The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Yes 30 minutes before a game when there's only 1 game. They do not have a JV team, no game before our game. We go dressed because they don't have a shower or dressing room.
We would probably show up 40 minutes or so before the game with no preliminary game, but that's only because we have to be on the court at T-20 minutes.

If we arrived any earlier, there'd probably be nobody there to let us in.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I always send an e-mail to the AD of the school we are going to either the aftenoon before or the morning of the game. I include a line that if anything changes or if they have questions, here is my cell phone. Please give me a call. I will guarantee you if I ran into this situation after sending this e-mail, a check would be coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
While you should get paid, I also always call the school the day of to make sure everything is still scheduled as assigned. It's not required, but I find it's good practice and the ADs are almost always appreciative of my checking and confirming that we are going to show up.

Only once have I gotten the, "No, we don't have a game tonight!" message. In that case my assignor had made a mistake, and I was quite glad I called.
This is another thing that's regional. I worked in an area where we were told *never* to contact the school -- all communication before and after the game was to go through the assigner.

Here I'm emailing an AD right now working with the game that just got canceled for tonight. Thank goodness. It was a 70 mile drive and the blizzard conditions are expect to arrive right about gametime.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This is another thing that's regional. I worked in an area where we were told *never* to contact the school -- all communication before and after the game was to go through the assigner.

Here I'm emailing an AD right now working with the game that just got canceled for tonight. Thank goodness. It was a 70 mile drive and the blizzard conditions are expect to arrive right about gametime.
Speaking of blizzard, a foot of snow and 30+ mph winds in Oklahoma today. Trust me when I say folks here have no idea what to do!
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I am waiting for the cancelation of my game tonight up here too. The visiting team had school canceled today with a blizzard warning as well. I am surprised I have not yet been called. Kind of a bummer though - only an 8 mile drive to get to the game.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
I am waiting for the cancelation of my game tonight up here too. The visiting team had school canceled today with a blizzard warning as well. I am surprised I have not yet been called. Kind of a bummer though - only an 8 mile drive to get to the game.
My 70 mile drive has just been canceled. My only drive will be to pick my kid up from school later. She had a 2-hour delay this morning.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Here we get paid if we show up, travel and game fee if they forget to cancel.

I'm fully expecting a call from my assignor tomorrow.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That is the way it is here - we are to work everything through the assigner. Personally I like it that way - the less people I have to engage with over a game situation the better off I am.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Yes 30 minutes before a game when there's only 1 game. They do not have a JV team, no game before our game. We go dressed because they don't have a shower or dressing room.
I can understand no shower at some of these smaller schools, but not to have a dressing room? That's unacceptable, in my view. Even if they have to let you use the principal's office, you need to have a room to get away.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I'd had games tonight, they'd have been cancelled. Schools closed all over the Front Range.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:24am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We had a massive cancellation last Tuesday. Tornado watches and warnings all over the map. Assignor emailed us at about 1:30 pm. Asked us to contact our crews. His email said only one game would be played in the 3 county area. That was down near me, and we ended up with a late tornado warning.

By later that evening, I had 2 new games scheduled for Wednesday & Thursday. And I assume the re-scheduled games went to someone else because I was booked. It all evens out.

Last year, I had a Saturday evening game canceled at 3:30 or so. I got paid.