The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travel ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62083-travel.html)

gslefeb Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:05am

Travel ?

Link: YouTube - Larriques Cunningham 2-handed dunkface over defender

Question - player catches ball lands on right foot, jumps lands on left then right. Travel? OR would you consider the left / right landing at the same time as in a jump stop.

Not asking if you would call it in this setting, only using the play to discuss the travel.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gslefeb (Post 728045)
Link: YouTube - Larriques Cunningham 2-handed dunkface over defender

Question - player catches ball lands on right foot, jumps lands on left then right. Travel? OR would you consider the left / right landing at the same time as in a jump stop.

Not asking if you would call it in this setting, only using the play to discuss the travel.

White 23 catches the ball with his left foot on the ground just inside the 3 point lines, and the right foot in the air, behind the body, in the "space" beyond the 3-point lines. He then steps with the right foot (legal) and lifts (legal) and returns (illegal) the left foot to the ground.

So, yes, this is traveling.

gslefeb Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:25am

I had him catching the ball in the air then landing on right foot. My sequence went: Right then left / right.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gslefeb (Post 728045)

To be this kind of jump stop, the player must land on both feet simultaneously. You might give some >verysmall< allowance, but nothing approaching a 1-2 count. So, as described, travel. (I didn't watch the video)

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 09, 2011 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 728056)
To be this kind of jump stop, the player must land on both feet simultaneously. You might give some >verysmall< allowance, but nothing approaching a 1-2 count. So, as described, travel. (I didn't watch the video)

This "very small" allowance is what we learned at provincial camp as well.

OP: I looked at the video again based on your assertion and I did see the action you are talking about. As Bob said, the right foot needs to come down _much_ earlier than it did.

In fact, with the right foot he did the little "extend-a-step" when he was about to put it down to the floor, but then extended it further towards the key.

jeffpea Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33am

you could call a travel or an offensive foul if you wanted to...I think the trafvel is the better call on this play.

GoodwillRef Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04am

Thre is not on offensive foul on this play...I think he actually jumps over the defender...this is a men's college game...they are not going to call that travel.

jeffpea Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:09am

there IS contact on a defender that has LGP, but since this is one of the two best plays in basketball (dunk & blocked shot), I'm giving him a little extra leeway on the charge....IF i have a whistle it would be for traveling....

APG Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12am

That's not an offensive foul at the college level. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to call that in a high school game. To me, the contact did not raise to the level of a foul. Besides the travel, it was a kid being put on a poster.

GoodwillRef Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 728904)
That's not an offensive foul at the college level. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to call that in a high school game. To me, the contact did not raise to the level of a foul. Besides the travel, it was a kid being put on a poster.

Totally agree...if you watch closely the defender actually chest up to the offensive player...he didn't not "play through" the defensive player.

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:50am

Quote:

Agreed. It didn't even enter my mind to go with a PC.

Jeremy Hohn Sat Feb 12, 2011 01:36pm

Quote:

I agree. Many times (myself included) when we know that there is going to be a "big finish" by a kid getting his feet aligned for a dunk, we are a little more "passive" to call a travel in this situation. I know I am. Especially at the collegiate level when that kind of a travel is overlooked constantly. Just watch the games today and look for yourself.

just another ref Sat Feb 12, 2011 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn (Post 729313)
I agree. Many times (myself included) when we know that there is going to be a "big finish" by a kid getting his feet aligned for a dunk, we are a little more "passive" to call a travel in this situation. I know I am. Especially at the collegiate level when that kind of a travel is overlooked constantly. Just watch the games today and look for yourself.

Pretty play = ignore the violation

Personally, I don't like it, but it happens all the time.

AKOFL Sat Feb 12, 2011 01:44pm

I'm just trying not to jump and cheer on this play. No PC foul on htis either. If there was enough contact to call that, the player would have never made it to the rim.

Jeremy Hohn Sat Feb 12, 2011 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 729322)
I'm just trying not to jump and cheer on this play. No PC foul on htis either. If there was enough contact to call that, the player would have never made it to the rim.

That is about the best way I could put it.

Wasilla Ak? Believe it or not, their HS Boys team used to come down here to Texas for our Holiday Tournaments years ago!