The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Head coach... or not...

Last weekend I had a G JV/V doubleheader at a school where I had never worked. Both partners had worked there before, but I hadn't and didn't know the coaches. Before the JV game, the Varsity head coach (as it turns out) walks across the floor to shake hands with us. We hadn't done captains yet, so I asked him if he was head coach for this game too, or just the next. He said, almost insulted, no... it's her. Pointed at his assistant. She attended the meeting. Great.
3 minutes into the game, I look over and he's on the bench next to her yelling for a time out. I look at both of them. Okay, fine, time out.
Checked with partners. Didn't he tell us he wasn't the head coach? Yep.
So after the time out, I asked him/stated, "I'm confused. Which one of you is the head coach and which is the assistant? Because before the game, you said you weren't. I don't care, I just need to know which one of you to ignore." (I did say it with a smile.)
COACH: It's me.
ME: Great. Thanks coach.

Have you had a coach try to do this? Have you handled it differently? Would you?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post
Have you had a coach try to do this? Have you handled it differently? Would you?
Absolutely! Only difference, we got clarification ONCE & it was prior to the game.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I like how you did it. We had a head coach who was pregnant last year, and she wanted her asst to be able to stand. He was the HC that game.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:05pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
And don't let them play the 'co-coach' card. Had one game a few years back when the two coaches claimed they were that. I asked which one would be the HC, since only one would be able to act in that capacity. HC eventually got a T and was told he would now have to remain seated. You guessed it. The other guy asked, "Can I stand?" [No].
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:19pm
Back from the DL

Had something in that realm this year.

Coach introduces himself to me during the pre-game chat, so I peg him as the head coach. (Of course, he's an A.C.)

During the game, the guy next to him -- the HC -- requests a time out. (Neither stand during the game.) I ignore; my veteran partner grants. During the time out, I ask my partner about the granting, and my partner informs me who the head coach is.

"So," I ask, "Why did only the assistant come to pre-game?"

My partner shrugs off the question. I guess it only matters when one official is informed.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Had it happen to me in a youth game. 2 adults on the bench,both ranting and raving. One was an official that I know. I approached and inquired as to which one was the HC today. The other replied that he was. I informed the other (the official) that he may keep it quiet now. He has never spoken to me again and he is in the same officials assc. as myself.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
He has never spoken to me again and he is in the same officials assc. as myself.
Talk about petty.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had it happen to me in a youth game. 2 adults on the bench,both ranting and raving. One was an official that I know. I approached and inquired as to which one was the HC today. The other replied that he was. I informed the other (the official) that he may keep it quiet now. He has never spoken to me again and he is in the same officials assc. as myself.

you guys have never been assigned to work with each other since?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 04:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Was the HC female?