The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Coach not knowing the rule.

Girl JV game. Home inbounding ball, teammate A catches throw-in while in the air and goes into BC. Visiting coach wanted BC violation. Next possession, I explain the rule to him. Coach says, "your wrong". Okay. Wish I hadn't forgot my rule book, I would have shown it to him after the game. Would anybody take their rule book and show it to coach during halftime?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

No other problems with coach during the game though.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I would not show a coach a rulebook at half time, after the game, before the game, or over coffee the next day.

I would not show him in the box, I would not show him with the fox. I would not show him here or there, I would not show him anywhere.

No upside, plenty of downside.

I am always kind of bemused at some officials need to not only be right, but to make sure someone else doesn't think they are wrong. Who cares if he thinks you are wrong?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't actively seek out a coach and show him a rule in the book.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:40pm
This IS My Social Life

Negatory, Good Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
Would anybody take their rule book and show it to coach during halftime?
No.

Besides, it's up to girls' JV coaches not to know rules like that. It's their responsibility. That's why they're girls' JV coaches. Or boys' JV coaches, for that matter.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:49pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
No.

Besides, it's up to girls' JV coaches not to know rules like that. It's their responsibility. That's why they're girls' JV coaches. Or boys' JV coaches, for that matter.
Funny you mention that. I had a girls JV coach insist to me tonight that a defender must be set to take a charge.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

You mean I ve been wrong all this time I thought they had to be set too...

But in all reality I heard my partner in a GV game tell a coach that the reason he called a block was that his player was moving backwards... Unbelievable..

From a NBA official I know... Assume the play is legal and then make the defense prove why it wasnt.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Funny you mention that. I had a girls JV coach insist to me tonight that a defender must be set to take a charge.
Plenty of varsity coaches (and ALL the fans) will back him up on this one.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I made this mistake once...

I was working my first ever V wrestling meet and had to call flagrant misconduct (DQ with a big penalty) on a wrestler. The coach was disputing the deduction of team points at the table saying, "I want to see that in the book". My response was along the lines of... "I'll be happy to show you in the locker room after the meet is over, but we're not stopping the meet for something as basic as this".

After the dual, I spent 45 minutes in the locker room with him pointing to rules. Then spent another 30 minutes on the phone at home later that day repeating myself.

NEVER AGAIN.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Nope.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 12:38am
Do not give a damn!!

I have done this before, but would not make a habit of it. It was a coach I knew very well and bet him a soda before after my crew had a blarge. I still have not gotten my soda.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Girl JV game. Home inbounding ball, teammate A catches throw-in while in the air and goes into BC. Visiting coach wanted BC violation. Next possession, I explain the rule to him. Coach [probably] says, "you're wrong". Okay. Wish I hadn't forgot my rule book, I would have shown it to him after the game. Would anybody take their rule book and show it to coach during halftime?
Never bring out a rulebook at halftime. If coach does, get away from him. If he persists, take care of business.

If the guy is that adamant about a kicked call, use the proper channels. Let him ask the local referee's board for a ruling, or he joins an officiating forum to ask a question.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I have emailed the rules / cases to coaches the day after the game. But, it depends on the coach and your relationship with him/her.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would anybody take their rule book and show it to coach during halftime?
I have done this in 6th grade and younger rec leagues when the coach is truly interested in knowing the rules (which is rare). At the MS or higher, I wouldn't recommend doing this ... after all, how would you feel if the coach brought you the rule book at half time and showed you how you (or your crew) kicked a call?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 01:09pm
Back from the DL

Some years back, in my second season, I had a coach question the penalty for a second D.O.G. warning.

The opposing team had two plane violations. Since this is a team technical foul, it doesn't affect their coaching box. This coach said he lost his coaching box for the same thing earlier in the season. He wanted to see the rule, so he cordially agreed to meet my partner and me after the game to check the book.

It took a bit for us to find it (though I could pratically turn to the page now), but it was a productive meeting. The more knowledgable the coaches are, the easier our jobs will be.