The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

I arrived late to a game this year because I misread my schedule and had the wrong start time. I was more embarrassed than I've ever been in my life. I tried to insist that I not be paid but the AD wouldn't hear of it.

If you are late for any reason within or outside of your control, you have not earned any money for the game. To even suggest otherwise demonstrates a shocking sense of entitlement. Despite this, some schools are generous and will pay you any way. Any pay in this situation is a gift you should be grateful for, not a slight.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
World class athletes are in better shape than anyone, and they still pull hamstrings. Just sayin...Stretching before during, and after won't prevent 100% of injuries.
I don't think we're talking about world class athletes here. Haven't seen many of them in stripes. Far too many of us are 'athletes' bordering on the other end of that spectrum.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
JRut,

In our local Catholic league, we have had a rule that states that a SINGLE OFFICIAL gets 1.5 times the pay of a two person crew. The reasons for this rule are to prevent officials from simply "splitting up" and making the entire fee AND an acknowledgment that ONE OFFICIAL is NOT as good as TWO OFFICIALS.
So are they going to be happy with 75% of the calls that two officials would have made or are they going to pi$$ and moan the same way they would with 2 officials. The acknowledgment that one official is not as good as two officials is "DUH" - so lets penalize the guy that did show because he can't be as good as 2 officials even though he has to take the crap of two officials.

Makes no sense!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think a solo official should be paid *anything* more by the school. And if they are, that money should come from the other official who didn't show up (in the form of a fine paid by the official or from the association).
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I kind of like not having to worry about being in that position. It won't happen to us Rich - but some places it's common practice to have only one official and I think that they deserve something extra if they have to work a game alone, watch everything and deal with all the yutz's in the crowd and on the bench alone.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think a solo official should be paid *anything* more by the school. And if they are, that money should come from the other official who didn't show up (in the form of a fine paid by the official or from the association).
IDK Rich. If I take care of business by confirming with my partner(s) & I go solo anyway, I'm gonna need a game & a half fee.

The school still saves money & we are compensated for our extra work.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
IDK Rich. If I take care of business by confirming with my partner(s) & I go solo anyway, I'm gonna need a game & a half fee.

I don't work solo unless i'm getting paid double. That is my HS association's policy. The school is not expected to pay the full fee. That's where the fine for the missing official comes in.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post

I'm looking at it from the school's perspective. I'm getting one, I pay for one. If I use an association, I'm expecting them to pay the extra money. If I'm contracting officials myself, then I can negotiate with the official if I *really* want to have the game played with one official.

If there's no association involved and no policy spelled out on the contract, I'm certainly not obligated to pay double.

That said, I don't have to worry about this. We don't start with 1 official and if I show up on time I'm getting paid whether we play the game or not.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:34am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
I don't think we're talking about world class athletes here. Haven't seen many of them in stripes. Far too many of us are 'athletes' bordering on the other end of that spectrum.
My point exactly. I don't claim to be a great athlete, I'd consider myself lucky to be healthy through two seasons.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:02am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What does where you live have to do with this?
That is a much overused argument that he uses when he has no other logical points to back up his argument.

To his credit, he has not busted that one out in a looonnnggg time. But - here it is again.

And it has nothing to do with the OP.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That is a much overused argument that he uses when he has no other logical points to back up his argument.

To his credit, he has not busted that one out in a looonnnggg time. But - here it is again.

And it has nothing to do with the OP.
The person and the game is in the same area I do. Yes it does matter. People from 3 states over have no idea what is expected here.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

To answer your question...

Yes you should be upset. You should be upset with yourself for being late for an avoidable reason (not leaving early enough) and for even assuming that you were wronged in all of this.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Turning in a slightly different direction ...

Didn't want to confuse by starting another thread on somewhat similar topic.

How would you handle this 'non-working' scenario:

You're scheduled for two games and the visiting team in the second game doesn't show for at least 45 minutes, when you have to leave. What was originally supposed to be a triple-header was knocked down to a double-header months ago because one team pulled out of the middle game. The change went through the Arbiter and everyone knows about it, except the V team, apparently.

This is MS-age travel ball, by the way. I hang as long as I can but the have to leave to work HS ball. My partner said he would stay and work it, alone if necessary, when the other team arrived.

Who should get paid what?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Didn't want to confuse by starting another thread on somewhat similar topic.

How would you handle this 'non-working' scenario:

You're scheduled for two games and the visiting team in the second game doesn't show for at least 45 minutes, when you have to leave. What was originally supposed to be a triple-header was knocked down to a double-header months ago because one team pulled out of the middle game. The change went through the Arbiter and everyone knows about it, except the V team, apparently.

This is MS-age travel ball, by the way. I hang as long as I can but the have to leave to work HS ball. My partner said he would stay and work it, alone if necessary, when the other team arrived.

Who should get paid what?
I'm a little confused by your scenario. You're saying the second game was correct on Arbiter but the visitors didn't show? In that case, yes, I would hope to be paid. I held up my end of the deal. I wouldn't, however, force the issue.

The only time I've ever forced the issue on being paid was when a game got canceled at 10:00 AM (due to a bomb threat) and the AD didn't call me until 3:15 PM and left a message on my answering machine (I'd left for the game at 3:00). I got my money but never received another game at that school (not that I wanted one).
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The person and the game is in the same area I do. Yes it does matter. People from 3 states over have no idea what is expected here.

Peace
The question was whether the OP'er should be upset that he did not get paid for something that he did not do...

Makes no difference where you are from. The answer is no.