The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Baseline Violation Kentucky-Ole Miss Game

Thoughts on this

Early in 2nd half, Ole Miss scores and Kentucky player goes to make throw in along the baseline. Trail official along baseline with visible count, Kentucky player inadvertently steps into court without releasing the ball. He then steps back OB to make throw in. Pause and then C official from maybe 30' away up court, tweets, and points to violation and Ole Miss is awarded ball

First of all it was the correct call, however I would be very leery of making that call from that far way since it is difficult to be sure if the player stepped across the line or just on the line.

Secondly, what was the trail official thinking. Was he going to let that go thinking it had no bearing on the play. And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

If that is the case, two wrongs do not make a right. They C should not be making this call and maybe the Trail just thought he was not on the court. It is a judgment thing and you probably had the benefit of replay unlike the official on the game. I would not go as far to say that the official does not belong at that level for this. I know I have missed this on occasion partly because I was caught by surprise. Maybe that is what happened.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Obstruction ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Baseline Violation
In baseball, when a fielder illegally hinders a baserunner, the fielder is guilty of obstruction
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In baseball, when a fielder illegally hinders a baserunner, the fielder is guilty of obstruction
Sorry I guess I should have asked Joe West instead of this forum
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to swerv17
Quote:
Thoughts on this

Early in 2nd half, Ole Miss scores and Kentucky player goes to make throw in along the baseline. Trail official along baseline with visible count, Kentucky player inadvertently steps into court without releasing the ball. He then steps back OB to make throw in. Pause and then C official from maybe 30' away up court, tweets, and points to violation and Ole Miss is awarded ball

First of all it was the correct call, however I would be very leery of making that call from that far way since it is difficult to be sure if the player stepped across the line or just on the line.

Secondly, what was the trail official thinking. Was he going to let that go thinking it had no bearing on the play. And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.
I was watching this game and saw it happen in real speed. The C official did come in hard and point at the endline to help sell the call. Maybe the T just didn't see it. The officials got the call right, which it what they are supposed to do.

Keep learning and geting better. Give back what you have learned and experienced to someone else. We'll all be better officials for it.

"Rules competency breeds calmness and confidence in chaos."-Vince Iandoli

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 01:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.
Here you go again. Must be getting close to March. I'm sure the guy who missed the call was working his very first D1 game tonight. His test was an SEC conference game on ESPN.

I'm pretty sure 2 of the officials on this game have officiated Final Fours. Didn't recognize the other official.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 08:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm guessing the C came and got it because of the recent memo following the KS game where this call was missed. Would I have poached this call? Not in a million years, but I haven't earned the ability to do so, either.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 03:40pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm guessing the C came and got it because of the recent memo following the KS game where this call was missed.
Ding! Ding! Ding! No more calls. We have a winner.