The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:21pm
I miss being on the floor

Should I be upset?

I recently had a doubleheader at a school that I'd never been to, in an area I'm not at all familiar with.

The first game was supposed to start at 5:30. My directions said it would take me close to 45 minutes to get there. With my lead foot, I can usually knock off five minutes from the directions.

Regardless, I left at 4:00 to give myself an hour. Anyways, it took me just short of two hours to get there because of traffic.

I got there at halftime of the first game, and finished the game and the second game. I just got the check, and they paid me what must be 75% of a doubleheader game fee.

I would understand it if I had plum forgotten about when the game was supposed to start, but I thought I had given myself plenty of time to get there. When I saw the AD after the game, he made no mention of the reduction in pay.

Is this SOP, or should I go after my missing 20 bucks?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I recently had a doubleheader at a school that I'd never been to, in an area I'm not at all familiar with.

The first game was supposed to start at 5:30. My directions said it would take me close to 45 minutes to get there. With my lead foot, I can usually knock off five minutes from the directions.

Regardless, I left at 4:00 to give myself an hour. Anyways, it took me just short of two hours to get there because of traffic.

I got there at halftime of the first game, and finished the game and the second game. I just got the check, and they paid me what must be 75% of a doubleheader game fee.

I would understand it if I had plum forgotten about when the game was supposed to start, but I thought I had given myself plenty of time to get there. When I saw the AD after the game, he made no mention of the reduction in pay.

Are you kidding? I would have told the AD, on site, to not pay me for the first game AT ALL.

It's not the AD's problem you ran into traffic or whatever. You *weren't* there. Why should you get full pay?

If you worked 3 of the 4 halves, that's 75% of a DH, right?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So you worked 75% of a double header and got paid 75% of what your fee would have been? Did your partner get the other 25%, or did someone fill in for a half?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Forget the money, would you pay a plumber for two hours work if they only worked for 1.5 ? (Sorry Freddy)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would be upset. They should be happy they get anyone to work and if that happens to them, which it does, they certainly have not made them a friend. And certainly when they do not pay the other guy's check I really would be mad. The question that I have is did they give your partner your money? If that is the case I could live with it, but they want to skimp on every other money when we do more. I do not like them taking money away.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would be upset. They should be happy they get anyone to work and if that happens to them, which it does, they certainly have not made them a friend. And certainly when they do not pay the other guy's check I really would be mad. The question that I have is did they give your partner your money? If that is the case I could live with it, but they want to skimp on every other money when we do more. I do not like them taking money away.

Peace
The game started at 5:30PM and he arrived at 6PM. You think he deserves full pay? He didn't live up to his contract, did he?

OTOH, I filled in for a quarter at a school when a JV official pulled a hammy and they didn't give me an extra penny. I didn't expect it either, but it would've been a nice surprise.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:31pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
That I don't know. The guy who worked the second half of the first game with me was supposed to be the sophomore official, and bolted after the game and I had a different parnter for the second game. I don't even remember the guy's name.

I'm not go into the school with stomping feet and demanding my money...just wondering what everyone thinks.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Forget the money, would you pay a plumber for two hours work if they only worked for 1.5 ? (Sorry Freddy)
Actually, it depends on what increments Freddy uses for billing.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not go into the school with stomping feet and demanding my money...just wondering what everyone thinks.
Early = on time
On time = late
Late = unacceptable (I know, sh!t happens...)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The game started at 5:30PM and he arrived at 6PM. You think he deserves full pay? He didn't live up to his contract, did he?
Most of these places would not even offer to give money to the official that worked alone in the same situation. So yes, I would be a little upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
OTOH, I filled in for a quarter at a school when a JV official pulled a hammy and they didn't give me an extra penny. I didn't expect it either, but it would've been a nice surprise.
I was a varsity official at a site and showed up for a prelim game early and I was asked to help out a few years ago. I ran to the locker room and got ready in which I came in about 3 minutes into the second half. When I got the check about a week later, I was paid a prorated amount for working a quarter and a half. I was ticked and called and complained. Not because I worked a quarter and a half, but because I did not have to do it. I could have said no and worried about working the varsity game. I will never do that again as if I am going to help, you could have paid me more than what they did to show some appreciation. Just pay the guys especially when someone shows up. Let the officials split up the money or do something for them.

I had a similar issue this year and I took the guys I was with out to dinner. Not everyone showing up is deliberate. Heck if you are going to be that worried about it, have the damn check ready when we play the game and not send it later.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I would have been ashamed to have taken anything for the first game. IMHO you didn't earn anything that game since you put the game/other official in a bind by not being there. There is no way the game could have flowed as smoothly with one official as it would with two so I would consider that game fee lost.

When you saw you were running late, you didn't call the school or better yet, your partner? I always take my partner's number and the school's and/or GA's number in case something happens on the way.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Wed Feb 09, 2011 at 06:50pm.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:50pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Early = on time
On time = late
Late = unacceptable (I know, sh!t happens...)
you mean LOMBARDI TIME
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:52pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
I would have been ashamed to have taken anything for the first game. IMHO you didn't earn anything that game since you put the game/other official in a bind by not being there. There is no way the game could have flowed as smoothly with one official as it would with two so I would consider that game fee lost.

When you saw you were running late, you didn't call the school or better yet, your partner? I always take my partner's number and the school's and/or GA's number in case something happens on the way.
Our Assoc. if you miss the tip off you are fined an amount equal to the game fee..considered a NO SHOW!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 06:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Whether we are speaking quantity or quality, half a game is no game at all. I'm with Rich, you don't owe me anything for the first game. Anything I've got coming, give it to my partner, the one left holding the bag.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Here, it would be up to the school if they want to pay you or not. Either way, you would be fined by the state.

I see no reason for them to pay you for a half you didn't work. You were late, make all the excuses you want, it's still you're fault.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith