The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Need help

A situation was brought up to me by a colleage of mine. A1 is on the free throw line for an and one. The lead tells the players "2 shots". Obviously it should have been one shot. B1 rebounds and kinda just stands there with the ball in his hands and everyone else just standing there as well.

Trail blows his whistle and says it should have been one shot. They got together and ruled an inenvertant whistle and gave the ball to B at the baseline.

My question is What should have been done after the shot was taken and then the mistake was realized. I know that there was major lack of communication between the officials but did they handle the blunder correct? My gut is saying they did. What say you?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say, given the circumstances once the whistle was blown, they handled it correctly.

What I've done in that situation is to try my best to verbally communicate to the players that the ball is live and to play ball.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I'd say, given the circumstances once the whistle was blown, they handled it correctly.

What I've done in that situation is to try my best to verbally communicate to the players that the ball is live and to play ball.
interesting... good point.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

The officials were incorrect in awarding the ball based on an accidental whistle.

If everyone reacts as if the official said, 1!" and goes for the rebound, then you give the ball to the team that rebounded it.

If only one person reacts, as in your play, you go to the AP arrow, as the officials mistake has placed one team at a disadvantage.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
A situation was brought up to me by a colleage of mine. A1 is on the free throw line for an and one. The lead tells the players "2 shots". Obviously it should have been one shot. B1 rebounds and kinda just stands there with the ball in his hands and everyone else just standing there as well.

Trail blows his whistle and says it should have been one shot. They got together and ruled an inenvertant whistle and gave the ball to B at the baseline.

My question is What should have been done after the shot was taken and then the mistake was realized. I know that there was major lack of communication between the officials but did they handle the blunder correct? My gut is saying they did. What say you?
Johnsonboy,
Case Play 8.6.1 describes your play. Happy reading.....
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The officials were incorrect in awarding the ball based on an accidental whistle.

If everyone reacts as if the official said, 1!" and goes for the rebound, then you give the ball to the team that rebounded it.

If only one person reacts, as in your play, you go to the AP arrow, as the officials mistake has placed one team at a disadvantage.
ok that is kinda where my mind was going with that. It seemed to be a mistake that caused a clear confusion and advantage.
can you give me a case play or rule number for that? I would love to show it to my buddy
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah, after I reread the OP and see that the official clearly erred in saying 2 shots, it really is dubious at that point.

That's why it's always good to have partners to back you up and not let you administer the FT with a screw up.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Johnsonboy,
thank you!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Johnsonboy,
THat play has multiple players attempting to rebound. In my friends situation only one attempted the rebound
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
THat play has multiple players attempting to rebound. In my friends situation only one attempted the rebound
You might want to read it again.

Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You might want to read it again.
"The missed shot is rebounded by B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound"
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Did you think to read (a) or (b) or did you decide to just read (c)?

8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point.

RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue.

(a) is identical to your play.

Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you think to read (a) or (b) or did you decide to just read (c)?

8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point.

RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue.

(a) is identical to your play.
thank you for that. My book is rules by topic with some case play... apparently not all of it! Thanks so much!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

2 or 3 whistle game?

The C &/or the T can kill the administration before the FT is shot by blowing their whistle & have the L re-administer.