The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Head coach... or not... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61628-head-coach-not.html)

DesMoines Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:51pm

Head coach... or not...

Last weekend I had a G JV/V doubleheader at a school where I had never worked. Both partners had worked there before, but I hadn't and didn't know the coaches. Before the JV game, the Varsity head coach (as it turns out) walks across the floor to shake hands with us. We hadn't done captains yet, so I asked him if he was head coach for this game too, or just the next. He said, almost insulted, no... it's her. Pointed at his assistant. She attended the meeting. Great.
3 minutes into the game, I look over and he's on the bench next to her yelling for a time out. I look at both of them. Okay, fine, time out.
Checked with partners. Didn't he tell us he wasn't the head coach? Yep.
So after the time out, I asked him/stated, "I'm confused. Which one of you is the head coach and which is the assistant? Because before the game, you said you weren't. I don't care, I just need to know which one of you to ignore." (I did say it with a smile.)
COACH: It's me.
ME: Great. Thanks coach.

Have you had a coach try to do this? Have you handled it differently? Would you?

tref Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesMoines (Post 725196)
Have you had a coach try to do this? Have you handled it differently? Would you?

Absolutely! Only difference, we got clarification ONCE & it was prior to the game.

Adam Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55pm

I like how you did it. We had a head coach who was pregnant last year, and she wanted her asst to be able to stand. He was the HC that game.

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 02, 2011 01:05pm

And don't let them play the 'co-coach' card. Had one game a few years back when the two coaches claimed they were that. I asked which one would be the HC, since only one would be able to act in that capacity. HC eventually got a T and was told he would now have to remain seated. You guessed it. The other guy asked, "Can I stand?" [No].

bainsey Wed Feb 02, 2011 01:19pm

Had something in that realm this year.

Coach introduces himself to me during the pre-game chat, so I peg him as the head coach. (Of course, he's an A.C.)

During the game, the guy next to him -- the HC -- requests a time out. (Neither stand during the game.) I ignore; my veteran partner grants. During the time out, I ask my partner about the granting, and my partner informs me who the head coach is.

"So," I ask, "Why did only the assistant come to pre-game?"

My partner shrugs off the question. I guess it only matters when one official is informed.

River Ref Wed Feb 02, 2011 04:31pm

Had it happen to me in a youth game. 2 adults on the bench,both ranting and raving. One was an official that I know. I approached and inquired as to which one was the HC today. The other replied that he was. I informed the other (the official) that he may keep it quiet now. He has never spoken to me again and he is in the same officials assc. as myself.

Adam Wed Feb 02, 2011 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Ref (Post 725326)
He has never spoken to me again and he is in the same officials assc. as myself.

Talk about petty.

stir22 Wed Feb 02, 2011 04:42pm

Quote:

Had it happen to me in a youth game. 2 adults on the bench,both ranting and raving. One was an official that I know. I approached and inquired as to which one was the HC today. The other replied that he was. I informed the other (the official) that he may keep it quiet now. He has never spoken to me again and he is in the same officials assc. as myself.

you guys have never been assigned to work with each other since?

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 02, 2011 04:42pm

Quote:

Was the HC female?:D