The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Well, nine times out of ten injuries are out of our control.

A traffic jam situation could be out of our control, ie an accident on a roadway that radio station traffic reports don't cover.

The school or district was going to pay you the money anyway, you get injured during the first half, and can't finish the game. Not their fault, not yours. Why should they withhold the money, other than to save a few bucks?
As someone that actually lives here, there are a lot of schools that would not do anything different but pay you your whole fee if you worked the entire game, especially if you called and told them you were stuck in traffic. That happens a lot here especially on those early games. Unless the contract says something different, they should pay you the entire fee. That being said saying something is not going to get much of anywhere. But I know many that have paid when you show up in this very situation.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The school or district was going to pay you the money anyway, you get injured during the first half, and can't finish the game. Not their fault, not yours. Why should they withhold the money, other than to save a few bucks?
Just don't get it, do you?

Let's say you took your car to get the tires rotated/balanced. Because his air wrench jammed, he was only able to do 3 of the 4 tires. Are you going to pay him for balancing all 4 tires? I don't think so.

Tell ya what, why don't you call the AD tomorrow and raise hell about that one half you didn't get paid for because you didn't work it? Then, the AD will know that he hired 1) an official who can't depend on to be on time AND 2) who thinks he deserves to be paid for a job he didn't do. Yep, go ahead and burn that bridge. You don't want to go back there, right?

I swear, some of you young guys have got some strange ideas about what you're "owed."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As someone that actually lives here, there are a lot of schools that would not do anything different but pay you your whole fee if you worked the entire game, especially if you called and told them you were stuck in traffic. That happens a lot here especially on those early games. Unless the contract says something different, they should pay you the entire fee. That being said saying something is not going to get much of anywhere. But I know many that have paid when you show up in this very situation.

Peace
JRut,
If the school is willing to pay the money, taking the money is fine. Ultimately, the contract states that we are to be at a particular place at a particular time to perform a particular duty. While calling ahead is nice, it still does not free one of the responsibility of being at the game on time.

The schools budgeted for TWO OFFICIALS for FOUR QUARTERS. They got ONE OFFICIAL for TWO QUARTERS and TWO OFFICIALS for TWO QUARTERS. Did the schools get what they contracted for? Should the schools be required to pay for EIGHT "OFFICIAL'S QUARTERS" when they only got SIX?

In our local Catholic league, we have had a rule that states that a SINGLE OFFICIAL gets 1.5 times the pay of a two person crew. The reasons for this rule are to prevent officials from simply "splitting up" and making the entire fee AND an acknowledgment that ONE OFFICIAL is NOT as good as TWO OFFICIALS.

These situations can and DO happen. At the same time, the responsibility for arriving ON TIME rests on the OFFICIALS' shoulders. Taking a 50% pay cut for that game was MORE than reasonable, in my opinion. While going after the money might seem like a good idea in the short term, getting some "bad press" from the AD at this school as he talks to MANY OTHERS is a losing proposition for you.

I would write an apology letter to the school that outlines why you were late. I would be sure to THANK the AD for 50% of the first game fee. This technique will get you MUCH FURTHER in your career than the extra $20 would EVER buy you...in my humble opinion.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:10am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Just don't get it, do you?

Let's say you took your car to get the tires rotated/balanced. Because his air wrench jammed, he was only able to do 3 of the 4 tires. Are you going to pay him for balancing all 4 tires? I don't think so.

Tell ya what, why don't you call the AD tomorrow and raise hell about that one half you didn't get paid for because you didn't work it? Then, the AD will know that he hired 1) an official who can't depend on to be on time AND 2) who thinks he deserves to be paid for a job he didn't do. Yep, go ahead and burn that bridge. You don't want to go back there, right?

I swear, some of you young guys have got some strange ideas about what you're "owed."
Why don't you try reading my posts, and then you might see that I was just sparking more conversation. Asking questions, looking for answers and opinions. I asked advice on what to do, and many have given their opinion.

Before attacking us young guys just because we're young, try reading first.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why don't you try reading my posts, and then you might see that I was just sparking more conversation. Asking questions, looking for answers and opinions. I asked advice on what to do, and many have given their opinion.

Before attacking us young guys just because we're young, try reading first.
Read the whole thread and the same questions have been answered over and over again. You're just looking for someone to agree with you. One idiot does. What more do you want?

Don't want repleis, don't ask for them.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Read the whole thread and the same questions have been answered over and over again. You're just looking for someone to agree with you. One idiot does. What more do you want?

Don't want repleis, don't ask for them.
I'm not looking for anyone to agree with me. Jeff is clearly in the minority with his opinion, and he's not even on "my side", he's somewhere between the two. I wouldn't call him an idiot either.

I get the analogies that are made. I'm not disputing anything. Post #26, by me, says "All this is fair". All I'm doing, is asking more questions...that's usually how good conversation works.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:33am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
All I'm doing, is asking more questions...that's usually how good conversation works.
No it's not...it is someone fishing for a scenario where they can be affirmed. That's not good conversation. That's boring.

You did not work that half. You do not deserve the money for that half. Give it up.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
No it's not...it is someone fishing for a scenario where they can be affirmed. That's not good conversation. That's boring.

You did not work that half. You do not deserve the money for that half. Give it up.
That's fine...I'm not persisting...Geez people...I get it. Throwing out hypotheticals is what I'm doing. If I really wanted to argue with you all, I'd be doing the Yeah But thing...but I'm not.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

First of all, not many people if any that commented on this post live here but me. That being said it is not as cut and dry as many think it is as it is up to each school to decide what they will do. Some will be fine and pay the entire fee, others will not. But unlike many here we can work where we want and when we want. I never have to take a game anywhere. So if I do not like their policy, I can work where ever I like. Just like there are some schools that will give the entire check if no one shows and other schools that will pay only part of the check. What you have to decide is what you are willing to do for that money. And nowhere in any contract is it explicit what should be done in these cases, which is why there is nothing wrong with asking what should be done. I am not surprised by the actions of this school, but it is not consistent with everyone. We are independent contractors, not slaves to what groups want.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

I'd say that you're lucky to be paid for the first game at all.

While a traffic jam might be out of your control, you can plan to leave early enough that you largely eliminate the probability of being materially impacted by it enough to matter.

I always target arriving at a gym 1 hour before game time. I plan for extra traffic on distant games (adding 10-20 minutes over what google says) such that if goes well, I might get there even 75 or more minutes before. If it is a new school in an unfamiliar area, I even add more time. I can drive very quickly, but planning shortcutting a trip time during rush hour to an unfamiliar area is just not a good idea.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:42am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
First of all, not many people if any that commented on this post live here but me.

What does where you live have to do with this?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What does where you live have to do with this?
It has a lot to do with this. There are different policies for different places. As a matter of fact every school has a different view on what their officials are supposed in this state. Some might have a policy because the assignor is making some of these decisions, other it is an individual school district policy. This is no different than what would be the case if we talked about what to say to an assignor about a situation. All assignors do not have the same policies how to be notified of things or how they handle conflicts between coaches and officials or what is done in this situation. So it is good to know what others do, but not necessarily helpful in what is ultimately what should be done here. This is really the case when people say what should happen when they have no idea what schools around here do normally. I know officials in this very situation have paid the official the entire check. Now whether Stiffler is upset is another issue. And how he wants is up to him and the people that gave him the game. Personally I would probably let it go. But that is because it is not advantageous in the end to make a big deal out of it. But I have had a similar thing happen to me; only get all the money in almost every case. Some schools are just happy anyone made it as this might happen more than we want to admit because of who was scheduling the games. So yes, it does matter where this took place, not what everyone else here has to deal with in their area. Again, we are independent contractors for real in this state. We are ultimately responsible for how we run this business we call officiating.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:12am
We don't rent pigs

Where the OP happened is irrelevant, and where you live in relation to the OP matters even less, if that's possible. If stiffler, as an independent contractor, thinks he should be paid for work which was not performed, let's just say that is contrary to the norm in anything. No doubt some schools would give out the whole amount anyway, maybe even add a "Sorry you had a problem."
But if they choose not to do so, he has no possible complaint.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Where the OP happened is irrelevant, and where you live in relation to the OP matters even less, if that's possible. If stiffler, as an independent contractor, thinks he should be paid for work which was not performed, let's just say that is contrary to the norm in anything. No doubt some schools would give out the whole amount anyway, maybe even add a "Sorry you had a problem."
But if they choose not to do so, he has no possible complaint.
Anyone can complain about anything they want to. I know I complained when I was "helping out" I did not like what took place with me. And there was no policy to say what should be done across the board. And when the situation reversed, I did not accommodate them at all when they made a mistake. It works both ways.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 02:29am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Anyone can complain about anything they want to. I know I complained when I was "helping out" I did not like what took place with me. And there was no policy to say what should be done across the board. And when the situation reversed, I did not accommodate them at all when they made a mistake. It works both ways.

Peace
That explains why where you live was important. Thanks.

Lonesome Dove