The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Travel ?

Link: YouTube - Larriques Cunningham 2-handed dunkface over defender

Question - player catches ball lands on right foot, jumps lands on left then right. Travel? OR would you consider the left / right landing at the same time as in a jump stop.

Not asking if you would call it in this setting, only using the play to discuss the travel.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
Link: YouTube - Larriques Cunningham 2-handed dunkface over defender

Question - player catches ball lands on right foot, jumps lands on left then right. Travel? OR would you consider the left / right landing at the same time as in a jump stop.

Not asking if you would call it in this setting, only using the play to discuss the travel.
White 23 catches the ball with his left foot on the ground just inside the 3 point lines, and the right foot in the air, behind the body, in the "space" beyond the 3-point lines. He then steps with the right foot (legal) and lifts (legal) and returns (illegal) the left foot to the ground.

So, yes, this is traveling.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I had him catching the ball in the air then landing on right foot. My sequence went: Right then left / right.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
To be this kind of jump stop, the player must land on both feet simultaneously. You might give some >verysmall< allowance, but nothing approaching a 1-2 count. So, as described, travel. (I didn't watch the video)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 08:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
To be this kind of jump stop, the player must land on both feet simultaneously. You might give some >verysmall< allowance, but nothing approaching a 1-2 count. So, as described, travel. (I didn't watch the video)
This "very small" allowance is what we learned at provincial camp as well.

OP: I looked at the video again based on your assertion and I did see the action you are talking about. As Bob said, the right foot needs to come down _much_ earlier than it did.

In fact, with the right foot he did the little "extend-a-step" when he was about to put it down to the floor, but then extended it further towards the key.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

you could call a travel or an offensive foul if you wanted to...I think the trafvel is the better call on this play.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Thre is not on offensive foul on this play...I think he actually jumps over the defender...this is a men's college game...they are not going to call that travel.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

there IS contact on a defender that has LGP, but since this is one of the two best plays in basketball (dunk & blocked shot), I'm giving him a little extra leeway on the charge....IF i have a whistle it would be for traveling....
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

That's not an offensive foul at the college level. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to call that in a high school game. To me, the contact did not raise to the level of a foul. Besides the travel, it was a kid being put on a poster.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That's not an offensive foul at the college level. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to call that in a high school game. To me, the contact did not raise to the level of a foul. Besides the travel, it was a kid being put on a poster.
Totally agree...if you watch closely the defender actually chest up to the offensive player...he didn't not "play through" the defensive player.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:50am

Quote:
Agreed. It didn't even enter my mind to go with a PC.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Quote:
I agree. Many times (myself included) when we know that there is going to be a "big finish" by a kid getting his feet aligned for a dunk, we are a little more "passive" to call a travel in this situation. I know I am. Especially at the collegiate level when that kind of a travel is overlooked constantly. Just watch the games today and look for yourself.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
I agree. Many times (myself included) when we know that there is going to be a "big finish" by a kid getting his feet aligned for a dunk, we are a little more "passive" to call a travel in this situation. I know I am. Especially at the collegiate level when that kind of a travel is overlooked constantly. Just watch the games today and look for yourself.
Pretty play = ignore the violation

Personally, I don't like it, but it happens all the time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just trying not to jump and cheer on this play. No PC foul on htis either. If there was enough contact to call that, the player would have never made it to the rim.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
I'm just trying not to jump and cheer on this play. No PC foul on htis either. If there was enough contact to call that, the player would have never made it to the rim.
That is about the best way I could put it.

Wasilla Ak? Believe it or not, their HS Boys team used to come down here to Texas for our Holiday Tournaments years ago!