The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The question was whether the OP'er should be upset that he did not get paid for something that he did not do...

Makes no difference where you are from. The answer is no.
Yep, a different but related question would be, "Is this what I should have expected?"
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The question was whether the OP'er should be upset that he did not get paid for something that he did not do...

Makes no difference where you are from. The answer is no.
I was not only responding to what the OP'er was saying. And his level of being upset over this is up to him, not people that have different areas that have different or specific policies. Here it is expected to have "traffic" problems and many times depending on the nature of the situation it is not considered a big deal.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm a little confused by your scenario. You're saying the second game was correct on Arbiter but the visitors didn't show? In that case, yes, I would hope to be paid. I held up my end of the deal. I wouldn't, however, force the issue.

The only time I've ever forced the issue on being paid was when a game got canceled at 10:00 AM (due to a bomb threat) and the AD didn't call me until 3:15 PM and left a message on my answering machine (I'd left for the game at 3:00). I got my money but never received another game at that school (not that I wanted one).
Sorry about that. Yes, the second game was correct on Arbiter, except the visiting team didn't notice it had been moved up an hour, apparently.

I don't plan to push much (rather just report to the assigner and see where the chips fall), but I was wondering what others would do. Thanks
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Due to the nature of my commute, I often drive upwards of 70 miles to a game; sometimes through the rush hour of two separate metropolitan areas combined with what has to be one of the busiest rural interstate stretches in the country.
The worst I have ever done is show with just enough time to change clothes and hit the court; and that was due to a car accident blocking traffic near the Air Force Academy. Had it not been for the frosh game taking a bit long, I would have truly been late (I walked into the building at 5:30 for a scheduled 5:30 game).
The worst part was, as I walked into the locker room, the local board president was in the middle of getting dressed to fill in for me (he was there for the varsity game after my game). It was not my shining moment.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah 25 is no joke, particularly South. I leave 2 hours early when I have to go that route.

BL is generally a page turner... did he give you a pass?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yeah 25 is no joke, particularly South. I leave 2 hours early when I have to go that route.

BL is generally a page turner... did he give you a pass?
Not much was said, really. Ever.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Due to the nature of my commute, I often drive upwards of 70 miles to a game; sometimes through the rush hour of two separate metropolitan areas combined with what has to be one of the busiest rural interstate stretches in the country.
The worst I have ever done is show with just enough time to change clothes and hit the court; and that was due to a car accident blocking traffic near the Air Force Academy. Had it not been for the frosh game taking a bit long, I would have truly been late (I walked into the building at 5:30 for a scheduled 5:30 game).
The worst part was, as I walked into the locker room, the local board president was in the middle of getting dressed to fill in for me (he was there for the varsity game after my game). It was not my shining moment.
There are some in my area that would want to pull your games for being this late. Or say that if the another officials is dressed to work, then they will finish the game.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Are you kidding? I would have told the AD, on site, to not pay me for the first game AT ALL.

It's not the AD's problem you ran into traffic or whatever. You *weren't* there. Why should you get full pay?

If you worked 3 of the 4 halves, that's 75% of a DH, right?
Sounds fair to me...........
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There are some in my area that would want to pull your games for being this late. Or say that if the another officials is dressed to work, then they will finish the game.

Peace
Worked with a guy this season that showed up 20 minutes before tip-off. State evaluator just happened to be observing & sat in on our pregame

My partner & I changed from greys to stripes as the official from the prior game only had stripes. Our 3rd strolls in & the evaluator says, "you're off this game!" 3rd says, "you're not the assignor, I'm working!" So we changed back to greys. I dont expect he will go too far in the tourney...
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 04:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

By Contract, 150% Game Fee For One Official In Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think a solo official should be paid anything*more by the school.
It's to keep athletic directors from requesting, as a cost cutting measure, that only one official be assigned to the game. They figure that it's not worth the 25% savings to have only one official. If they only had to pay only one game fee to one official they might request only one official for middle school, and freshman games, maybe even some junior varsity games,.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 04:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's to keep athletic directors from requesting, as a cost cutting measure, that only one official be assigned to the game. They figure that it's not worth the 25% savings to have only one official. If they only had to pay only one game fee to one official they might request only one official for middle school, and freshman games, maybe even some junior varsity games,.
When an official is assigned and doesn't show up it's not the AD's fault. If there's an association that assigns, it's not the AD's fault.

Easy way to fix this. State association requires a game can't start with 1 official (like my state did).
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 04:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs down I cannot read the whole thing

Don't be a "Yabut". I have filled in for guys because I got there early. Don't expect anything for doing that. I care more about helping the association saving face. I have also stayed as a JV official and filled in when a varsity official got ill and couldn't fill in for the second half. The AD asked about the checks and I said I would do it for the experience. You were late and the AD probably would have preferred to have his gym teacher fill in for BOTH games and pay you NOTHING. You have been told this numerous times. You are NOT sparking conversation, you are not accepting what has been told to you. You were LUCKY to get paid ANYTHING for the first game.

The other guy I would be apologizing profusely to right about now is your assignor. I imagine he is not too thrilled about these developments.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 04:58pm
Esteemed Participant

Our Association has a policy regarding no-shows and late-shows...not only are you not paid, you are fined whatever the amount is that you would have been paid.

So not showing up for an assigned frosh game, you lose the $29 game fee, and you are fined an additional $29 by the Board (emergencies, accidents, etc are not fined). You show up at halftime of that frosh game, you are docked the$14.50 and fined an additional $14.50. The $14.50 you are docked goes to your partner who worked the first half alone.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our Association has a policy regarding no-shows and late-shows...not only are you not paid, you are fined whatever the amount is that you would have been paid.

So not showing up for an assigned frosh game, you lose the $29 game fee, and you are fined an additional $29 by the Board (emergencies, accidents, etc are not fined). You show up at halftime of that frosh game, you are docked the$14.50 and fined an additional $14.50. The $14.50 you are docked goes to your partner who worked the first half alone.
Nice policy! You guys need a raise though
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 05:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Nice policy! You guys need a raise though
I believe that is the three-person rate. Two-person is higher.