The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Canadian Teams

With all due respect to out Canadian brethren, if you bring a team to play in a tournament using NFHS rules please familarize yourself with the rule differences.

Doing 2 GV games today for a tourney, each game involving one Canadian team. There were numerous times in both games where the coaches were unaware of rule differences and blamed us for not informing them before the game. My partner and I were of the opinion that if a coach brings the team here to play, it's their job to know the rule differences.

For those of you out there who have worked games with teams from another country, how do you handle situations like that?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
blamed us for not informing them before the game..
That is CLASSIC.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 08:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
With all due respect to out Canadian brethren, if you bring a team to play in a tournament using NFHS rules please familarize yourself with the rule differences.

Doing 2 GV games today for a tourney, each game involving one Canadian team. There were numerous times in both games where the coaches were unaware of rule differences and blamed us for not informing them before the game. My partner and I were of the opinion that if a coach brings the team here to play, it's their job to know the rule differences.

For those of you out there who have worked games with teams from another country, how do you handle situations like that?
Thumbs down!

While yes, it is the coaches job to inform their team of rules differences, how hard is it to ask the simple question "Do you have any questions regarding rules differences?"

I've been in your situation before - with US teams coming to Canada to play, and having to use different rules.

To be frank, we see the bigger picture and accomodate the US coaches and help them with the more common differences.

The coaches appreciate it, and it shows that you're a leader. Their experience traveling to a tournament will be far better.

I think you are lazy. Just my 2 cents.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I know there are many who would say otherwise, because of our school-sizes up here, teams are very limited on their numbers and often travel with younger players and many schools do not have certified refs working in their communities, so although I may penalize something, I often try to help educate younger players (until tourney time).

You cannot know all the rule differences to try and explain to the coaches, you leave one out and it's like your making up new rules to the coaches as you go along.

Player swats a ball off the rim, penalize it and say, "You cannot play the ball while it's on the rim here."

My sister was adopted from Slovakia and was used to putting the ball on the floor after a violation instead of throwing it to the nearest official. She travelled one time, knew it and was called for it, and put the ball on the floor and went the other way. Official talked to her about getting the ball to the official and play resumed, nothing hurt and didn't happen again.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:32am
Official & Member

Kinda curious....what are some of the major differences between Canadian and US rules?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Kinda curious....what are some of the major differences between Canadian and US rules?
Canada uses FIBA rules.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I think you are lazy. Just my 2 cents.
I disagree. Most officials in the US wouldn't even know the differences between FIBA and NFHS rules. It's not their responsibility to give the coaches a rules clinic before the game.

If the coach is going across the border (either direction), he should take the time to learn the differences.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I disagree. Most officials in the US wouldn't even know the differences between FIBA and NFHS rules. It's not their responsibility to give the coaches a rules clinic before the game.

If the coach is going across the border (either direction), he should take the time to learn the differences.
Then the bigger picture involves the tournament host informing the officials that non-US teams are involved.

But like I said, that's how it's done up here. The officiating groups I've been involved with think ahead and have answers for coaches, and have no problems with being proactive.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Then the bigger picture involves the tournament host informing the officials that non-US teams are involved.

But like I said, that's how it's done up here. The officiating groups I've been involved with think ahead and have answers for coaches, and have no problems with being proactive.
Many officials don't know the NFHS rules; there's no way a typical NFHS official will know any FIBA rules.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:54am
Official & Member

Quote:
Canada uses FIBA rules.
That is quite a difference. Thanks for the info.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

And asking the coach if he has any questions on rules is going to do what?

How is this not the coach's responsibility?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:31am

Quote:
It's going to give the coach an opportunity to be clear about the new environment he's is. Like I said, it's part of the bigger picture.

Officiating in Canada, and frequently having US teams in our tournaments, I happen to know that coaches appreciate the gesture. If they feel that they are already at a disadvantage because referees don't care about their understanding of the rules, they won't wish to come back to the tournament. Being a cordial neighbour has worked well for me in the past.

Quote:
Quote:
While yes, it is the coaches job to inform their team of rules differences
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:32am

Quote:
Canada uses FIBA rules, except for Ontario high school.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm looking at this situation like doing middle school games - yes, it's the coach's responsibility to know the rules, but many times officials will do the players the courtesy of explaining the rules throughout the game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There's a difference between 'do you have any questions on the rules?" and "Here are the differences between FIBA and NFHS."

The former lets the coach clarify any differences s/he thinks are important to the team that day (can we inbond right away after an oob call?, how many tos do I get? Can anyone request them?)