 2011 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treeguy (Post 730200)

Well, that solves that problem. This will be the end of 3-man crews in Michigan.

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 15, 2011 09:37am

When FL was going to cut number of games allowed as a cost saving measure, but exempted football, the threatened lawsuits reversed the decision.

Butterfly182310 Tue Feb 15, 2011 09:56am

From that article, "In a prepared statement ACLU attorney Jessie Rossman said, "by treating student-athletes differently based on gender, the Downriver League is sending a troubling message to our young people that girls are inferior and are therefore less valuable."

Shouldn't the ACLU be working on the evening news to give as much air time to the D-1 women's game as they do the men's game, for the same rationale quoted above?

Refsmitty Tue Feb 15, 2011 09:58am

Figures

I'd hate to have common sense get in the way of politically correct! Geez:rolleyes:

JugglingReferee Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 (Post 730233)
From that article, "In a prepared statement ACLU attorney Jessie Rossman said, "by treating student-athletes differently based on gender, the Downriver League is sending a troubling message to our young people that girls are inferior and are therefore less valuable."

Shouldn't the ACLU be working on the evening news to give as much air time to the D-1 women's game as they do the men's game, for the same rationale quoted above?

Methinks the ACLU focuses on the battles that they can win.

Eastshire Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 (Post 730233)

If they were rational, they would admit there is a deference between boys' and girl's basketball and acknowledging that difference is in no way, shape or form a statement of any kind on the quality or value of girls.

Adam Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29am

I knew this would eventually start happening in areas that use 2 for girls but 3 for boys. It's the same reason schools that have double headers are starting to rotate the order of the games. The same reason Michigan had to end their tradition of fall ball for girls. Had Iowa not ended their 6 player game 18 years ago, they would have likely seen a lawsuit eventually as well.

I understand you don't always need 3 officials on a GV game (even though it will always provide the best coverage), but that isn't always the overriding concern in our society.

I will say the savings estimated seems about right; $500 per season per varsity team.

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaqwells (Post 730244)
i knew this would eventually start happening in areas that use 2 for girls but 3 for boys. It's the same reason schools that have double headers are starting to rotate the order of the games. The same reason michigan had to end their tradition of fall ball for girls. Had iowa not ended their 6 player game 18 years ago, they would have likely seen a lawsuit eventually as well.

I understand you don't always need 3 officials on a gv game (even though it will always provide the best coverage), but that isn't always the overriding concern in our society.

I will say the savings estimated seems about right; $500 per season per varsity team.

shhh!!!!

Raymond Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 730240)
If they were rational, they would admit there is a deference between boys' and girl's basketball and acknowledging that difference is in no way, shape or form a statement of any kind on the quality or value of girls.

There's even a difference. ;)

But good luck if this goes to court being able to prove in legal or civil terms how those differences equate to only needing 2 officials for girls but 3 for boys.

Eliminating 1 official from girls varsity to save $500-700/school per year is probably not the brightest decision. How could those in charge not anticipate that this would create litigation? All those savings and more will now be going to lawyers.

Adam Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 730258)

But good luck if this goes to court being able to prove in legal or civil terms how those differences equate to only needing 2 officials for girls but 3 for boys.

Eliminating 1 official from girls varsity to save $500-700/school per year is probably not the brightest decision. How could those in charge not anticipate that this would create litigation? All those savings and more will now be going to lawyers.

Which is why the schools will back down before it goes anywhere.

JugglingReferee Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 730258)

It's quite possible that it was known (even obvious?) to the PTB that this would create "an issue" and therefore, they'd relent and also revert VB to 2 officials, saving even more money.

bigdog5142 Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35am

I will say that this is the only league that has considered this (to my knowledge) in Michigan. At least it hasn't been brought to any of the associations with which I am a part of. I sincerely hope this isn't where baskeball is going here in Michigan...the cost savings is so minuscule compared to the benefits. However, the bottom line is getting to be a political thing as opposed to a practical thing. It's more about grandstanding as opposed to actual solutions.

Terrapins Fan Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 730240)

But then what would they do with the WNBA?

NBA Draws about 17,0000 plus per game.

WNBA draws 7,800 ( which shocks me that it's that high) ( I bet they give a lot of tickets away free)

There IS a difference.

Eastshire Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 730263)
But then what would they do with the WNBA?

NBA Draws about 17,0000 plus per game.

WNBA draws 7,800 ( which shocks me that it's that high) ( I bet they give a lot of tickets away free)

There IS a difference.

My guess is they will sue all Americans in an attempt to require us to attend more women's basketball games but will actual end up with a legal cap on men's basketball attendance equal to the the attendance at the last women's game. (It's as logical as most of their arguments.)

The ACLU doesn't care that there's a difference. They think it's possible to make women men and vice versa if only they can find the right person to sue.