The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Deaf School Situation

Well had the game and a weird situation. As I check the books before tip off I notice on the visiting teams book that they have 2 names without numbers. I ask and they inform me that they are managers. So I instruct them to be taken off/scratched out as they are not players and simply managers. Well at halftime of the game the visiting team's coach catches our crew as we are walking out. He says he is going to add a player and asks about when the technical will be issued. We tell him and proceed over to opposite table at halfcourt. We go over get the okay from the books, they have added the "player" and I explain the situation to the deaf coach. As we are getting ready for the tech shots the coach realizes who is being added and doesn't like it. I see her reaction and realize that something is not right. I go over and ask the coach what player he added and why. He says "I need depth so the player I added is our manager". The manager who's name was probably in the book and one of the ones scratched out to start the game. He had given his manager #21's jersey who was an injured player and who was listed in the book as # 21. I said we are not allowing it and we proceed to start the half without the technicals as we would normally. Anybody have anything similar before?

The whole problem was his explanation at first he just said add a player, then it was a manager, and the scorebook individual said it was a cheerleader in her opinion. All in all this coach didn't know basketball as he asked how many timeouts he gets and if his players could call timeouts on the court. He even designated 2 players to call the timeouts and told me who they were. It was a interesting night to say the least.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
. He had given his manager #21's jersey who was an injured player and who was listed in the book as # 21. I said we are not allowing it and we proceed to start the half without the technicals as we would normally.
Why? Who are you to say who can and can't play?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Don't ever try and dictate who can and can't play. Being a manager doesn't make them ineligible, though they need to have a uniform with a number. Whether they are a manager or not should have no bearing on this situation. Properly equipped and entered, according to rule 3, is really the only prerequisite.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Don't ever try and dictate who can and can't play. Being a manager doesn't make them ineligible, though they need to have a uniform with a number. Whether they are a manager or not should have no bearing on this situation. Properly equipped and entered, according to rule 3, is really the only prerequisite.
One, I based it on 21 already being in the book. Two, what if she wasn't a manager? Be he said she was. She could be a 20 year old college student who is playing for Duke for all I know. If she was in uniform it is one thing. But street clothes, heck no she's not coming in my game
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One, I based it on 21 already being in the book. Two, what if she wasn't a manager? Be he said she was. She could be a 20 year old college student who is playing for Duke for all I know. If she was in uniform it is one thing. But street clothes, heck no she's not coming in my game
That's crap. For all you know, one of the starters could be a 20 year old Duke student.

The bottom line is you have no authority to prevent the name from being added to the book and from using the jersey of an injured player is no longer avaialble to play. If the coach tells you he wants to add a name and change a jersey number in the book, you charge the technical foul and do it.

You have no rule backing for what you did. You were wrong.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 12:48am.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can't dictate who plays or not. If that player happened to be a college player, then the opposing team would have an easy grounds for appeal and possible forfeiture by the other team. Again this would be a league issue and not an officiating issue.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That's crap. For all you know, one of the starters could be a 20 year old Duke student.

The bottom line is you have no authority to prevent the name from being added to the book and from using the jersey of an injured player is no longer avaialble to play. If the coach tells you he wants to add a name and change a jersey number in the book, you charge the technical foul and do it.

You have no rule backing for what you did. You were wrong.
4-33-4. She's not coming in unless she is in uniform in my game.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She wasn't wearing a uniform? I thought she got #21's?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As someone else said, you have no idea about the other players either.

BTW, it is not your game - it is a game that is to be played by the rules and your only job is to ensure the game is played according to those rules. For the most part, you have no authority beyond what is set out in the rule book. You position does not allow you to determine who can and can't play beyond what is described in the rules that you are there to enforce.

Sorry but you blew this one IMHO. I don't like the coach doing this but how I feel about it isn't what matters -- it is whether it breaks the rules or not. I can not think of any rule that would be broken based on what you say occurred.

if the coach knows the rules, you may get a call from your assigner about this one.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 12:35am.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
She wasn't wearing a uniform? I thought she got #21's?
She wanted too. The girl wasnt even on the bench and was in street clothes. According to 4-33-4, "A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player"

Why yes a manager is bench personnel, but she was not a team member by this rule. Unless I am misreading, which I could be. And is it legal for her to grab someone's jersey who is already listed in the book as that number?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
As someone else said, you have no idea about the other players either.

BTW, it is not your game - it is a game that is to be played by the rules and your only job is to ensure the game is played according to those rules. For the most part, you have no authority beyond what is set out in the rule book. You position does not allow you to determine who can and can't play beyond what is described in the rules that you are there to enforce.

Sorry but you blew this one IMHO.
You have got to be kidding to even bold that. My game, as in the one's I am in.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you mean 4-34-4. This states "A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player". She was on the bench and was going to be wearing an uniform so what is the issue?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She wanted too. The girl wasnt even on the bench and was in street clothes. According to 4-33-4, "A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player"

Why yes a manager is bench personnel, but she was not a team member by this rule. Unless I am misreading, which I could be. And is it legal for her to grab someone's jersey who is already listed in the book as that number?
As long as she's added to the book and she's given a number, she's a team member eligible to play. Also there's nothing that say a coach can not change a player's number. They must notify the official scorer and the referee. Only one T will be issued though.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Why do people come here and post their self-righteous garbage about how great they are when, in reality, they're f-ing it up for the rest of us.

By your logic:
The senior starting point guard -with a free ride TO Duke- arrives at the school during halftime (after attending her grandmother's funeral), dons a uniform, gets added to the book, is assessed a T, and is then PREVENTED to enter the game by .... by .... you.

Seriously?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2011, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
As long as she's added to the book and she's given a number, she's a team member eligible to play. Also there's nothing that say a coach can not change a player's number. They must notify the official scorer and the referee. Only one T will be issued though.
Can she take #21's? Who is already listed ast 21?