The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Thumbs down

4 minutes to go, close game. NCAA game - Chattanoga vs. Elon.

Elon comes down gets absolutly whacked, no call. Chattanoga goes the other way, call a foul. The place goes nuts. I'm sitting front row on the Elon front court. The C on our side, and calls a travel, which was another questonable one. The place is going even more nuts now. Next time back down to our side, the fans are really giving it to him. I'm quiet in the front row. He turns around, WHILE THE PLAY IS GOING ON, and starts yelling at the crowd. I start in, "NOW I KNOW WHERE YOUR MIND IS, FOCUS ON THE COURT". Next whistle he goes to the table and someone comes over and takes me out of the building.

A Division 1 Ref. Who was pulled through the game by his partners (lots of extra switching due to his incompetence, they are having to call stuff in his areas all game, etc.) During time outs they were constantly talking to him about something. And the ref was older.

This is why people despise officials at times. Sorry, but had to vent. A Division 1 game and this guy can't keep his eyes on the court. I'm sure some of the HS guys on the board would love the opportunity this guy has, and would do a far better job. I'm sure there is someone like this in every district.

I'm a ref, so normally I sypathize, but a 3 man NCAA game and he's not even watching the play. I couldn't keep my mouth shut when I saw that.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Could somebody please bring some extra popcorn?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TussAgee11
1) Next whistle he goes to the table and someone comes over and takes me out of the building.

2) I'm a ref, so normally I sypathize, but a 3 man NCAA game and he's not even watching the play. I couldn't keep my mouth shut when I saw that.
1) Looks good on ya, fanboy.

2) Naw, you're not a ref. If you were a ref, you woulda kept your damn mouth shut. Refs that have any integrity at all don't sit in the stands publically crapping on their brethren.

Somehow, I really don't think that you're gonna find too much sympathy here. I'm also completely sure that we're not getting the whole story from you. You don't get tossed out of a college game just for making a few comments to an official. If that was the case, there'd be thousands of fans gone each game. Nope, you did something else- you went way over the line- and you paid for it.

Why don't you check out the Elon fanboy site. You and the other fanboys there can discuss amongst yourself how the mean old officials screwed your team. You don't belong here, that's for sure. This site is for officials.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Could somebody please bring some extra popcorn?
I'm on it. Junker can bring the beer.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

No, I am a ref

And not once did I say ANYTHING about his judgement calls. May have disagreed, but I watched the game mainly to see the officials work in the 3 man system (something I'm not used to). I am a ref, and pretty sure I wouldn't throw any fan out, I would just ignore them and do my job. I am telling the whole story. Maybe I was a martyr to get everyone else to shut up, I don't know. I just hate it that this official decided to get caught up in the stands and the coaches instead of worrying about calling the game. That gets to me, in hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have said anything. But the guy was screaming at the crowd to shut up. With a back to a play. Inexcusable. Do it during a timeout if you want to deal with it.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to troll, but another point

If you don't believe this is the story, fine. But lets say it was. I just want to know if this warrents ejection of a fan, or if officials should be concerned about fan behavior while the play is going on.

That was the point of this thread, not to get into an arguement about my comment, which in hindsight, made that ref look bad. But I just got outraged when he turned around during while a player was driving the lane.

So as officials, do you all worry about this sort of thing? Is my viewpoint, in this situation, off base?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't it a bit early for the trolls to be out? It's only mid-February.

BTW, do we need to buy an additional stamp if we're hunting troll in TX this year? Wouldn't want to get fined if somebody caught me 'cuz I shot my hunting buddy.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:52pm
In Memoriam

Re: Sorry to troll, but another point

Quote:
If you don't believe this is the story, fine. But lets say it was. I just want to know if this warrents ejection of a fan, or if officials should be concerned about fan behavior while the play is going on.

That was the point of this thread, not to get into an arguement about my comment, which in hindsight, made that ref look bad. But I just got outraged when he turned around during while a player was driving the lane.

So as officials, do you all worry about this sort of thing? Is my viewpoint, in this situation, off base?
TussAgee11,
If you would have ended your story with
  • "Next time back down to our side, the fans are really giving it to him. I'm quiet in the front row. He turns around, WHILE THE PLAY IS GOING ON, and starts yelling at the crowd. I start in thought to myself, 'NOW I KNOW WHERE YOUR MIND IS, FOCUS ON THE COURT.'",

it would have been a much better story with a much happier ending.
    mick
    Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 09:56pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

BTW, do we need to buy an additional stamp if we're hunting troll in TX this year? Wouldn't want to get fined if somebody caught me 'cuz I shot my hunting buddy.
    YU.P.
    Instead of yelling, "Quail!", they shoulda yelled, "DUCK!!"
    Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:03pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:

YU.P.
    "Quail" or "Quayle"?
    Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:07pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
    Quote:
    Quote:

YU.P.
    "Quail" or "Quayle"?
    Quail, the verb form
    Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:08pm
    Official Forum Member

Wonder what Len Reynolds is going to say when he hears that you were ejected from a game at Elon?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
    Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:32pm
    Official Forum Member

Quail? Maybe Cheney shot at TussAgee11 for him to go off...
    Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:37pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Sorry to troll, but another point

Quote:
    Quote:

TussAgee11,
    If you would have ended your story with
  • "Next time back down to our side, the fans are really giving it to him. I'm quiet in the front row. He turns around, WHILE THE PLAY IS GOING ON, and starts yelling at the crowd. I start in thought to myself, 'NOW I KNOW WHERE YOUR MIND IS, FOCUS ON THE COURT.'",

it would have been a much better story with a much happier ending.
    mick
  • I agree. While he may have been wrong to address you, you were also wrong with what you yelled. Especially if you are an official. You MUST have self-control when watching.

To answer your question, no I would not eject for that.
    Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:40pm
    Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless I knew he was an official, making his "knowledge" known among his neighbors, and inciting the fans with his "authority."
    But then again, I'm sure this had been the first thing he said all night. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go finalize the sale of my beach front property just outside of Phoenix.