The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Baseline Violation Kentucky-Ole Miss Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61581-baseline-violation-kentucky-ole-miss-game.html)

LeeBallanfant Tue Feb 01, 2011 08:44pm

Baseline Violation Kentucky-Ole Miss Game

Thoughts on this

Early in 2nd half, Ole Miss scores and Kentucky player goes to make throw in along the baseline. Trail official along baseline with visible count, Kentucky player inadvertently steps into court without releasing the ball. He then steps back OB to make throw in. Pause and then C official from maybe 30' away up court, tweets, and points to violation and Ole Miss is awarded ball

First of all it was the correct call, however I would be very leery of making that call from that far way since it is difficult to be sure if the player stepped across the line or just on the line.

Secondly, what was the trail official thinking. Was he going to let that go thinking it had no bearing on the play. And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.

JRutledge Tue Feb 01, 2011 08:50pm

If that is the case, two wrongs do not make a right. They C should not be making this call and maybe the Trail just thought he was not on the court. It is a judgment thing and you probably had the benefit of replay unlike the official on the game. I would not go as far to say that the official does not belong at that level for this. I know I have missed this on occasion partly because I was caught by surprise. Maybe that is what happened.

Peace

BillyMac Tue Feb 01, 2011 08:56pm

Obstruction ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant (Post 724924)
Baseline Violation

In baseball, when a fielder illegally hinders a baserunner, the fielder is guilty of obstruction

LeeBallanfant Tue Feb 01, 2011 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 724929)
In baseball, when a fielder illegally hinders a baserunner, the fielder is guilty of obstruction

Sorry I guess I should have asked Joe West instead of this forum

swerv17 Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:10am

Quote:

Thoughts on this

Early in 2nd half, Ole Miss scores and Kentucky player goes to make throw in along the baseline. Trail official along baseline with visible count, Kentucky player inadvertently steps into court without releasing the ball. He then steps back OB to make throw in. Pause and then C official from maybe 30' away up court, tweets, and points to violation and Ole Miss is awarded ball

First of all it was the correct call, however I would be very leery of making that call from that far way since it is difficult to be sure if the player stepped across the line or just on the line.

Secondly, what was the trail official thinking. Was he going to let that go thinking it had no bearing on the play. And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.

I was watching this game and saw it happen in real speed. The C official did come in hard and point at the endline to help sell the call. Maybe the T just didn't see it. The officials got the call right, which it what they are supposed to do.

Raymond Wed Feb 02, 2011 01:03am

Quote:

... And if he simply missed that, he should not be working at that level.

Here you go again. Must be getting close to March. I'm sure the guy who missed the call was working his very first D1 game tonight. His test was an SEC conference game on ESPN. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure 2 of the officials on this game have officiated Final Fours. Didn't recognize the other official.

Adam Wed Feb 02, 2011 08:17am

I'm guessing the C came and got it because of the recent memo following the KS game where this call was missed. Would I have poached this call? Not in a million years, but I haven't earned the ability to do so, either.

Scrapper1 Wed Feb 02, 2011 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 725083)
I'm guessing the C came and got it because of the recent memo following the KS game where this call was missed.

Ding! Ding! Ding! No more calls. We have a winner.