The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

FTs with no time on clock

End of the 4th quarter, score is tied & player was fouled. Officials put player on the line for a two-shot foul with no time on the clock.

They clear the FT lane. Player makes first FT and celebration begins.

By rule, do you have to shoot the second FT? And can the lane be occupied of opposing team wants to stand there?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So Many Questions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
End of the 4th quarter, score is tied & player was fouled. Officials put player on the line for a two-shot foul with no time on the clock. They clear the FT lane. Player makes first FT and celebration begins. By rule, do you have to shoot the second FT? And can the lane be occupied of opposing team wants to stand there?
Did the horn ending the fourth period sound?

If yes: No players are allowed on the lane lines because the ball will become dead after the last free throw. Also, no need to take the second free throw. The game is over.

If no: (After checking that the automatic horn is indeed on) Players are allowed on the lane lines, since the ball will become alive after the last free throw. In fact, two defensive players must be on the two lower marked lane spaces. The second shot must be taken, because the game isn't over until the horn ending the fourth period sounds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I have seen situations where the outcome is certainly decided and a foul was committed with horn sounded and a player allowed to shoot FTS.

Another question: what would you say to the other team's coach about this situation when they ask how can you shoot FTs with no time on the clock and he requests to put time back on the clock?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Thanks. I have seen situations where the outcome is certainly decided and a foul was committed with horn sounded and a player allowed to shoot FTS.

Another question: what would you say to the other team's coach about this situation when they ask how can you shoot FTs with no time on the clock and he requests to put time back on the clock?
"The foul occurred before the horn or at the horn"

"No."
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
End of the 4th quarter, score is tied & player was fouled. Officials put player on the line for a two-shot foul with no time on the clock.

They clear the FT lane. Player makes first FT and celebration begins.

By rule, do you have to shoot the second FT? And can the lane be occupied of opposing team wants to stand there?
The only way to shoot the 2nd shot is if before leaving the visual confines of the playing area, that same team is issued a technical foul.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then the officials were wrong.

Quote:
Rule 5-6-2 Excp 3.

(This is another of those "other official don't believe me, so I post it here for them to read" scenarios, right?)
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Why Bob? Why?

And I never said other officials. People in general.

What did I ever do to you?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why Bob? Why?

And I never said other officials. People in general.

What did I ever do to you?
I don't think bob meant any malice by his comment.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 01:57pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

He often comments on my posts and I don't understand why. I have been a frequent visitor to this forum since 2005 and have NEVER posted anything negative towards anyone.

I have found these boards to be a great tool for learning. Better than most association meetings/clinics. I have pointed several coaches and basketball fans in general here to follow and learn.

I post situations I see seeking advice or clarification on a situation or rule. What is the purpose of this forum if not that.

Thanks to all who contribute and make this a great place to learn.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen." (Harry Truman)

Quote:
He often comments on my posts and I don't understand why.
Don't worry about it. The "heat" you get from bob jenkins, or a few other esteemed members, is nothing compared to the "heat" you get from players, coaches, and fans, during a "heated" game. Maybe these esteemed members are just trying to toughen you up. Please keep on posting.

One thing that I can say about bob jenkins is, "Always listen to bob". You can take that to the bank.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks BillyMac. I listen and learn from all of them. I have matured into a varsity-level official getting state playoff games and owe a lot of that to the information learned on this board.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thanks BillyMac. I listen and learn from all of them. I have matured into a varsity-level official getting state playoff games and owe a lot of that to the information learned on this board.
Bob is merely expressing his hope that as a varsity official getting playoff games you would already know the answer to these very basic questions.
Personally I wonder why your friends don't believe you yet will believe the consensus of a group of strangers on the internet.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Bob is merely expressing his hope that as a varsity official getting playoff games you would already know the answer to these very basic questions.
Personally I wonder why your friends don't believe you yet will believe the consensus of a group of strangers on the internet.
+1

A state tournament official should have credibility with his fellow officials.

Personally the thing that bothers me is that Johnny never posts an applciable rules or case citation. As in "I read rule 1-2-3 and I think it applies but I'm not sure".
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

BadNewsRef: Thanks for sharing what bothers you. I will work on that in the future. I did not know that was a pre-requisite of posting a situation.

I never said anything about not having credibility with fellow officials. Simply stated that these boards are used by non-officials as well - coaches and fans.

I really don't want to be an enemy, pest or a bothersome on this board. Thanks again to all.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
BadNewsRef: Thanks for sharing what bothers you. I will work on that in the future. I did not know that was a pre-requisite of posting a situation.

I never said anything about not having credibility with fellow officials. Simply stated that these boards are used by non-officials as well - coaches and fans.

I really don't want to be an enemy, pest or a bothersome on this board. Thanks again to all.
You're not an enemy. It's just like Bob said in a previous post this week (and I said in a thread a long time ago) that you have been around here for quite a while and yet you ask some pretty basic questions. I know you have to know the answers to some of these questions you ask. It comes across as disingenuous.

If you have all these people around you who don't know the rules and don't trust your interpretations of the rules they aren't going to be any more believing b/c some anonymous folks on the internet said so. They would benefit more from some instruction on how to read a rule book, IMO.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Feb 13, 2011 at 06:46pm.